What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standby alternator clearance

hobby_rv6

I recently received my Plane Power standby alternator that mounts on the vacuum pump pad and had my friendly A&P install it since I've been busy at work and have not had the time to get out to the airport for the last several weeks.
He called to tell me that it was on, but that it was really, really close to the oil filter. The oil filter is a standard setup where the filter projects straight rearward into the firewall recess box. I asked how close, and he said that he picked a thin 6" metal ruler laying close by and that it would just slide between them. He estimated .050" clearance. He also mentioned that he mounted the alternator B terminal up.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is this alternator symmetrical, or would installing it in another orientation increase the clearance?
Since they are both rigidly mounted to the rear of the engine I hope that they don't vibrate at different harmonics and close the clearance. I plan to ground run the setup at different rpm's and to check that there is no rubbing between the two.

Hobby Stevens
RV-6
N41HS
Abilene, Texas

You're right - the clearance is really tight - but neither of those things should move relative to each other. I haven't personally run one with the "straight" oil filter, but it spins pretty close to my angled filter as well.

Paul

clearance

I just installed my FS1-14B on my o-360. I have just over .120 clearance with 'B' up. Oil filter is a Champion. Thanks Ron

Back