What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric CS props for RV-4 (0-360)

N605RV

anyone have any experience with the Air Master electric constant speed prop for an RV4 with a 360? Or any other type of electric CS? I saw another homebuilt with an Air Master electric 3 blade electric prop and he was very happy with it (my 360 does not have a drilled crank)
Mike in Boulder

Electric adjustable prop

I have an electric adjustable prop on my Subaru conversion. I adjust the pitch manually. The pitch change takes about 8 seconds to go from full fine to full course. The slow response is a common complaint from people that use an electric prop in a constant speed mode. I’m very happy with the prop. I can get the RPM I want for take-off and still bring the RPM down for a better cruise. I would say that it’s a very good solution for performance in general, but probably not optimized for aerobatics.

—Andy

Prop

I have an electric adjustable prop on my Subaru conversion. I adjust the pitch manually. The pitch change takes about 8 seconds to go from full fine to full course. The slow response is a common complaint from people that use an electric prop in a constant speed mode. I’m very happy with the prop. I can get the RPM I want for take-off and still bring the RPM down for a better cruise. I would say that it’s a very good solution for performance in general, but probably not optimized for aerobatics.

—Andy

Andy is yours an IVO prop?
Ed

anyone have any experience with the Air Master electric constant speed prop for an RV4 with a 360? Or any other type of electric CS? I saw another homebuilt with an Air Master electric 3 blade electric prop and he was very happy with it (my 360 does not have a drilled crank)
Mike in Boulder

Mike, Van's sells an electric MT prop, 2 or 3 blade, but pricey at 16K.

Last edited:
Andy is yours an IVO prop?
Ed

Mine is from a now gone Italian company called Quinti. It’s a 3 blade prop using Warp Drive blades. Looks like the props on a Rotax. It works very well on my RV-9. I’ve seen the Airmaster prop at Oshkosh. I would definitely consider using it on my airplane if I needed another prop.

-Andy

thanks everyone for the quick response to my questions about electric CS props. The MT prop from Vans at 16K is pricey as compared to the Air Master's 11K though I haven't done a side by side comparison yet. anyone have one of the MT props? Could it be it's just quicker to go from full to fine?

MT or GT

Airmaster doesn’t yet offer the O-360 propeller, testing reportedly shut down due to COVID. No eta or warm fuzzies when I talked to them recently. MT is certified in Grumman Tigers so it’s a known, reliable option. GT Propeller out of Italy has an electric prop for the O-360 but their site loses something in translation. I don’t know of anyone who has used the prop on a 360.

Last edited:
Contact Kaolin Aviation

Mike in Boulder

Contact Ray Lawrence A&P IA at Kaolin Aviation SANDERSVILLE GA KOKZ. He is a distributor for Airmaster, has them on RVs, can answer your questions

Thanks Butch! I'll contact him about the Air Master. I'd like to use the MT but 16K compared to 11K is a bit tough to swallow...unless the MT is 30% faster changing pitch...we'll see. I'll post my findings on the Forum.
Cheers
Thank-God-it's-almost-spring-Mike

Back