What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 360 CAM w/BT & sensors

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I use the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 camera (with Bluetooth audio & sensors) and am aware that Garmin also makes a 360 Camera but it has no external audio capability. I understand that it uses its own microphones to capture surround audio and the camera gets good reviews. What I don’t understand is two things:

- Why hasn’t Garmin equipped it with Bluetooth audio to record from the several BT capable Garmin audio panels? I think we can agree that capturing real-time cockpit audio is the easiest way to produce videos.

- It also needs the sensor capability like the Virb Ultra 30 to be able to start & stop recording as is now done with Garmin Aera 660 GPS menu.

Anyone know future developments at the Garmin skunkworks? Seems it wouldn’t be too hard to incorporate these 2 upgrades in future models. With the popularity of 360 degree cameras I think there is a definite market for sales of Garmin 360 cameras with the above features to the aviation community.

Garmin what say you?

Last edited:
Update to my previous post. Recently discovered that the newer VIRB 360 cameras incorporate a Bluetooth capability to record real time audio from my GMA 245 intercom. The first versions did not list this an included feature. Maybe it was there all along but it wasn’t discussed in the first manual I downloaded. I ran across a manual eventually that did discuss the VIRB 360 having BT so I started searching for one. But at $799 I wasn’t hopeful of finding one on sale. Actually found one on EBay for $250 and it works very well via BT to the intercom. Unfortunately it has been discontinued for reasons unknown but still can be found if you look hard enough. It’s a great camera that seems perfect for aviation uses as you don’t have to have 2-3 cameras to get all the cool perspectives. I found mine from a shop as the in store demo model and had all the necessary items. If you do find one make sure it has the cradles for mounting and batteries otherwise using it may pose some issues. Also works well with the same proprietary sensors in Garmin gear like the Aera 660/760 and G3 systems to start/stop recording so all you have to remember before strapping in is to turn the camera power on.

Back