What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retrofit Baja Squadron lights in Duckworth mount ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Have Duckworth landing lights with Par36 lamps already installed. Wondering if the Squadron pro -R model which has a round housing of approx 5 inches could be fitted into the Par36 mount without too much modifying.

good question

I have Duckworks mounts for my -10 wings, no lights installed yet. Planning to go Baja LED when the time comes. I'll wait to hear what the experienced folks say.

I have a set of rectangular Duckworth's in my wings and was interested in converting them over to LED's.

I went to their website and it appears there are conversion kits.

A phone call with a left message a couple of weeks back has gone unreturned....anyone know if they are still taking orders/in business?

If not, is there an (easy) conversion out there for what I'm seeking?

Thanks!

Duckworks isn't his primary business. Be patient, he'll get to you. Maybe try to give him a call. That worked for me.

I just installed the Duckworks kit this weekend. Read carefully, be careful and it will go just fine!

Have Duckworth landing lights with Par36 lamps already installed. Wondering if the Squadron pro -R model which has a round housing of approx 5 inches could be fitted into the Par36 mount without too much modifying.

What's the difference between the XL Pro and the Squadron Pro. They have the same Lumens etc but $100 difference in price .

I had stock Duckworths with some HID bulbs during my initial build. Before I began flying I switched over to the Baja Squadron lights - the rectangular style. Those did take some modification of the duckworth mounting plate, but not too much. I am not sure about the circular style. But the mounting plate is easy to work with so I suspect it should be easy enough to trim as needed and place new nutplates.

I recently installed the squadron pro lights in my duckworth enclosures. I just removed the duckworth mounting plate and made a new hanger assembly for the squadrons. I used AL angle (3 different pieces) that used the existing holes/nutplates on the ribs. This allowed me to easily center the light in both axis.

Sorry, but I did not take a picture of the install. The squadrons might be too heavy to effectively be mounted in the duckwork plate.

Larry

What's the difference between the XL Pro and the Squadron Pro. They have the same Lumens etc but $100 difference in price .

XL Pro = 2.45 lbs. and is just under 4-1/2" wide

Squadron Pro = 12 oz. and is just over 3" wide

XL Pro vs Squadron Pro

So there's no reason to go with the more expensive and heavier XL Pro right? It looks like the only feature the XL Pro adds is 20% dimming, so I'm assuming the extra bulk is circuitry and heat sinks supporting that feature.

I have a set of rectangular Duckworth's in my wings and was interested in converting them over to LED's.

I went to their website and it appears there are conversion kits.

A phone call with a left message a couple of weeks back has gone unreturned....anyone know if they are still taking orders/in business?

If not, is there an (easy) conversion out there for what I'm seeking?

Thanks!

This is a drop in replacement.
https://www.teamaerodynamix.com/shop/product/kit-duckworks-rectangle-led-replacement-landing-light-kit/

P07.jpg

In all honesty, I fall into the camp of "one can never have too much light". With a pair of the Squadron Pro's out on the wingtips I definitely feel I'm in the "I've got enough light" category. So much so that I'm installing less capable lights in the lower engine cowl to use as taxi lights. I think some folks might not appreciate me sparkin' up the Bajas while taxiing near them! They really are very bright, and even with the narrow beam there's plenty of spillage out the sides to make them suitable as a taxi light, save for their potential to fry the retinas of other pilots!

Spoke to Baja, the XL Pro and Squadron Pro both have the same LED's. The only difference is the lenses.

Larger lenses project more light and thus give greater range.

Back