What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New replacement cylinders coming

AC Aero

Update, a new monolithic cylinder is now in testing as a directly replacement for the 360/540 type engines. As we come closer to completing our tests, we will release more details. In the interim, 4lbs lighter than a standard pv cylinder and designed to run on mogas without a performance degrade, of course you can still run Avgas. Information at www.ace-performance.com

Andrew

links not working

Andrew - none of the links for the PDF for more info work on your site. I would be interested in prices too. Thanks

rockwoodrv9

As information becomes available, we will post it. The site is new and is still work in progress. The intention is to publish in detail all information about each of the products. Thank you for your patience

Andrew

Ace performance cylinders

Andrew, Just wanted to offer encouragement to you guys as you develop your new AX50 piston and cylinder combination. At 6 pounds lighter per cylinder (your numbers) and adding maybe 5 to 8 HP per cylinder ( my wild guess) as well as being stronger and shedding heat 20% better (I think that's what I read?).... Well, there are a TON of motor heads around the world like me that are super excited about your new piston, cylinder, connecting rod setup!!!!
I hope others will get excited about the numerous benefits that these new cylinders may offer. I'm thinking; better fuel economy, lower CHTs for a given power setting, the ability to run MOGAS (if you want) because of the improvements in the head design which should significantly reduce the possibility of pre-detonation, significantly stronger, etc. etc.
Of course, price is going to be a consideration. Before I learned about your cylinders, I was planning to buy new cylinders from Lycoming and then have Lycon work their CNC magic on them, as well as their tricks to lighten them up by whittling away some of the unnecessary metal. All of this adds up in price quickly ..... However, I'd still be left with a VERY old design that will fall short of your AX50 design by any measure....we hope. Thus I will wait.
I will be watching for any information that you guys share on your website. See you at Oskosh and possibly Sun-N-Fun?
I'll be pulling for your success.... And hopefully a reasonable price point! Sincerely, Tony

Mike,
I wrote them at Ace over the weekend and Kevin responded. Not clear on the overlap between the two companies - if any!
FR

Confusion

I guess I should clear this up. :confused:

Andy and I are partners in ACE Performance and have been developing many new parts as listed on ACE website. ECi is presently offering our 409 upgrade kit and we all hope that as we develop other new items we will be able to offer as part of complete engines supported by the new Titan division. ACE is a engineering and development company, not a complete engine shop that is suited for building and supporting complete engines.

Hope that helps, I welcome any additional questions.

Thanks Kevin!!

I appreciate your and ECI's efforts and wish you all the very best. It looks like your cylinder would have much improved cooling. Please keep pressing ahead. :D

Cheers,

Tony,
Yes the cylinders are significantly lighter than a standard pv cylinder and we do have much better cooling. Yes we are lighter by a wide margin, we are not talking a few ounces, we are talking several pounds per pot. If you were to add the pistons and rods into the equation then I believe it is something like 6lbs per pot lighter. We are very close indeed to releasing all the information, including prices to the market. As always thank you all for your patience.

Thank you all, for your encouragement and continued support of the new AX50 cylinders.

Kind regards

Andrew

Put me near the top of the list of people who are dying to plop down my hard earned bucks to give them a try!! I'm VERY eagerly awaiting more info on this.

Recent Reports?

Any News from Fun N Sun ? I have a question or two, Are these cylinder bores straight or tapered ? With both the piston and cylinder alloy,What coating is used? Any word on cost?
RHill

Last edited:
Close to releasing pricing....

With "close" being kinda relative, I wonder if it could mean 2014? I may be interested in replacing some angle valve cylinders & Pistons if close is, well, closer than what close has been.

By the way, thanks for the innovation and drive to improve. The marketplace needs more competition and innovation. :)

Cj

Tony,
........We are very close indeed to releasing all the information, including prices to the market. As always thank you all for your patience.

Thank you all, for your encouragement and continued support of the new AX50 cylinders.

Kind regards

Andrew

These are the cylinders sold through ECI that Kevin has been flying with on the RV8 at Reno. Yes very close.

R series is close!

With "close" being kinda relative, I wonder if it could mean 2014? I may be interested in replacing some angle valve cylinders & Pistons if close is, well, closer than what close has been.

By the way, thanks for the innovation and drive to improve. The marketplace needs more competition and innovation. :)

Cj

We have sold out production of AX50 cylinders through Jan 2015. If you are interested please contact me.

Back