What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

$12 stick-on tail cam

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

So in paragliding acro land folks have lately started using the 'MD80' camera. These are cheap (eBay $12 including shipping + $10 for a micro SD card from Amazon) cameras that are the size of a stick of gum, record 2 hrs of good quality video on their rechargable battery.

I thought I'd try one on my RV. The prop tear (due to the CMOS sensor in the camera) was pretty bad when I tried taping it to my canopy handle. Next time I'll try the top of the VS and it will hopefully be less noticeable.

Other possible locations for this tiny camera: wing tips, wheel pants, looking backwards, monitoring tufting etc...

At $22 total cost, even if it falls off it wouldn't be the end of the world. Here is my first little (virtually unedited) video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3jx7UTbb0

For more info about these cameras see: http://chucklohr.com/808/ (This site is mostly about the 808 camera, but the MD80 is better for our usage).

Here's a photo to show scale:

http://i.imgur.com/6e0Q0.jpg

Last edited:
fun

Nice. I did kinda the same thing, but I bought the cheap spycam that is shaped like a cigarette lighter. I thought it would be easier to duct tape.

looks something like this
200912151718492.jpg

BTW: did you go to the maker faire there in san mateo? I didn't make it this year.

Neat. Doesn't look bad at all for a bargin priced setup. I would definitely like to see a video taken from the tail camera position. The propeller distracts from the video so heavily in the cockpit location. Perhaps you would like the video from being taped to the wings' leading edge, far enough out so as not to pick up the prop arc. Sort of an uninterrupted superman view:D.

Thanks for sharing

George

BTW: did you go to the maker faire there in san mateo? I didn't make it this year.

Not this year, though the last year (or year before? I don't recall) I went and taught a continuous riveting workshop for the EAA.

cam specs

thanks for sharing Kevin,
great stuff!.....
(Excuse me while I go and hurl.....that strobing prop just weirds me out???/..:(
but seriously, what is up with the CCD. If I want to buy a cam, and avoid this, is it just 'shutter speed'? which isn't adjustable on the mini cheap cams right?
the picture quality is plenty good for me, as someone said, I'd like to tuft some areas and review before I put on VG's or other aero changes!..like the belly sub cowl.

thanks again!

thanks for sharing Kevin,
great stuff!.....
(Excuse me while I go and hurl.....that strobing prop just weirds me out???/..:(
but seriously, what is up with the CCD. If I want to buy a cam, and avoid this, is it just 'shutter speed'? which isn't adjustable on the mini cheap cams right?
the picture quality is plenty good for me, as someone said, I'd like to tuft some areas and review before I put on VG's or other aero changes!..like the belly sub cowl.

thanks again!

Problem (for the most part) is, it is NOT a CCD, it is a CMOS sensor.

Here is a table of Pros & Cons between the two sensor types:
http://www.dalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx

Last edited:
I really wasn't expecting the image quality to be nearly that good.

I just bought one on eBay for $10.78. Are you SERIOUS? And that includes free shipping! I have to believe that if I wanted to ship a package to China it would cost me much more than $10.78. It's like getting the camera for FREE!

It's gonna take a month to get here, but when it does, it'll be fun thinking of ways to use it ... hehehe ... :D

I really wasn't expecting the image quality to be nearly that good.

I just bought one on eBay for $10.78. Are you SERIOUS? And that includes free shipping! I have to believe that if I wanted to ship a package to China it would cost me much more than $10.78. It's like getting the camera for FREE!

It's gonna take a month to get here, but when it does, it'll be fun thinking of ways to use it ... hehehe ... :D

Yeah - except for the prop tears due to CMOS sensors, the image quality is awesome.

Yep. I bought mine from China. Here's the vendor I used: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=110539229595&view=all&tid=530165099001

It arrived 6 business days after I ordered. $12 including shipping. The way they do this: the sensor is now <$1 (due to cell phone demand) and they use flash parts that failed testing at the cell companies. You'll want to buy your micro-sd card _not_ through eBay because they have many fakes out there - use amazon.

Will the camera work without the micro-sd card? I just ordered this camera...do I need to go ahead and order the sd card?

Rolling Shutter - CMOS Sensor

I just noticed something while looking at some video 'plug-ins' for Sony Vegas.

The prop tearing effect seen in these inexpensive cameras with CMOS sensors is caused by the 'rolling shutter'; that is where different bands of the image are captured at different times.

In the "Video Essentials III" effects package put out by NewBlueFX, there is a 'rolling shutter effect' that claims 'Rolling Shutter, which repairs the common wobble and skew damage that affects many video cameras using CMOS sensors'.

Might be worth seeing how much of the prop artifact gets removed?

I wonder if I could duck tape that thing to my Gretz pitot mast. That would keep it away from the prop and give it a clear view ahead. Maybe get two and aim one aft and then stitch them together.

