What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward latch slot

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hello again,

I'm getting ready to make the slots in the forward side skin for the latch mechanism on my tip-up canopy. Anyone have any suggestions on getting nice, neat slots made?

Thanks,

Tom

I drilled undersized pilot holes then used Dremel to make rough cuts between them. Finished with small files. It took a while. Take your time here Tom it's a very visible spot :)

Slot

Hi Tom. I think I did mine with a cut disk then
Cleaned it up with a file.

Last edited:
Just like VLAD said! Using cutoff wheels in the Dremel. I assume that's what he used.

Being paranoid

Ok, I've made a few boo boos lately and I'm putting this in the "measure 10 times, cut once" category before I cut into my baby :eek:. Is this template positioning correct?

The "holes" along the top of the template are lined-up with side-skin top rivets, and the top left rivet is 48 9/16 forward of the front side skin aft edge.

Thanks again everyone,

Tom

No comment on positioning but some advice that helped me

My handle is different (JD Airparts). My plans called for first making cutouts in an .032 aluminum template. I traced the cutout onto the fuse with a sharpie
which meant that the marks had to be filed off in order that I end up with the proper size.

Here's the advice FWIW--if your marks will end up being removed, you might consider making a second set of parallel sharpie marks 1/16" outside the first set
in order to maintain a visual reference so you can keep the file cuts straight.

Good luck.
2mpy0rl.jpg

Thanks for the advice David.

Can anyone else check the positioning of my template on the fuselage?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone who helped me verify position and gave advice on cutting technique. I'm very pleased with the end result.

Nice.

Very nice job. I know you must be relieved. It's a little unnerving when you first cut into a perfectly good piece of metal.

Back