What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mountain High 4IP

Jeffcc17

Hello,

I have a question for anyone who has installed a mountain high oxy system. My first thought was to install the the 4 station outlets overhead in the aero sport carbon fiber overhead but was told there is not enough room above the overhead. My next thought was to install all 4 oxy outlets in the aero sport quad armrest. Has anyone been down this road before? Would you have preferred to have the pilot and copilot to have the oxy outlets on the front panel below the avionics? Any guidance or recommendations would be welcome. Thank you

Jeff

The overhead works

Hello,

I have a question for anyone who has installed a mountain high oxy system. My first thought was to install the the 4 station outlets overhead in the aero sport carbon fiber overhead but was told there is not enough room above the overhead. My next thought was to install all 4 oxy outlets in the aero sport quad armrest. Has anyone been down this road before? Would you have preferred to have the pilot and copilot to have the oxy outlets on the front panel below the avionics? Any guidance or recommendations would be welcome. Thank you

Jeff

I have all four MH O2 outlets in the Aerosport overhead console. There is another RV-10 over at Synergy Air South that has them in the armrest. I’ll try to get pictures this week when I’m over there. Send me your email address and I’ll send you high res pictures.

Krea dot Ellis at gmail dot com

Not flying yet, but I put mine in the Aerosport overhead. The fronts are a little tight. The rears fit fine as there is more depth there. I did flip the rear cover of the outlets over and put the nut plate on the inside to make sure I had clearance.

Attachments

• A4E9F517-3B7B-4DE6-AE47-643182E33260.jpg
    A4E9F517-3B7B-4DE6-AE47-643182E33260.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 398
  • D6230B85-ECC8-4F75-A140-7EF08A5F3E47.jpg
    D6230B85-ECC8-4F75-A140-7EF08A5F3E47.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 69E46A7D-814E-4C46-94B6-B385E3040691.jpg
    69E46A7D-814E-4C46-94B6-B385E3040691.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 401
Not flying yet, but I put mine in the Aerosport overhead. The fronts are a little tight. The rears fit fine as there is more depth there. I did flip the rear cover of the outlets over and put the nut plate on the inside to make sure I had clearance.

Do you have an idea of what the actual clearance is?

I put the fronts on the side panels and like them there. The rears are in the center console and are nice but was an extremely tight fit.

Mine are in the overhead console too.
I also flipped the rear cover to provide some extra clearance as well.
I put the nut plate on the cover though so you can’t see any mounting hardware.
It’s all tight but plenty doable. There’s maybe 1/16 or so clearance for me. Tough to measure. Used an inspection mirror to verify it wasn’t touching.

11A18404-483F-4AE2-BFC8-4A26F5CE8B9E.jpg

6C41368C-9AC9-49A9-88BD-80CA309F228E.jpg

2EEECC6F-FD5B-41B8-88FF-A542EA966740.jpg

Thanks for the great info

Thank you for your posts. I am going back to installing the 4IP in the overhead. Does anyone have pictures of the valve and tank install or advice. What orientation did you put the tank? Thank you again.

Jeff

I've seen the tanks mounted high, low, laterally, longitudinally, etc...

I mounted my tank low to minimize the "missile hazard" in line with the F-1006 bulkhead. It worked out great mounting it where I did on the J stringers. Here's a link to my EAA builder log for my photos.

Oxygen Tank Log Entry

Hey Adam,

I am actually doing this install now, I talked to mountain high over the phone, the only thing they mentioned is that we need to seal the distribution units plate and 3 connectors with pro seal if it's installed in the overhead as other air is flowing around the unit and might disturb the functionality of the unit(the unit is not fully sealed). I thought I would give you a heads up. You can call mountain high, they are easy to talk to.

Nir

Thank you for your posts. I am going back to installing the 4IP in the overhead. Does anyone have pictures of the valve and tank install or advice. What orientation did you put the tank? Thank you again.

Jeff
I mounted the Distribution Panels in the AeroSport Carbon Fiber overhead console. Like previously mentioned, I flipped the mounting hardware, drilled the screw hole and mounted the nutplate on top of the gullwing to save space. The screws clear the cabin top by 1/16”. Mountain High advised me to seal the hardware with silicone RTV due to the forced air passing by in the console.

I mounted the oxygen bottle behind the bulkhead, hanging under the fiberglass shelf I’m using for the AirFlow Systems air conditioner. I plan to install the refill port on the bulkhead. (I have an access panel.)

I'm close to beginning the installation of the O2 system in my overhead, but wanted to ask those of you who have done this whether you'd do it again.

Are there any inconveniences/interferences associated with the O2 tubes hanging from the ceiling? Do you find you need to remove them to get good access to the back seats at all without snagging them on the way in?

Is the oxygen tubing hanging from the ceiling any more or less annoying than if it were coming from a lower-mounted port?

Did you install any clips or other holders to route the tubes to the seats from the distribution stations?

Did you install hangers for the tubes/cannulae to hang from?

I'm close to beginning the installation of the O2 system in my overhead, but wanted to ask those of you who have done this whether you'd do it again.

Are there any inconveniences/interferences associated with the O2 tubes hanging from the ceiling? Do you find you need to remove them to get good access to the back seats at all without snagging them on the way in?

Is the oxygen tubing hanging from the ceiling any more or less annoying than if it were coming from a lower-mounted port?

Did you install any clips or other holders to route the tubes to the seats from the distribution stations?

Did you install hangers for the tubes/cannulae to hang from?

In a proper O2 setup, you should be using push to connect style fittings, so that the tubes are only installed when they are being used. Therefore none of the issues mentioned should be a problem. I have mine in the center console/arm rest and like them there.

I have a home grown system and put an E bottle behind the rear seats. I made a mount that uses large hose clamps for easy installation and removal. You should research the issues to aft CG when installing the bottle behind the bulkhead if you will be looking to maximize carrying capacity.

Larry

In a proper O2 setup, you should be using push to connect style fittings, so that the tubes are only installed when they are being used. Therefore none of the issues mentioned should be a problem.

What about the possible annoyance of the tubes hanging down when in use? I'm not suggesting they just be left hanging there 100% of the time; more concerned about whether they interfere or distract during flight.

I have a home grown system and put an E bottle behind the rear seats. I made a mount that uses large hose clamps for easy installation and removal. You should research the issues to aft CG when installing the bottle behind the bulkhead if you will be looking to maximize carrying capacity.

Larry

I'm getting the lightest weight cylinder I can for the capacity (carbon filament wrapped, 48 ft3, empty weight 6.2 lb without the regulator) I want and will be installing it behind the bulkhead or behind the seats. I'm planning on EarthX batteries to more than trade off the weight behind the bulkhead, and an MT prop to reduce the weight on the nose for balance.

I'll be getting a timed-out/dummy bottle soon so I can measure the installed weight so I can do some real calcs on this.

Last edited:
Back