My camera arrived over the weekend. Wow. I still don't understand how they can make this thing -- include the USB cable, an AC adapter for charging, three different camera mounts, a condom-protector-thingy, the packagaing AND shipping for under 11 bucks!

I took some preliminary videos just to see if it really worked, and if my computer would upload them with no hiccups, and it worked just dandy. The instructions are humorous to read -- love those transliterations.

I think I'll make a camera mount that will attach to the wing tie-down hole and see if that gets it out of the prop arc. Can't wait to give it a whirl ...

Oh, BTW, guys ... the spousal unit very quickly anticipated the liklihood of the camera being secretly placed around the house and capturing events that she'd really prefer NOT be recorded -- you know, like her doing dishes :D -- and has issued a warning that lethal force WILL be used if that happens. Take note.

Duct tape camera mount

I wonder if I could duck tape that thing to my Gretz pitot mast. That would keep it away from the prop and give it a clear view ahead. Maybe get two and aim one aft and then stitch them together.

Keeping in the spirit of the $12 camera, I mounted mine with about $.02 worth of duct tape and a small wedge to get the angle right on my pitot mast Here is the test video. It is interesting that the camera is vibration sensitive, note the waviness as the rpm goes below the governor on final. This is "proof of concept" not exactly high art. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP9QPCFguwE

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Sunshine's paint...

Thanks David!

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Could someone post a link for a source to buy the camera ? Thanks

Log onto eBay and search for "MD80". You'll find a whole lot of 'em (cameras, not airliners!). The choice seems to be pay a penny for the camera and pay shipping, or pay #10-12 bucks for the camera and get shipping for free. Either way, it's an unbelievable deal.

Last edited:
Remote Record Switch

Has anyone wired up a remote record switch to the MD80 clone? I received mine last Saturday and made a simple bracket to mount it to aircraft using the wing tie-down point. Used up quite a bit of my 2GB memory just getting ready for take off. A remote switch could be used to save memory. Just ordered 8GB memory and a second camera to play with.

Has anyone wired up a remote record switch to the MD80 clone? I received mine last Saturday and made a simple bracket to mount it to aircraft using the wing tie-down point. Used up quite a bit of my 2GB memory just getting ready for take off. A remote switch could be used to save memory. Just ordered 8GB memory and a second camera to play with.

I have not, but I have opened the unit and looked inside. Should be pretty easy, but if I was getting that serious I might step up to a fancier camera. I get a little less than 2 hrs of video on an 8gb card.

Yup, that's the item. I made a simple mounting bracket tonight after work and used the tie-down ring as the mount. Went up for a quickie flight and it worked like a charm! There's a noticeable "waviness" to the image, which I presume is from vibration. I'm going to experiment with a sturdier mounting bracket and see if that eliminates the issue.

Now, if I only had a clue about editing video files and posting them ...

Now, if I only had a clue about editing video files and posting them ...

Windows Moviemaker - came free with Windows, and while not Hollywood quality, it is fairly quick to learn via hunt and peck.....

What the heck.

For $12, I got one too. We'll see -- it sounds neat. Dave

For $12, I got one too. We'll see -- it sounds neat. Dave

Mine arrived today, just unpacked it and fired it up. Amazing.....the thing works as advertised. Was even able to use the CD to copy the time setting file properly.

A few pieces of duct tape will take this little puppy on some interesting rides. :)

Me too.

Mine also came yesterday. Made three test movies then nada, nothing, zip, zero. Files were there but just wouldn't play. Took the sd card out and reformatted on the pc. Now, all is good. http://chucklohr.com/808/ is a good read for the 808 key chain camera in the original post.

Next, duct tape.

Mine arrived today, just unpacked it and fired it up. Amazing.....the thing works as advertised. Was even able to use the CD to copy the time setting file properly.

A few pieces of duct tape will take this little puppy on some interesting rides. :)

Harrumph. Mine didn't come with any CD. The instructions mentioned one, but there wasn't one. So far, though, I haven't seen the need for one either.

Gotta figure out how to set the time and date yet ...

Harrumph. Mine didn't come with any CD. The instructions mentioned one, but there wasn't one. So far, though, I haven't seen the need for one either.

Gotta figure out how to set the time and date yet ...

Don, the CD with my camera includes a little text file (tag.txt) you copy to the card with the current date and time. When the camera boots, it read the file, sets its internal clock, then deletes the file.

Below is the file, save it as TAG.TXT

[date]
2009/08/24
19:20:00

Edit it to the current date and time and put it in the root of your card. When you boot the camera it will start with your date/time info.

The other files on the CD are drivers for using the camera as a web cam.

Which vendor you guys using on Ebay? I would like to know which one is a good one before I play the lottery and just pick one...

