What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old RV-6 kit

John Con

Hello everyone!
I recently picked up an RV-6 project from an estate sale. It is an older kit (forget the exact year, I am not near the paperwork at the moment). Like every project it is 90% done with 99% left to complete. Trying to puzzle it together and figure out exactly where this good fellow left off. I have noticed a few differences between this and my current flying RV-6.
My first question, is: The front spar of the horizontal stabilizer is secured by only 2 bolts. I have noticed that on my current RV the front spar has 4 bolts fastening it to the fuselage. Shall I go ahead and drill the 2 extra holes, or will 2 suffice?
Thank you all in advance, as I will probably have more questions,
John

Hello everyone!
I recently picked up an RV-6 project from an estate sale. It is an older kit (forget the exact year, I am not near the paperwork at the moment). Like every project it is 90% done with 99% left to complete. Trying to puzzle it together and figure out exactly where this good fellow left off. I have noticed a few differences between this and my current flying RV-6.
My first question, is: The front spar of the horizontal stabilizer is secured by only 2 bolts. I have noticed that on my current RV the front spar has 4 bolts fastening it to the fuselage. Shall I go ahead and drill the 2 extra holes, or will 2 suffice?
Thank you all in advance, as I will probably have more questions,
John

I don't see any plans revisions for the qty of bolts. I would add the two missing bolts and also make sure the ones in place are located correctly.

If you don't have a set of plans, be sure to get some before moving forward.

I think vans mountain will issue a one time set of plans for your kit with all the latest revisions. I did this and went to a local office supply and had that set copied so as to have a set for the cave and one in the vault in mint condition.

I think vans mountain will issue a one time set of plans for your kit with all the latest revisions. I did this and went to a local office supply and had that set copied so as to have a set for the cave and one in the vault in mint condition.
What he said!

Bought my RV-6 built and flying in 2008 but with no plans.
For each registered project Van's will sell one additional set at a knockdown price. The idea is that later in the build one gets a fully updated set of blurb. Includes the latest build manual too.
My set has been invaluable for maintaining the plane, and also interesting to see where my older plane (it first flew in '94) varies from the final RV-6 spec (such as the pedal assemblies).

Last edited:
Hi John,

I would purchase a set of plans from Van's and also register the purchase of the kit with them so you will be the "on file builder/owner". You will need this when you register with the FAA. They want a bill of sale from Van's.

When you purchase an incomplete kit, it is in your best interest to follow the building instructions from the start and check off each step as you confirm that they are complete and done correctly.

As you progress with the build, you will not need to question if the past work was done properly...... It will follow into your first and several flights. Do install the bolts as they do show on the plans.

My partially started -6A had four bolts there and I believe that was what the plans called for. Be certain that the proper edge distances were observed back there. Might need a mirror if you can't measure by feel. I had problems that had to be rectified due to the previous builder making errors.

Larry

Back