What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vent Line Clip

David Paule

Well Known Member
This is the little part that holds the outboard end of the vent line in place. I made mine per the drawing, and am now wondering why it holds the end of the vent line about a half inch or so below the top of the tank. Except for not wanting it to rub the top of the tank, I don't see any benefit to the offset.

So what am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave
Now building tanks.....

Dave -

The offset shown in the plans for the tank (top view) is to place the vent at the highest location when in level flight (I believe). But what I did for the actual vent end was to turn it up toward the underside of the tank leaving about 1/8 to 3/16 inch clearance so the opening would be in "clear air" as much of the time as possible. Did the same thing in the Rocket - 12 yrs & 900 hours later, no problems.

David

I just filled my quick build tanks to the top doing level calibration. One tank held 30 gallons and the vent dribbled fuel. When the fuel was pumped into the other tank fuel poured out of the vent.

After moving some fuel into the empty tank, I reached thru the filler cap and felt the end of the vent about 1/2" below the top of the tank. I simply bent the tube up until it touched the top of the tank. Should give me the max capacity.

Dave,

Here's a couple pictures of what I did prior to proseal. The vent line has a nice gradual bend at the end. Also, I scalloped the end of the tube for added mental comfort.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

fueltankvent_zps320a533a.jpg

fueltankvent2_zps5fd6d151.jpg

Back