What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What stage was your partially-completed kit when you bought it?

Abandoned Build Stage:

• Empennage

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Wings

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Fuselage

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Firewall forward

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Electrics, panel, systems - the final 90%

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Loman

Well Known Member
My project is suffering from low momentum right now so I would be fascinated to know the breakdown of abandoned projects by stage of build. It would give an insight into the risk of failure at each stage.

So, this question is addressed to people who ACQUIRED an in-progress project from a source OTHER THAN the Vans factory.

What was the last UNFINISHED stage of your project when you bought it?

Some guidelines:
  1. Let's assume these stages are strictly sequential
  2. If, for example, you bought just an emp without any other subkit but it was finished, vote for the next incomplete stage - wings
  3. "Finished" is not an absolute. In this case only "near enough" is good enough
  4. Any other wrinkles; tell us in a post

Last edited:
One Wing just started

Empennage complete except for the fiberglass. Wings just started. The young guy who I bought the kit from did not completely plan for the future. He had child #1 then child #2 and then child #3. With that in mind he needs an RV Super 10+ for his whole family to fly together. He said he was getting rid of the kit because of family obligations and lack of time to work on the kit. He said he hopes to build again someday when life permits. I saved some money but did not save any time. I still went through each step one line at a time to see what he did and make sure it was correct. I am very happy to say that the guy I bought the kit from did a very quality job and was very organized. All unused parts were in bins in zip lock bags labeled.

My empennage was completely unstarted and I am the third builder! I'm unsure of the original "owner's" story, but my friend purchased it from him and then found an RV-6 build in the fuselage stage and purchased that. My friend then sold the unstarted RV-7 tail kit to me. Fortunately, he had a Bill of Sale so getting the builder number assigned to me was a non-event. I'm currently finishing the fuse and the Finish Kit and FWF items will arrive in the next few weeks. Build on!

emp

bought a practically untouched emp kit. I think he has since bought another emp kit and is now currently building.

Bought my 7 with finished and fitted emp and wings, wing tips, control rods. Solenoids on firewall. Piper blade pitot fitted. Standard cowl, and pants as well as SJ cowl, pants, and plenum cover. It started as a QB. A few vital rivets were forgotten in the skin riveting on the fuse and I used other methods - Cherry Max and in one place, structural screws as nothing but a 3" alligator squeeze would fit.

Part of a FWF kit, but no engine parts. The work had been stalled at fitting the tip-up frame together.

I think I was lucky, I have not found but maybe 2 rivets poorly set, no dings and only one smiley on the whole thing. The workmanship was outstanding. All fitted parts measured to perfect dimensions.

I got all the paperwork but the rivets, and pieces were separated but not organized. I had to study the BOM for various kits and felt like getting to the movie 5 min after it started and was always catching up, not knowing the difference between what I should know, and would learn. I just felt lost. Many many hours were spent on physical inventory, and comparing to BOM inventory. Lots of orders for small parts and extra rivets. Nothing worse than needing a $.00001 rivet with $8 shipping and a 5 day wait. I went through many cycles of restudying the part needs of next steps and making anticipatory orders.

Except for small pieces nothing was shorted, and I think I got an excellent deal.

I reviewed your reason for the post, low momentum. I have found that once I got the panel, the engine, the prop on hand, that the progress seemed to go like molasses in winter. I have been wading in the wiring, and even though it was very complete from Stein, the part mounting, wire routing (making it pretty), and the tiny details seemed to have slowed this greatly. I compare it to building a house. Where all the foundation, walls, exterior and roof is on, but nothing in the interior. Wiring, plumbing, walls, painting, finish trim, and flooring are very slow by comparison. I think it is the nature of the beast, but still, it feels daunting. This is where determination makes it move forward.
It was a divorce sale.

Last edited:
almost complete

I bought a 7A project that had three previous owners. QB wings and Fuse. I was astonished to find pictures in the paperwork where the plane had an engine mounted, cowl fitted, panel partially installed. By the time I got it, it had been stripped down and parted out so I basically started over. I sold the completed tail and completed another so i could get some building experience and documentation. I converted it to a TD. I have the panel finished and working on the sliding canopy, firewall forward, and all the fiberglass and paint to go....I believe the guy that almost had it finished had a A&P helping him and the A&P died. He was not confident enough to finish the project himself so he sold it and it got passed to a couple of guys that were finishing other RV's and the plane suffered considerable parts "borrowing". It was local and a bargain but was missing lots of parts and I have had to rebuild several components....Its just hard to believe it was so close to being finished and then wound up a dusty pile of parts!

Kits

My RV-7 kit was completely untouched and I am the third owner.
The RV-8 kit had the tail and one wing complete and the other started.

90/90

On its wheels, engine mounted, cowl mounted, baffling done. Basic instrument panel wired up, not installed.

