What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GAP 26 Pitot Install question

rmr

I have the regulated Garmin Gap 26-20 pitot, with a Gretz mast. The directions state that with a heated pitot you need at least 8 inches of aluminum before running into the plastic tubes to protect the plastic from heat. How are builders installing this pitot with regards to future maintenance? My installation is one bay inboard of the bellcrank and I need the aluminum tubing to turn inboard once entering the wing. My concern is that once this turn is made it would make it impossible to remove the pitot for future maintenance without re-bending the aluminum tube from the pitot and risk breaking it. Any suggestions on ways others have handled this transition into the wing?

I have a different brand pitot but as I recall I let the aluminum tubing go up a couple of extra inches inside the wing before the 90 bend inboard.
To remove, I drop the pitot straight down until the main body is clear of the mount; rotate 90 degrees so the bend in the wing is now the "long way" with regard to the pitot mount; then rotating the pitot in the fore or aft direction while pulling down allowed it all to come out with minimum stress.
Practice with some scrap tubing.

Pitot

2B3D5B24-AED6-48D3-8B36-7C12656CA624.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There are AN3 90 to safeair fitting. Length determined by measuring from bottom of mast to one inch off top skin. This meet the min length plus requirement for heat.

William Bennett
RV8a for sale
RV7 finishing

Back