What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Ray Allen Stick

Beer30?

Well Known Member
Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the toggle switches on a Ray Allen stick grip? I was wiring my stick, when one of the toggle switches broke (probably my fault). I contacted Ray Allen co, and they want almost $20 (including shipping) to replace a switch that sells for $2.00 at DigiKey. I know they have to make money, but it kind of irks me to pay an additional $20 to get their product working. At this point, I'd rather not deal with them on this issue.

I'm trying to get the switch out, to replace it, but it's wedged in their pretty tightly. Any ideas on how to remove this?

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
$$ just covers the switch

The switch costs $10 from Ray Allen, and all you get is the tiny switch. They want $7 for priority shipping. You still need to disassemble, install and reassemble. The acual switch is smaller than a dime, and could be put in an envelope and mailed for less than a dollar.

DD

To your question - the switches are installed with several matrix layers held in with small phillips screws. IIRC, the last layer has all the switches fastened to it. I took pictures of each layer and wire routing (v.important) then reassembled with the new switches.

It is pretty straight forward, you just take it apart, replace reverse the process. The length and routing of the wires is critical to get them nested back into the matrix layers.

I thought I documented the switch brands and types, but can not seem to locate today :eek: I did find the pictures, but they are nothing that won't be seen on disassembly.

Edit: In my discussions with RA, I got a helpful response and good service.

Last edited:
Ray allen

I had just the opposite experience with Ray Allen.i was in San Diego last month and stopped by their office as I needed stick grips. They sat down , showed me their product line,and gave me all the information I needed to install. Gave me a tour of their facility. They spent 45 minutes with me. I think their prices are excellent compared to other grips out there. I also think the $ 7.00 postage is cheap compared to other vendors on this site. With all the vendors I have purchased from these people were the best. So instead of complaining about a person making a living , go buy it at digit key.

No complaints

No complaints here. They make good products, which is why I purchased them to start with. We're all home builders (including Ray). Some things we're willing to pay for, and others not. In this case, I'll source my own parts. Thanks for the advice Bill, that's what I was needing.

David

Back