What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip up canopy release question

Moondog

Well Known Member
See photo below. Trusted the plans instead of my gut. Now what?

Prior to the photo, the C-611 bearing blocks and WD-617 canopy release latch were gently clamped in position against the F-705 bulkhead. The hooks on the latch rotated in and out of the bulkhead slots perfectly. But from behind the bulkhead, the horizontal lines marking the vertical alignment of the top holes in the bearing blocks were not centered in the bulkhead pilot holes.

Trusting the plans, I raised the blocks to center the lines then tightened the clamps. Drilled the blocks following the directions. And now both hooks only partially fit in the slots. This can?t be right.

jja78o.jpg

Unlikely that this is by design, so I've got three options.
1. Order new C-611 bearing blocks and trust my gut
2. Shave off the top part of the hook
3. Elongate the top of the bulkhead slots

Besides safety issues, I am concerned options 2 and 3 might create a future alignment problem. Any opinions are appreciated.

I'd elongate the slots, it doesn't look like it will take much to do so. The latches added to the canopy will be placed where needed, so no worries there. I recall mine moved slightly too...

The slots are elongated to allow the hook enough depth to fully engage the roller "tang" (or whatever its called) on the canopy. This will take a lot of tinkering to get just right. Keep playing with it & build on...

I had the same problem.
I elongated the slot and still had interference with the top of the arm.
I ended up grinding the top of the arm off about a sixteenth.
There is still plenty of metal where the arm latches the canopy so strength is not compromised.

Vans said wait

Gus at Vans responded:
Probably the easiest at this point is simply to elongate the bulkhead
holes for the hooks, if necessary. I would wait to do this until you
have the canopy frame in place and can fit the WD-622 brackets. The
vertical position of these can be adjusted to allow for any variation
in the height of the hooks/blocks. The holes in the bulkhead are just
for clearance, their final size is not important so long as they
don't impede the hooks from engaging the WD-622s properly.

Back