What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing D-SUB Pins

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I want to move the EFIS data line from the tunnel while I've got the panel top off installing some round gauges, and have isolated the wires, but I can't get the pins out of the D-SUB with the tool; included in the kit. There are two ends, one brass & one silver: either will fit into an empty hole from the back side of the connector, but neither will fit from the front. And that's into an empty hole, not one with a pin. Is there something I don't know or do I just use brute force (doesn't seem like a good idea on electronics).

Thanks

Wayne

AVOID BRUTE FORCE!

The tool goes in from the back. It is split so it will go around the wire. Push the tool in until it "clicks". That's snapping the keeper pin in so it will slide out. Pull it out with the tool while pressing lightly on the pin from the other side.
If difficult, do NOT try to pull it out by the wire. That's asking for it!
If the keeper is disengaged, it will come out easily.

Last edited:
Typically the included D-Sub tools will be either Green & White or Red & White. The Green or Red side is for insersion and the white side is for removal. Get the tool to go all the way around the wire then slide it down over the wire into the back of the connector as Mel says until you hear or feel a click. May take a bit of wiggling, but once done correctly you'll find it quite easy the the wire should come out with a very slight tug/nudge.

Sorry I don't have any pictures handy!

Hope that helps,
Stein.

Back