What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elderly Father Needs Help Getting Out of Plane

tciavola

My elderly father has a hard time getting in and out of my RV-9A. Does anyone have any solutions? Center console? Handle?

It is not a cost effective solution, but the health industry makes one called the ELK Lift Cushion

It is a stack of inflatable pillows that one sits on. I am wondering how to get my spouse, and sponsor, out of the 7 too.

Apparently, the only segment more expensive than certified aviation is certified health hardware.

First, if you haven't already, install handles on the rollbar. I would assume you would want one for each seat, but its not absolutely necessary. That will give him something to grab onto to help pull himself up to a standing position on the seat. There are a few vendors that supply decent looking handles and the associated hardware that might chime in here.

Secondly, when he is ready to exit, try standing up yourself in the pilots seat, and grabbing on to his left hand to further assist with getting him into a standing position on his seat. With his right hand on the roll bar handle and his left hand in your right hand, that should get him over the hump. The rest I'll leave up to you, but an extra hand getting him off the wing might be good.

good luck

Would something like this help???

2b66ad419d13c6346e5b6e03d32b7591.jpg

You don't have to be elderly and a father to have a hard time getting out of an RV. Well, I am both of those, but it is still not easy. If you have a tip up, it may be harder. I built a wood mock up of a center seat divider to push on, but it wasn't much help. I think the best would be for you to get out, get on the wing on his side and help him. If you figure something out, lots of us will anxious to know. Good luck

The handles are a big help and they are also a great place to hang a work light.
There is an advertiser on here that sells a center console type cushion that is said to make it easier to get in and out.

bosun's chair?

How about a clothe bosun's chair lifted by two strong men (one on each wing walk) using a beam across the cockpit and supported on the shoulder of each of the lifters. I'm assuming that once your father is in the standing position on the seat he can take it from there. You would have to lower him into the seated position and let him sit on the bosun's chair duing the flight.

Took my 91 year old mom up in my recently completed 6A. Getting her up and out of her seat was harder than I expected. We had no mechanical help, just my wife and I trying to lift under each arm. John

If an RV has one downfall, ease of entry and exit is it. But if we didn't "wear" the RV like we do, it wouldn't have that special appeal like RV's do. Just my two cents, of course. ;)

bosun's chair?

It also occurs to me that if your plane is in a hanger you could support the bosun's chair from a structural beam and use a block and tackle for mechanical advantage.
I think West Marine sells bosun's chairs (West Marine Premium Bosun's Chair, model# 10406940 for $185) which sailors use to work in the rigging of their boats. Robert Redford uses one in the movie "All is Lost". Once again this assumes your father just needs a little help getting his feet up onto the seat. John

Last edited:
RV-4 is easier on old folks

Sorry I don't offer any useful suggestion to the op; but I flew all over the place with my dear little ole Dad right up to the time he departed at age 95.

Due to the presence of the roll bar, ingress & egress was slow; but a non-issue. It was a major issue in a RV-6. My Dad was quite frail & had bad ankles (both broken when a young man working on railroad).

Just sharing my experience. I wish all the best with their parents. There just isn't any more satisfying wonderful experience than sharing flight in an RV with parents.:D Good luck & God Bless all you taking or trying to take your peeps for a ride. I truly wish you the best!!

"Silver Eagles"

Hope someone can find a way to market a rig like that. (Maybe in a kit built version) We could start a "Silver Eagles" program, and help more folks fill out their bucket list. Some of my best passengers have been elderly ladies that just wanted to fly in a small plane. John

On a tip-up, you can cut the seat backs down to about an inch over the brace. You can then scoot up, place your elbows on top of the seat and lift yourself up to where you can stand in the seat, or sit on the top of the seat back.

Short seat back?????? No loss of comfort.

Also makes it easier to load the cargo area.

I cut my seat backs even with the brace

really does help, but my buddy has gotten to the point he is going to need the lift ---- working on adapting my engine hoist.

R.

I question the prudence of taking anyone in a light aircraft that does not have the motive capability to ingress and exit an aircraft considering getting out might be a top priority in an emergency.

Cheers, Hans

... How about a clothe bosun's chair lifted by two strong men (one on each wing walk)

Be careful - some of the RV A models can drop on the tail with two people on the wing (one each side).

Dan

Back