What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you get your RV-4 seats?

AX-O

Well Known Member
I have seat/cushions for my RV4 now but they are not comfortable at all. Not even sitting in the garage while working on the plane. So just wondering what everyone else did regarding the RV4 cushions. I saw this http://www.oregonaero.com/p33_2001.htm but man that seem very expensive. Not to mention that they need to be covered.

Make Your Own Seats!

Axel,

When it came time to get seats for my -4, I remembered all the different types of seats I had in my four previous RV-4s and how comfort was usually not what I remembered! And three of them were 'store bought'. So this time I went and got some different kinds of extra light weight foam. Different densities and firmness. Actually found some free scraps a local tool company was throwing away! They were fire resistant and used to store tools in. I then started experimenting with different shapes and sizes, ie, more firm and form fitting on the bottom and then softer, thinner pieces on top. Kind of like the idea behind a firm bed mattress with a pillow top. I even fashioned a lumbar support portion for my back rest. When done i SAT ON THEM for a time and evaluated the feel and comfort, adjusted as necessary. Long story short, got the fit and comfort both for me and the back seat for my wife..they fit US! When done, went own to a local auto upholstery shop and picked out some two tone matching gray leathers and had them cover both front and rear home made seats. Total cost all finished: $300. Would have been $150 less if not using leather.

Just a thought but much cheaper and worked for me!

Tailwinds,

Oregon Aero is the most expensive foam for the RV-4.

Oregon Aero is the best foam for the RV-4.

Everything else is a compromise. But, that's what building is all about. If you bought the most expensive engine, paint, panel, interior, etc, you would spend so much you would be hard pressed to get it all back out when it's time to sell.

O A seats

My recently purchased 4 came with Oregon Aero seats with lambs wool covers... didn't really think it was a big deal but I must say they are comfortable! Wife and I did some 1 1/2 to 2 hour cross-countries last summer and she kept falling asleep on me! Even with her knees under her chin! Didn't realize they were so pricey... better take better care of them.

The thickness of the foam could be an issue for tall people.

My 4 Seats

Axel, I've always had Temperfoam (Conforfoam) in all of my planes. So my 4 is no exception. Becky @ GBI did these. I'm no lightweight (225 lbs) and have a wide butt, but I'm very pleased with what you see (pics attached). BTW, they're not $300....

interiorfrontseatov6.jpg
[/IMG]

interiorrearseatap7.jpg
[/IMG]

Good Luck!

RV-4 Seats

I bought the cushins from Oregon Aero and had them covered by Abby at Flightline Interiors.

Look great!

Wally Hunt
Rockford, IL
RV-4 Finishing Kit

RV4 Seats

I have Oregon Aero seat cores in my RV4. They are very comfortable to say the least. I have never suffered any pains (other than the wallet) due to being uncomfortable on these seats and the longest I have flown in one day was a little over 5 hours. My expendatures were as follows. The foam cores were $600.00 from Oregon Aero. I bought the leather hide from JART for $125.00 and then had a local shop sew the covers up for another $350.00. It all adds up when you stop to think about it. And these prices are at least 4 years old.
If you are building light, forget the temperfoam cores. The foam weighs a ton, especially the rear seat. The foam is designed to fit directly onto the floor of the airplane without any other support so all of the seat height comes from the thickness of the foam. The rear seat is at least 6 inches thick and the seat back not much less.
Would I by them again? You bet. I value the comfort over a few extra pounds of weight.

Jerry Isler
RV4 N455J

Axel, I've always had Temperfoam (Conforfoam) in all of my planes. So my 4 is no exception. Becky @ GBI did these. BTW, they're not $300....Good Luck!

Bill that is exactly what I am looking for. Even the same color. Could you PM me the info for Becky @ GBI.

I bought the cushins from Oregon Aero and had them covered by Abby at Flightline Interiors.

I have Oregon Aero seat cores in my RV4. They are very comfortable to say the least. If you are building light, forget the temperfoam cores.

My recently purchased 4 came with Oregon Aero seats with lambs wool covers... The thickness of the foam could be an issue for tall people.

Do you guys have pics? I am worried that my plane will not have much room for thick cushions. My canopy is very close to my head and the aft seat is too. I lowered the canopy and extended it forward about 4 to 5 inches. The highest part of the canopy is about 1.5 inches above the top of the roll bar.

