What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Post!

mmeredith

I have been lurking around the VAF forums for a while now intrigued by these wonderful RV aircraft. I have to tell you, I was very hesitant to even think about building an experimental aircraft due to the fact that many people that I talked to kind of looked down on kit aircraft. I was almost ready to give up the thought when lo and behold I found out there was a gentleman at my airport that had built his own experimental aircraft, an RV-7A. I had to check this out and what a beauty it turned out to be. The builder was Don 'Squeak' Schnarr and later he gave me a ride in his creation during a breakfast run. The 'RV Grin' was an understatement. I couldn't believe the performance of this machine. It seemed as if the aircraft would maneuver just from thinking about where I wanted it to go. It was like I was wearing the plane! That was a great flight offered by a gracious RV Ambassador. Thanks again Squeak!

Now I was sold that Van's RV line was definitely something that I wanted to pursue. The question now was did I have the skill set to take on a project like this. I never for once in my life thought about bucking rivets to build a plane... at my home... that would fly! I started to read a lot of blogs about those that have undertaken this journey before me. I had tons of questions like what tool kit to buy, what model to build, am I really thinking about doing this? I read about 'Builders Assistance' classes and I looked into those.

This past weekend I attended the 'Basic RV Construction Skills' class put on by Troy Grover of Grov-Air. What a wonderful experience that was. If anyone is apprehensive about building an RV, please go attend Troy's class. I learned so much about the tools of the trade and even now feel confident that I could take on building a Van's RV. I got to try out many different brands of tools and got a feel for what I believe would be the best for me to purchase. I also got to see various RVs in different stages of construction that was helpful in visualizing the build. Troy rents out space at his facility and offers builder's assistance to those individuals. All-in-all it was a great experience. Highly recommended.

Sorry for the long post, but right now I'm just excited about starting this journey. The next step is to determine which would be the best model for me. I'm almost sold on the 9, 9A or maybe a 10, just need to find someone close that could offer me a ride! Thanks for reading! (Picture Left to Right: Me, My Dad, Troy Grover)

Matt Meredith

grov-air.jpg

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Matt, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

It is great that you are contemplating building an RV.

What is going to be your "Mission" with it???

Knowing what you plan to use the plane for is a big part of choosing the model.

Are you single, married, kids, etc all come into play, does the family fly??

Lots of info about various models and their niche here, get familiar with the search function, and dont be afraid to ask questions.

And, yes, you can build one

Nice to have you here Matt! These are wonderful machines you won't regret it.
Welcome to the adventure.

Welcome...

You're welcome to fly my -10, left seat, anytime you're down this way (2J3) and see for yourself that it outruns Bonanza's, 210's and Comanche's!...and can haul 4 240 pounders as well.

Read may tag line in red!

Again,...welcome,

Matt, you need to get to OSH and look at the RV gathering of aircraft. It never ceases to amaze me. The people, the planes, the colors, the innovation, every year I am renewed & inspired! :D

A better group of aviators and friends you will not find anywhere!

Last edited:
Pretty much to a man, all RV people are very cool people. People who look down at the HB guys, just don't know what they are missing.

Regards,

Its funny, I think people who fly spam cans are looked down upon. ;)

Welcome aboard! Squeak usually comes to our Airport Awareness Day over at OVO (North Vernon.) Come over with his group on Aug 13 and you can check out my 9A. It will give you a nice comparison between how the two fly. Any RV is an RV--they all bring out that grin. You can also look over the 12 we are building.

Bob

Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome!

Where do you live in Indiana?

Randy: I live in Washington, Indiana, about 80 miles south of you.

You're welcome to fly my -10, left seat, anytime you're down this way (2J3) and see for yourself that it outruns Bonanza's, 210's and Comanche's!...and can haul 4 240 pounders as well.

Read may tag line in red!

Again,...welcome,

Pierre: Thanks for the great offer. If I can get down that way I will take you up on that!

Matt, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

It is great that you are contemplating building an RV.

What is going to be your "Mission" with it???

Knowing what you plan to use the plane for is a big part of choosing the model.

Are you single, married, kids, etc all come into play, does the family fly??

Lots of info about various models and their niche here, get familiar with the search function, and dont be afraid to ask questions.

