What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex Updates

pvalovich

Well Known Member
I used Sikaflex to glue my -8A canopy after investigaating numerous postings regarding the gluing process. That was nearly two years ago (the plane still isn't flying but getting close). Haven't seen much activity - or contoversy - recently regarding the gluing alternative.

Anyone have any war stories - good or bad - about their glued canopy ops?

When I first started messing with Sikaflex three years ago, I glued a piece of round aluminum tube to a scrap piece of plexi and threw it up into one of the rain gutters, to see what the long-term UV resistance it has. Just last weekend I remembered to check on it while doing some yard work. The plexi has yellowed a little bit but the sika bond still remains flexible and strong.

Still strong...

My 7A tipup is still solid as a rock after 2 years (1.5 flying). It has seen Michigan winters and the heat of Florida.
I haven't heard a single problem report. :cool:

You guys that used Sikaflex, did you use any bolts/screws on your canopy at all. I like the Sika idea, I don't want any holes in the canopy.

one hole

The only hole in my canopy is for the latch handle. I have a slider. Side skirts are glued to canopy and riveted to canopy frame. The aft skirts are alum and glued to the canopy and riveted on each side where it overlaps the side skirts. Just finished those within the last couple of weeks.:eek:

4 yrs, 350 hours, one hole (for the slider handle) - Would definitely do it again.

cracks

I used Sika on my slider. Every stupid stinking rivet hole is cracking out.

Oh wait...

A small cosmetic problem.

The paint has not adhered so well to the Sikaflex in places. Anyone? In fact in one place it has cracked away.

The bond to the frame is as solid as a rock.

What do you mean?

I used Sika on my slider. Every stupid stinking rivet hole is cracking out.

Oh wait...
I can't tell if this is a joke or if this is a serious comment by someone who is disappointed with Sikaflex. Can you clear this up.

Back