What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why not Prince Prop?

martyh

Why is Prince not mentioned often as a suitable prop for RV aircraft? The carbon P-tip Prince is beautiful to look at. I have read everything I can find on the forums and don't see any reason to suggest why Prince propellers should not be more popular on RV's except for leading edge protection which is an issue with many brands of props.

I have a 150hp RV-6 (N155DR) with a nice A-D prop installed. I am very happy with it's performance both in climb and cruise. I'm stuck of course though if it ever gets a crack or requires other work to it so I'm beginning the search for a new prop and will put the A-D away as a spare depending on which one performs better. Prince and Catto 2 blades are on the radar. The Catto 3 blade looks really nice but I'm not sure 2 blades are not more appropriate for 150hp. I am not interested in any C/S props.

Last edited:
Why is Prince not mentioned often as a suitable prop for RV aircraft?

Probably the Prince owners and operators are so happy flying the props that have no time to waste bragging online :D

Very nice looking props saw couple of them at Oshkosh.

I had a prince on my varieze. Was always stressed about picking up gravel on taxi and runups etc. I am so much happier and stress free with a metal prop. Given of course this sort of thing is more of a canard problem in general

I have a Prince prop on my 160HP RV6 and I am pleased with it. It is very smooth and performs well. I recommend you call Lonnie Prince and discuss your situation.

Prince Props

I have a Prince Carbon Fiber P-tip prop on my 160 HP RV-4 and love it. The workmanship and performance of my prop is fantastic. I would strongly recommend anyone to consider Prince if they are looking for this type of prop for their airplane. Additionally, Lonnie is a super nice, knowledgeable and helpful guy to deal with.

Running a Prince Q-tip on an RV-9. Came with the project, so didn't choose it, but have been very satisfied. Flying off grass strip - no issues. Great prop.

Knocking on this wood desk. ;)

here's why not

Started my research on props some time ago. Decided on Catto. Ruled out Prince based on an old post from another forum. This may or may not be a good product, it doesn?t matter to me. It was Mr. Prince?s response (read last sentence) that eliminated this prop from consideration.

Started my research on props some time ago. Decided on Catto. Ruled out Prince based on an old post from another forum. This may or may not be a good product, it doesn?t matter to me. It was Mr. Prince?s response (read last sentence) that eliminated this prop from consideration.

Umm, it looked like they were talking about Radio Control Airplanes? Much higher RPM. Not sure that is relevant.

Moondog. Which statement turned you off? The offering of 10% off a new prop?

We have a 7a (w/ o-360) on the field with a Prince prop. There was some serous damage to it (huge nick on the front face, not a rock. bullet damage is our guess). It flew fine with the damage (flown not knowing about damage), and was repaired fairly quickly.

So, I would not be concerned with the structure more than any other composite prop. Turn around time on repair was in line with other props.

Cant speak to the performance, but I can't catch him. :)

I ahd Prince props on my 8 when I bought it. It was a cruise pitch of 93 inches. Even with my angle valve 200HP engine it took a while to get rolling, but it was fast. I talked with Lonnie several times and he made me another with an 83 pitch which was great.

I eventually went CS, but the service and the props from Prince were fantastic.

I used to compete in giant scale model airplane aerobatics and know how those guys are. Heck, read their thread and you get the taste of what Prince puts up with in that market. I don't view their handling of that situation against them or project it to indicate how they would handle full scale propeller issues so that doesn't concern me at all. As an argument against using them for a full scale prop doesn't hold water to me. My question was why I don't read much about Prince props on RV's. Enough people flying Prince came forward with positive comments when I asked. I think the early comment in this thread that said the Prince guys are out flying rather than posting on the forums appears pretty accurate. In the end, I decided to go 3 blade Catto.

Marty

I have received excellent customer service from Prince, and technically, I'm not even a customer!

I bought a built -4 with little info on the prop. The previous owner and his mechanic, either stopped re-torquing the prop, or at least logging that it was done. I emailed Prince and they were extremely informative on the maintenance requirements, and gave me the history, and info on the prop. It had been bought, installed, and at some point removed and sent back for an upgrade.

As far as performance goes I have little to compare it to, so can't say. It certainly gives the "RV grin". Plus it plain ole looks good.

Mark

P.S. As far as the link goes, without more info I look at it this way: Does Vans give a kit, or discount when an RV crashes? Who knows what kind of RPM, or anything this RC prop was subjected to when it came apart.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a good shot of your Prince prop on the airplane, especially if you have the carbon p-tip. I have one for a 1/2 VW and it's gorgeous.

How does it do in the rain?

I have no personal experience. Here is their reply when I asked my questions:

Is there any concern, limitation to flying in rain?
As with any Metal, Wood, or Composite propeller reduce rpm to reduce erosion. Our newer Urethane Leading Edge Protector has proven not to erode like the Epoxy version. We also sell Leading Edge Erosion Tape to protect the paint.

Mine is the epoxy version, I plan to add the erosion tape this spring.

Mark

I'd love to see a good shot of your Prince prop on the airplane, especially if you have the carbon p-tip. I have one for a 1/2 VW and it's gorgeous.

Pm an email address and I can shoot you a couple of photos. I'm out of town so can't get you better ones, but I have two that are decent to see the prop in them.

Mark

I have no personal experience. Here is their reply when I asked my questions:

Is there any concern, limitation to flying in rain?
As with any Metal, Wood, or Composite propeller reduce rpm to reduce erosion. Our newer Urethane Leading Edge Protector has proven not to erode like the Epoxy version. We also sell Leading Edge Erosion Tape to protect the paint.

Mine is the epoxy version, I plan to add the erosion tape this spring.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I have experience with Urethane leading edge on a different brand prop. Erosion was slower with Urethane but did occur and led to unbalanced prop.

I have experience with leading edge tape. 1 good flight through rain and it needed to be replaced. Also, I could not get tape to adhere to the distal tip of the prop.

For these reasons, I will only buy a prop which is metal or has a metal leading edge. Of course, I have to fly in rain occasionally and I am not good at throttling back.

Prince Q-Tip on my RV4.

I have a Prince Q-Tip on my RV-4 with 160 hp. It came with the plane when I bought it. Static rpm was around 2100 rpm and it would not max rpm in flight so I sent it back to Mr. Prince to have it cut down. He not only did an excellent job he wrapped in in carbon for me and put on a urethane leading edge at the time, I think he uses metal now. Mr. Prince did an excellent job and also found some cracks in the bolt holes which he repaired. The price for the repairs was minimal, and the other work he did was not only beautiful but has held up very well, more than six years.

I used to fly my RV 4 next to Smokey's old RV 4 (sold to a friend). Comparing planes I found that my 4, once the prop had been altered, would easily out climb Smokey's old 4 and was only 3-4 mph slower flat out. At this time that RV 4 had an MT prop on it. (By the way, this MT prop had to be sent back to the manufacturer for about $1000 worth of repairs. I'm a fan of MT too btw.)

My dealings with Mr. Prince was one of the best customer experiences I have ever had. He was very helpful and prompt, and is a fine and honest craftsman. I happily endorse him and his product.

Back