One thing to consider is how much of the finished work you will end up changing to suit your own personal taste. I spent a lot of time reworking the instrument panel to be the way I wanted it, from this

IMG_0900.JPG

to this

SUNP0003%2520%25282%2529.jpg

On the way home:D

SUNP0015.jpg

Not anticipated

My 7A empennage was built by a young and dedicated dad who decided to sell now and build again later. I bought the completed emp, plus the QB wings and fuse in May 2012. His workmanship was excellent.

The kit was from 2005, so most part numbers on the white labels were either faded or gone. Our deal was I would not hold him responsible for missing parts, in exchange for buying his kit at a low (but still fair) price. But not fully anticipated at the time was how much effort would go into figuring out what little piece of material fit the part referred to in the ?fabricate from ?? instructions. So far, everything?s there, but difficulty identifying parts and pieces slowed my build considerably for the first year.

I was the third owner of my emp kit. The original owner built the HS and VS but not the elevators or rudders. Owner #2 did nothing to the emp. I bought the wings and fuse from another individual. The wing spars were "Phlogiston" factory built, the rest of the wing in Van's original wrapping. The original buyer built the brake pedals in the fuselage kit and nothing else. I never asked why.

Dave
RV-6
3 degrees outside with a
foot of snow on the ground.

unstarted

My empennage was completely unstarted and I am the third builder! I'm unsure of the original "owner's" story, but my friend purchased it from him and then found an RV-6 build in the fuselage stage and purchased that. My friend then sold the unstarted RV-7 tail kit to me. Fortunately, he had a Bill of Sale so getting the builder number assigned to me was a non-event. I'm currently finishing the fuse and the Finish Kit and FWF items will arrive in the next few weeks. Build on!

Same here. 2nd owner.

One piece primed

Bought my emp and most of the tools for about 20 cents on the dollar. :D Original purchaser primed one part on the vertical stab, got scared of what was ahead and sold me everything he had. He didn't have the time , patience, perseverance, stubbornness or whatever else it takes to complete a RV and just went out and bought a certified plane. Got a bill of sale, so just signed an agreement with Van's and they transferred the builders number to me. Been one real long party ever since. :) Oh' and I stripped the part he primed and re-primed in a different product so I could honestly say I did the whole plane myself.;)

I bought the empennage kit from Vans and completed that myself. When it came time for the wings I found a stand-alone wing kit for sale on VAF. I don't remember what happened to that tail section. The only parts that I didn't build were the ailerons.

Abandoned progress RV4

I bought the empennage and wing kit from the original owner. The kits were purchased in 1983. The tail was was started and fortunately the owner stopped working on it before he made much progress. Tech counselor reviewed/inspected and we ordered many new parts to start over. Wing kit was not started. Drilling holes in the wing spars was a long process, about 8 minutes each hole times 450 holes. 2014 empennage, wings and fuselage construction complete. Installing systems in the fuse now and ready to order finish kit with engine mount for my 0320 150hp engine.

Not sure what abandoned means...

I bought my emp kit from a guy who got cancer. The kit was untouched, but I don't think he abandoned it.

Got the Fuse and Finish from a different guy. I believe he bought the whole enchilada and then said "What the heck do I think I'm doing?" I just bought the fuse and finish, but I believe he had everything for sale.

CC

Mike, Please tell me that you did not claim that you built 51% of that airframe during your inspection :)

Mike, Please tell me that you did not claim that you built 51% of that airframe during your inspection :)
He doesn't have to... but you know that, I'm sure. :)

I don't know that I would call the state of my kit when I bought it from the previous owner "abandoned". He made a decision to direct his time and energy elsewhere, after assessing the time and effort required for his other priorities/projects.

Similarly, I'm selling it now -- not "abandoned", but as I'll never (barring a major shift in current rules) be allowed to fly it, there's not a lot of sense in spending a couple of years and tens of thousands of dollars finishing it. So I'm looking for a new project. I suppose I could wait and see what the regulatory future holds, but IRBF... and there are zero options for that locally, so I've got to buy or build.

And I can tell you my impression from my selling experience... fuselage and finish kit == EASY to sell. Wings == TOUGH to sell. Empennage will more than likely make a dandy coffee table and wall decoration.

There are good deals to be found

I bought an emmpenage that was about 80% done, but needed some significant rework. The original builder forgot to put on the elevator control weldments before he wrapped the skins on. So this required drilling out one whole side of each elevator skin, which didn't go well for him. The trim tab was a mess also. The rudder had been dropped, so one corner was bent up a little bit. I ended up just buying a complete new empennage kit from Van's, but spent lots of time rebuilding these pieces with my new tool kit. Overall, I made out great on the deal, since I also got lots and lots of power tools, compressor, drill press, bench grinder, band saw, C-Frame, clecos, extra hardware along with the empennage for $500! He just wanted to clean out his storage space and gave me everything airplane related.

Back