232323232%7Ffp43352%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3234323787743nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp43364%3Enu%3D323%3A%3E4%3B2%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3234323787643nu0mrj

RV-4 seats

Axel,

Becky phone number is 704-707-4845. They live down the street from me and do good work. Becky is George Orndoff wife, they are the people that make the construction videos. There web-site is http://www.fly-gbi.com/

Tom

Axel, I think Tom had it above: http://www.fly-gbi.com/

I attached this photo. I'm leaning a bit forward, but still have a bit of room. I can easily lean forward and put on and take off my hat and headset....I do it all the time.

exteriorg11208ts1.jpg

Call me if you want to discuss....817-705-6300.

I'm in the process of making my seats now in my rocket. Bought the RV8 temperfoam kit from seatfoam.com. I built aluminum risers for the seat bottoms, and am not using the green firm temperfoam. I needed more leg room so I moved the front seat bottom back an inch. Since I tack welded the rollbar together it was an easy change to accomodate the change in the seat since I had to move the cross bar up. Since the temperfoam comes in 1" thicknesses, in order to get maximum legroom I had to shave a half inch from the front seatback pink/blue foam. I left the foam outside in the cold for a few minutes and shaved it down with an electric wood planer... worked beautifully! Temperfoam is easily sanded and shaped with an electric carving knife and sandpaper.

So I would recommend getting the temperfoam kit for the RV4 minus the green foam.

With temperfoam, a seat riser in the front so the seat bottom transitions over the spar, you won't need much cushion, which will get you maximum head room and leg room.

I have temperfoam seats in my -6, and can sit for long trips without fatigue. I think my custom seats will be even more comfortable.

I have seat/cushions for my RV4 now but they are not comfortable at all. Not even sitting in the garage while working on the plane. So just wondering what everyone else did regarding the RV4 cushions. I saw this http://www.oregonaero.com/p33_2001.htm but man that seem very expensive. Not to mention that they need to be covered.

As a rank amateur, with no experience in making seats, I bought some foam and cut out the shapes I wanted . I used cardboard at first to make rough templates. If required, you can either buy a big block of foam and shape it, or as I did, glue smaller pieces in place (easier). Then I took them to a car seat repairer in the next town (Yellow pages or Net). Like all one-man-band car seat repairing guys he had a large range of covering meterial in stock, so I picked a two tone gray (to hide the muck if someone steps on the seat). Then he took my glued up, rough looking, shaped foam and made up the seats for me - easy. It is amaising what these guys can do, (they are doing it all day). The cost for two squabs and two seat backs (in England) was only the equivalent to $200, This is surprising as nothing is cheap in England, even before you mention it is for aviation. If you tell them you have a plane the price goes into overdrive. Car upholsterers have not yet found out about charging folk in aviation silly money. You are better off using the car guys for this reason. They live in the real world, not the multiply by 2 then add your grandparents age to the normal price, like everone elso who finds out that what you want is for aviation perposes.

Go on! give it a try, it will look every bit as good as the store bought avaiation variety. Trust me!

Happy Landings.

G-MUMY

Last edited:
My 4 has been flying since July and I'm using borrowed seats from a friend who's 4 is down due to a landing incident. I will need to eventually give him his seats back which are leather and very nice, but lacking a little in the comfort area. Due to the current financial times and the fact that my airline has reduced our flying a bit, I just can't justify the money for Oregon Aero seats. (Read: Wife would kill me). I've contacted GBI and they are very nice people but it's still over $600. I'm going to try making my own from scratch and contact a seamstress to do the stitching. I'll post my progress on here for you guys that are like me and have more time than money now-a-days. I have to admit that making seats is about the most daunting project for me so far!! Give me a week or two and I'll get started and post pics etc. I still need to paint my airplane too...ugh. Wish me luck!

Chris

I just started on the emp kit so I am a long ways off from looking at seats, but in one of my visits to the local airport (Nampa, Id) I found a shop that does some really nice work. I saw a 172 that they did in grey leather with temperfoam and perforated leather inserts. It looked like an expensive sports car interior. One of the guys there has alot of experimental experience. Seem like nice, knowledgeable guys. If you are looking for options might be worth looking at. Their web site is nampaaircraftinteriors.com

Back