What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magneto overhaul

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Please share your preferences/experiences for organizations that overhaul magnetos. Good and bad.
Thanks.
Johan

Magneto service

I used a guy in Loveland, CO who knew a lot about mags and did a great job on servicing my Slicks. Name is Crossfire Magneto

Near Love Field in Dallas

Walt Aronow at Exp Aircraft had me take my mag to a place over by Love Field in Dallas. A guy and his son run the business, and the guy has been doing mags for decades. He found the problem with my mag quickly, had the parts, made the repairs and tested the mag all in a couple of days. The mag's worked perfectly ever since. Reasonably priced and nice people too. I can't find the address and contact number but I would use them again.

I will be at the hanger Tuesday and will look in the log books for the name and number.

Or call Walt at 972-746-5154. He probably has the info handy.

I've used them plenty, good work very reasonable prices.

Joe's Aircraft Ignition Service
(Love Field)
2733 Brookfield Ave Dallas, TX 75235‎
(214) 357-2344

Last edited:
Thanks Walt. They did such a great job I wanted to make sure we gave them a good plug. I'll put their info into my phone now so I have it the next time someone needs a referral.

I used a guy in Loveland, CO who knew a lot about mags and did a great job on servicing my Slicks. Name is Crossfire Magneto

I have used them and highly recommend them. The mags came back looking brand new and working great. Fast and friendly service.

Slick Magneto Overhaul recommendation

In August of 2013 on my return trip from Oshkosh via Mackinac Island and the Air Force museum in Dayton, I had a magneto failure while crossing the Mississippi river and landed in Caruthersville, MO at Dyersburg Avionics hangar.
They recommended MAGNETO ER in Bald Knob, AR. I can tell you that in 52 years of flying, I have never been more pleased with emergency services while on a trip. Magneto ER (think: Emergency Room) gave me a recent Slick right mag for my RV-6 with a 500 hr inspection and yellow tag for $400 (exchange) plus $15.00 for next day UPS to the Dyersburg Avionics hangar (who gratiously hangared my RV-6 overnignt and allowed me to do my own work in their hangar). Incidentally, I highly recommend all to get a magneto buzz box (and learn how to use it as well as how to properly time a mag after reinstallation).

Regards,

Marshall Dues
Katy, TX
RV-6 N243MD
SN 20665 1440 hrs

http://www.qaa.com

Quality Aircraft Accessories. Outstanding! I shipped my mag from Georgia on a Monday. I got it back on Friday just in time to go out to an EAA pancake breakfast on Saturday. Competitive prices.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Looking for updates on this thread - I have a Slick 4373 that needs a 500-hr inspection on this upcoming annual. Suggestions?

As Jerry E said:

http://www.qaa.com

Quality Aircraft Accessories. Outstanding!

I dropped my magneto off in the morning for overhaul, went for a long lunch and picked it up after lunch. I did call them the previous day to coordinate the work.

I would have used Aircraft Magneto Service as I think they were well recommended by Mike Bush, but don't quote me. However I wound up using Aircraft Systems, Inc. (Rockford, IL) because they were much closer to me, reducing shipping time and cost. Also, they had been mentioned by the Slick/Champion chief tech as being reputable. This was for my 500hr check, resulting in replacement breaker cam and a used/serviceable coil. Good communications and service, but I didn't particularly appreciate $41 in return shipment and credit card fees. USPS shipping would have been cheaper and 3% "credit card convenience fee" was a total surprise.

Yep - use this guy

In August of 2013 on my return trip from Oshkosh via Mackinac Island and the Air Force museum in Dayton, I had a magneto failure while crossing the Mississippi river and landed in Caruthersville, MO at Dyersburg Avionics hangar.
They recommended MAGNETO ER in Bald Knob, AR. I can tell you that in 52 years of flying, I have never been more pleased with emergency services while on a trip. Magneto ER (think: Emergency Room) gave me a recent Slick right mag for my RV-6 with a 500 hr inspection and yellow tag for $400 (exchange) plus $15.00 for next day UPS to the Dyersburg Avionics hangar (who gratiously hangared my RV-6 overnignt and allowed me to do my own work in their hangar). Incidentally, I highly recommend all to get a magneto buzz box (and learn how to use it as well as how to properly time a mag after reinstallation).

Regards,

Marshall Dues
Katy, TX
RV-6 N243MD
SN 20665 1440 hrs

If you don't need a yellow tag, this fella will work with you either way. I've been using them for quite a while...

Back