And, yes, you can build one

Mike: I am married with three boys 6, 5, and 2. Each of them has flown with me, but not all at the same time (I fly a 172 and don't have room for all). I can envision taking the boys on the annual pilgrimage to OSH in the future and the 10 sounds perfect for that. Otherwise most of my flying would fit the two seat model. Of course the boys would probably fight over who went to breakfast with dad on a particular Saturday morning. Hmmm, the 10 is looking better :)

Welcome aboard! Squeak usually comes to our Airport Awareness Day over at OVO (North Vernon.) Come over with his group on Aug 13 and you can check out my 9A. It will give you a nice comparison between how the two fly. Any RV is an RV--they all bring out that grin. You can also look over the 12 we are building.

Bob

Bob: I just might have to do that! Thanks!

Frowns

I use to work at Falcon Field (FFZ) in Mesa, AZ. That field has Phoenix, Composites (Glasair Kit Manufacturer), several Warbird restoration facilities, and a lot of aviation servicing facilities. I was a fueler for Falcon Executive Aviation, and got to see a lot of different aircraft. There definitely was a difference in attitude from those that flew certificated aircraft, and those that flew their homebuilts. Interestingly enough, the homebuilt crowd were the people that I would have much rather dealt with than the guys flying their Cessna 421's and Certificated Pitt's. The Homebuilt crowd is much more friendly, and much more accepting.

I think it is great to see the videos on youtube, of RV's passing Cessna's like they are standing still. Welcome to the crowd! I hope to join the RV owner crowd during this decade, and punch holes through the sky in an -8.

Let the spam can owners keep their spam can bills, and lesser performance.

welcome

Glad to see another person interested in experimental aircraft. These aircraft we build and fly represent the leading edge of general aviation. Performance is spectacular to say the least, and after a while you will throw rocks at the old factory built airplanes for sure!! I like to think that we as a group are much more open minded and optimistic about our aircraft and aviation. I like flying and am interested in just about anything that flies. Experimental aircraft though, give me so much mor of an opportunity to really build and fly some of the best aircraft around to date.

bird

The 10 is a 10!

I can envision taking the boys on the annual pilgrimage to OSH in the future and the 10 sounds perfect for that. Otherwise most of my flying would fit the two seat model. Of course the boys would probably fight over who went to breakfast with dad on a particular Saturday morning. Hmmm, the 10 is looking better :)

Mike,

I can totally identify with your feelings about the 7 and the 10. I was in the same boat minus the kids (although my wife is pregnant with our first and due in December). The 7 has a definite "2-seat sportscar" appeal. Its responsiveness is excellent, however, I can say it's a great CC cruiser too b/c I rode in one all the way to OSH last year, from Denver. I mulled it over many times with my wife and was worried that I would regret building the 10 as opposed to the 7. After getting a ride in David Maib's RV10, I was hooked. While it's not a "2-seat Corvette" like the 7, I'd say it has the feel of a comfortable "sports sedan" with room for 4. It's definitely more responsive than the cessnas you (and I) are used to. It's much wider and more comfortable inside than a Skyhawk, and it really has a great climb, considering its heavy useful load. We decided to go with the 10 to allow for kids, friends, or just tons of "stuff" if my wife and I go a long way off. In the end, if I want a 7, I'm sure I could fine a great "trade" at that time.. ;) Take the plunge. You only live once, or not at all.

X 2!!

...what Mike Rettig said!

We loved our 6A and flew it 500 hours in 5 years, all over the Southeast.

The -10 really has a deep place in our hearts...waaaay more than I ever would have thought....(yes, I'm in love:))...see how few are for sale! So many things about it...incredible visibility over the nose...tons of elbow room and in my opinion, is way under estimated in the load it can carry. Huge baggage area and we can run LOP at 11 1/2 GPH at the same speeds 210's and Bonanza's run at 75 % ROP! No regrets whatsoever, even tho' I miss rolling the airplane around now and then.

Our mission is going places with friends...FAST!

Best,

Another Pilot Hooked on RV's

Matt, If you need another RV Fix we are headed to Rough River Saturday morning and Oshkosh on Sunday. As of right now have an empty right seat going to Rough River if you are up for breakfast. Send me an email. Also we plan on going to North Vernon (Airport Awareness Day) August 13th so you could check out Bob?s RV9A. Would be interesting going down to Pierre?s for transition training into the RV10. Always wanted to get some time in RV10 but might be an expensive flight.

Squeak
RV7A

Welcome Matt

I found the builders involved in the forum to be great help when i built my RV10. Ofcourse they do have differnces of opinions from time to time. I went from furniture builder to spam can maker. God's work!
Randy Means
595RV
90 hours flatlander

Back