What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Apollo SL-60 GPS/ Com

jlisler

Well Known Member
I have an Apollo SL-60 installed in a Cessna C140A. The com radio section has failed. It even gives you a warning message that says it is failed and to get service now! That is a big problem because Garmin will not support this radio any more. Does anyone know of a shop that can fix this series of radio?

If I have to replace the radio I plan to take a King KY-97A (TSO) out of my RV and install it in the C140 and to put a new Garmin 225 series in the RV. Is there any plan for the US to go to the 8.33 kHz spacing that Europe requires or is the normal 25 kHz spacing adequate for the future in the US?

You might give Garmin a call. They don?t have screens left but still may be able to fix the comm portion. Not sure of the validity, but I?ve read in the past that it?s the same comm module as the SL-30.

Try opening it up and seeing if there is a small replaceable battery visible. Some of the Apollo units had a small hearing aid type internal battery to keep such things as channel memory and GPS data alive when there is no power applied.

It's way out of warranty so breaking the seal on the top cover won't do any harm...:)

Try opening it up and seeing if there is a small replaceable battery visible. Some of the Apollo units had a small hearing aid type internal battery to keep such things as channel memory and GPS data alive when there is no power applied.

It's way out of warranty so breaking the seal on the top cover won't do any harm...:)

I got a warning on my GX-60 about the battery. This is a 3vdc battery a little shorter than a AA that you can find at your local Battery Plus or similiar store.

Replacing it I wired a couple of AA batteries in series and used jumpers to the battery holder in the radio. I was concerned that pulling the battery might dump the firmware - don?t know if this is true but jumping the terminals while replaceing the battery was simple.

New battery and it was good for another 5-7 years. Photo available if anyone wants - just PM me your email address.

Carl

The GX 60 has two power inputs one for the GPS and one for the COM. Inside the unit their is a 7 amp fuse and should be fused with a 5 amp from the supply buss. If for any reason the input to the COM is lost the radio will display the service required message. The first thing you might want to try is to make sure that both sides are powering up. Pin 1 on both the 15 and 37 pin connectors are 12 volt positive.

I got a warning on my GX-60 about the battery. This is a 3vdc battery a little shorter than a AA that you can find at your local Battery Plus or similiar store.

Replacing it I wired a couple of AA batteries in series and used jumpers to the battery holder in the radio. I was concerned that pulling the battery might dump the firmware - don?t know if this is true but jumping the terminals while replaceing the battery was simple.

New battery and it was good for another 5-7 years. Photo available if anyone wants - just PM me your email address.

Carl

Your jumper battery is not necessary on the GX series of GPS. IIRC, the battery stores the current GPS position so that it will starts up and finds satellites faster. All three (3) radios that I know the battery has been replaced did no require the jumper battery you talk about.

Back