What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which shims create the proper profile for a tip up canopy?

Moondog

Well Known Member
Which is the proper cross-section profile of the C-702 canopy skin on WD-716 canopy frame tube?

There is more skin than frame. Vans support suggested I made a mistake. I think not. See diagram.
Thanks,
David

j9oxev.jpg

David, if the canopy frame is properly assembled and adjusted in 3 key areas, there is no reason that the contour won't match. Do some research on VAF to get the details.

I found that there are 3 areas for attention, in order: 1. center splice (counter between hinges), 2. channel vertical alignment when riveting the hinge bases, then 3, the frame channels outboard of the hinges, by forcing/bending the them (pivoting at the hinge area) to match the fuse. All the holes might not match this way. All but 4 did on mine. Shims are going to make a large number of holes mismatch.

So doing all that, mine matches, but it might all go TU when it is finally installed with forward skin riveted.

Oh - important note - put clecos in every single hole in the forward skin and canopy fame skin in this process. Reassemble in the same order each time.

Oops, you are only talking about the spacers for the tube - different. I just made mine match the contour with individual spacers. I made a dimple die to dimple the top of the tube so flush rivets could be used. I mine are closer to your top photo. The spacers are epoxy to the tube and riveted through the skin with a long (flush) pull rivet. The R/L sides were slightly different dimensions for me.

Left side
IMG_0577.JPG

individual spacer:
IMG_0573.JPG

How they were made from bar stock. Note the bent vise handle, I (stupidly) did not have the vice bolted down and got the after work opportunity to machine an all new threaded handle for the vise slide.
IMG_0571.JPG

Last edited:
Great photos, Bill. I already have some aluminum stock just like your spacers. Will try that.
Thanks,
David

I made mine same way as Bill L.
There was little other way to deal with the mismatch.
Spacers.....

Common problem....not your fault....

Shims are the answer.

Next will be the scoops where the canopy won't match up to the fuse.....another common issue.

Back