What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 530W repair

Larco

Well Known Member
My 530W refused to allow the input of airport IDs This AM so it looks like it has to be sent into Garmin through a dealer. My question is from your actual experience what should be expected from Garmins flat rate repair? Do they sent it back reconditioned with things like a new glass and updated software and mapping?

Mine came back from Garmin basically a refurbished unit. It met new unit tolerances. The software and nav data was also updated. Seems like it all came to about $1k after shipping.

My 530W refused to allow the input of airport IDs This AM so it looks like it has to be sent into Garmin through a dealer. My question is from your actual experience what should be expected from Garmins flat rate repair? Do they sent it back reconditioned with things like a new glass and updated software and mapping?

Larry,

From my experience, Garmin will only fix things that are obviously wrong with the unit. I was told by my avionics dealer to specifically innumerate everything I wanted taken care of, for example "Screen antiglare worn, please replace screen; replace internal battery (always do this IMHO), buttons stick or don't function occasionally, please repair all button functionality; buttons are faded, please replace; update to latest version; etc..". Garmin has been very good about fixing everything you list as needing attention. Garmin did not update my navigation database.

Back