Kevin,

I appreciate your response....I tried that one first but the link provided shows up as broken......:confused:

Don, the CD with my camera includes a little text file (tag.txt) you copy to the card with the current date and time. When the camera boots, it read the file, sets its internal clock, then deletes the file.

Below is the file, save it as TAG.TXT

[date]
2009/08/24
19:20:00

Edit it to the current date and time and put it in the root of your card. When you boot the camera it will start with your date/time info.

The other files on the CD are drivers for using the camera as a web cam.

Ha! You do know, Sam, that all of that might as well have been written in Chinese to me. I'm lucky to know how to turn on a computer!

Actually, the instructions said something about that kind of file. I'll go back and re-read the instructions and see if I can change the time that way.

eBay

Brantel. I ordered one last night from the link on post #26. It clicked right to the auction. Dave

Brantel. I ordered one last night from the link on post #26. It clicked right to the auction. Dave

Saw that one earlier but I was looking for a report that it worked out for him. I have never ordered anything on Ebay from a China based vendor....I know it is only 12 bucks but....I figured using one of the vendors that these guys had success with would be safer.

Saw that one earlier but I was looking for a report that it worked out for him. I have never ordered anything on Ebay from a China based vendor....I know it is only 12 bucks but....I figured using one of the vendors that these guys had success with would be safer.

It takes a little longer to arrive but it was hassle free. Paid through Paypal. I also ordered a mini memory card for it that came from Taiwan and for some reason they sent it registered mail. Both arrived within two weeks. The vendor I purchased the camera from also sends a variety of mounts with it but the camera is so small I think a little tape or a tie wrap will work best.

The vendor in post #37 was awesome (the original I started the thread with).

Just one more reminder: buy your micro SD card from amazon (class 4 or higher) not eBay. There are many fakes on eBay that have very high error rates, are too slow, labeled 8GB but actually 2GB etc...

I tried out my MD80 camera yesterday by duct taping it to my tie down ring under the left wing. I used some bunched up felt between the ring and camera to get the right angle. Overall, it seemed to work well with no vibration/wobbling problems.

The only issue that I have is a studder that occurs every ~1:15 of recorded time. It almost seems as though it can't record fast enough. I'm using a 8GB class 4 Kingston card purchased from Amazon. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuLLrqRu_f8

I tried out my MD80 camera yesterday by duct taping it to my tie down ring under the left wing. I used some bunched up felt between the ring and camera to get the right angle. Overall, it seemed to work well with no vibration/wobbling problems.

The only issue that I have is a studder that occurs every ~1:15 of recorded time. It almost seems as though it can't record fast enough. I'm using a 8GB class 4 Kingston card purchased from Amazon. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuLLrqRu_f8
Is the shudder in the raw video or just the YouTube version?
An experiment to rule out the card would be to get a small class 6 or better card & see if the shudder is still there.
Another thing you might do is to run SD card speed tests on the card to verify it is really class 4.

I flew with my camera duct taped to the vertical stab yesterday for first time. Bad vibration:(. I know what it is...I put a piece of foam between the camera and the VS skin thinking to cushion the camera and protect the skin. I'm sure this foam gave enough that it caused vibration in the wind stream. Next time I'll put some protective tape between the camera and skin, then tape camera on. Other than the vibration, it worked fine. Still haven't figured out how to set the time and date...I'm not computer smart.

Is the shudder in the raw video or just the YouTube version?
An experiment to rule out the card would be to get a small class 6 or better card & see if the shudder is still there.
Another thing you might do is to run SD card speed tests on the card to verify it is really class 4.
Thanks for the ideas. The studder is in the raw video. I copied a large (1.9GB) file to the camera via the USB cable and after settling out, it was transferring at 5.2MB/s, which I believe is well above class 4 requirements. The youtube video times that the studder occurs is 3:27, 4:46, 6:49, 8:38.

Mine came with a CD, but it is blank! Anyone willing to send me the software over the internet? or is there a website where it can be downloaded?

Mine is blank, too. Can someone email me the files? I'll post them and add a link to the thread, so it's in the archive.

Thanks...

-Rob

Prop tears

Got my camera, tried it out in the Jabiru yesterday. Neat!! The sound of the air rushing past was louder than the sound of the engine inside the cockpit.

Is there a way to edit the prop effect from the rolling shutter out using software? This thing would be awesome to mindlessly capture the arrival into OSH. (Set it and forget it and worry about what's important...)

info

My camera showed up, cant beat the price but the silly little manual was not created by anyone remotely familiar with english. The translation is horrible. Anyway, if anyone found a link to a decent instruction folder or video of working these and would them be kind enough to post or email me it would be really appreciated. Amazing what $12 bucks gets you but...just need to be familiar with using it now.

Back