What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does your plane have a twin?

Does your aircraft have a twin?

• Yes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Nope, the only one! (as far as I can tell)

Votes: 16 55.2%

• Total voters

Scott Will

Well Known Member
I was perusing Doug's excellent pictures on Picasaweb - the recent pics of his Pecan fly-in. When lo and behold I stumble upon an aircraft that looks almost identical to mine. I thought to myself "well I haven't flown my RV-7A to Texas, ever!" Take a look. Except for the thing on the tail, right down to where the colors end on the cowl it's almost identical. I know when I was coming up with paint ideas, I thought my little brain came up with something original. I really didn't get any inspiration anywhere.

So the question of the day, does your aircraft have a twin?

Mine:
SEW_20071001-135416.jpg

The Twin:
IMG_2934.jpg

photo courtesy of Doug Reeves

Red, White and Blue on the Gulf Coast

n681gp0001ch4.jpg

After about seven paint schemes that made it to "the short list", the final design looked very similar to Sam Buchanan's most excellent RV6.
399sb6le1.jpg

We liked a darker color on the bottom and lighter on top. I wanted checkers on the tail but gave it up just before painting began.

I was perusing Doug's excellent pictures on Picasaweb - the recent pics of his Pecan fly-in. When lo and behold I stumble upon an aircraft that looks almost identical to mine. I thought to myself "well I haven't flown my RV-7A to Texas, ever!" Take a look. Except for the thing on the tail, right down to where the colors end on the cowl it's almost identical. I know when I was coming up with paint ideas, I thought my little brain came up with something original. I really didn't get any inspiration anywhere.

So the question of the day, does your aircraft have a twin?

Mine:
SEW_20071001-135416.jpg

The Twin:
IMG_2934.jpg

photo courtesy of Doug Reeves

He also has no stripes on his wheelpants.

I have a friend up North who built an RV4 19 years ago. He was at Osh with it one year and some guy came up to him and balled him out saying that he "Copied" his paint scheme.

The friend had never seen the subject plane.... Just a weird coincidence.

Funny you should ask this question today. Just last night I found an RV4 with an exact copy of my paint job for sale on Barnstormers. The resemblance is uncanny.

My airplane:

1232338sf9.jpg

The clone:

clonepaintue1.jpg

At least he knows a great paint job when he see's one!

Jerry Isler
RV4 N455J
131 hours and no gas money!

Wow, Scott, if the military decided to copy ME like that, I'd be remarkably flattered! :D

It's obvious that Scott got the gist of this thread! Nice comparison, what with all that "stuff" showing underneath. :eek:

Funny you should ask this question today. Just last night I found an RV4 with an exact copy of my paint job for sale on Barnstormers. The resemblance is uncanny. At least he knows a great paint job when he see's one!

Jerry Isler
RV4 N455J
131 hours and no gas money!

Are you sure he isn't trying to sell your airplane? ;)

Back