What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Fastener Tabs

Justin.Ice2010

I'm New Here
I want to use the Camlocks on my firewall and maybe the sides. At a fly-in recently, I saw a really nice RV6 with the cowling off. He had prefabricated tabs that looked really nice and obviously saved a ton of time not having to fabricate the flanges. I'm trying to compare the options...the Milspec web advertises Vans kits but I doubt they have the flanges or if they do, according to a recent post, they cost extra, like $4 or $5 each. Does anyone know for sure if the flanges are part of a kit or do you order them separate for a higher cost complete kit? Do you need the tabs on the sides? I can see where the firewall fabrication is tricky.

Justin Ice RV6

Check out Skybolt

I think you probably saw the Skybolt flanges. i plan on using these on my cowl. as well. They are having a great promotion right now on complete kits. I'm not associated with the, but you can check iy our for yourself.

David

I'm using the Milspec kit and made my tabs. It really didn't take too much time. Once I decided on the spacing it spent a day cutting them out of .050 sheet.

I want to use the Camlocks on my firewall and maybe the sides. At a fly-in recently, I saw a really nice RV6 with the cowling off. He had prefabricated tabs that looked really nice and obviously saved a ton of time not having to fabricate the flanges. I'm trying to compare the options...the Milspec web advertises Vans kits but I doubt they have the flanges or if they do, according to a recent post, they cost extra, like $4 or $5 each. Does anyone know for sure if the flanges are part of a kit or do you order them separate for a higher cost complete kit? Do you need the tabs on the sides? I can see where the firewall fabrication is tricky.

Justin Ice RV6

I used the SkyLocs; or (Sky**** ) I did not use down the cowl split. As DanH pointed out, they are like teeth that snag the cowl and scratch the paint, not to mention a pain for installation. My side pieces were made from a single strip. Look here for the details. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114861

Firewall - well, I did use the Skylocs there, but again, you could do a strip of 3-4-5 depending on the curvature, and get them done that way too.

Do some good planning for the spacing and if you are good at fabrication by now, it won't take much longer than ready-made (if any). Make good drill guides, jigs etc , and remember you can not match drill 8 holes in a row around the curve on the transition to the side.

Happy drilling.

Back