What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX battery holder

mjanduda

Well Known Member
Hi builders,

I am about to build the tail cone and there are battery angles. Instead of the stock lead battery I want to use a lithium battery for my 14. According to this forum the EarthX looks like a nice candidate for this.
Now I am wondering if I should already modify the battery angles in the tailcone so the lithium batteries will fit.
At this moment I think the lithium battery is smaller than the lead battery so I don't have to mind at the moment but I wanted to check with you folks!? Any experience here?

Thanks!

Malte

Those are called battery angles but they are used in the elevator bellcrank assembly much, much later in your build. I think they are shared with the RV-10 and are used as battery angles in the 10. The real battery box is part of the finish kit or FWF (can't remember), that is what you would want to modify or replace for a lithium battery

Chris is correct. They are a carryover fron the -10 and will be used later but not for the battery. The -14 battery box is part of the fuselage kit - just received mine last week. It mounts on the firewall in the -14.

I am also considering the Earth-X and if I understand correctly it is a bit thicker than the Odyssey kit battery and may not fit in the supplied box. I haven?t got to the point of firm decisions there.

Malte, I believe, EarthX makes a lithium battery that fits in the same space as the Oyssey. Check it out.

Bob Bisbee
RV14A kit 140308

I installed the ETX900 and it is much lighter the Odyssey. I have 100 hours since new, no issues to report. The ETX900 is in the Van's QB battery box that was installed in the Philippines. Make sure your alternator is a Plane Power that is internally regulated. The Earth-X has dual redundant protection and the Plane Power is also protected. Incredible cranking power. Buy the Lithium battery chargers recommended on the Earth-X or Spruce website.

https://imgur.com/a/HIi4S8N

Last edited:
Earth X

I purchased the ETX900-VNT as I might need to install one on the cabin side of the firewall. They sell a dummy MT battery box for mock-up as needed. The bracket is not an issue removing the Vans pre-installed bracket and replacing.

I have a EarthX in my 14 (not flying yet) it fits nicely in the battery box on the firewall.

Make sure your alternator is a Plane Power that is internally regulated. The Earth-X has dual redundant protection and the Plane Power is also protected.

I understand that over-voltage protection is needed beyond the milliseconds that the EarthX BMS provides but please explain your statement. I'm planning a B&C alternator with external protection.

I understand that over-voltage protection is needed beyond the milliseconds that the EarthX BMS provides but please explain your statement. I'm planning a B&C alternator with external protection.

You are fine with your B&C.

Vic

B&C makes quality regulators so you will want to review the volts, amps and placement requirements match the Earth-X. When I discussed the batteries with Earth-X they have seen a couple issues with unprotected automotive charging systems in airplanes. They did confirm no issues with the Plane Power equipment I installed at the voltage and amp ratings. Give them a call if you have questions.

When I discussed the batteries with Earth-X they have seen a couple issues with unprotected automotive charging systems in airplanes.

I was wondering if that was what you were referring to. Protection beyond the capability of the EarthX BMS is absolutely required. As I understand it, it is necessary to have instant, automatic isolation of the EarthX from alternator current. Just didn't see how that equated to protection internal to the alternator. I think we're on the same page.

Back