What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling Fastener Kit Sale -Complete RV Kits

Skybolt is offering a 20% discount on all of our COMPLETE RV cowling kits for the month of December. The sales starts today and ends December 31st 2015. Please remember to reference December Sale in the comments box when ordering online:) Please click here for a description and photos of our kit contents.

Skybolt appreciates your business and we wish you all a Happy Holiday and safe flying.

Complete Firewall kit

I'm in the market for the complete firewall kit + receptacles. Would the sale price apply?

David

RV-8

Can you give me the total cost for a complete set for an RV-8 with a phillips connector?

Getting closer!

Thanks

Don

Thanks

Is there anything additonal i will require with that? I see related products, but are they required for an install?

Thanks

Don

Bought the complete kit for my RV-9A last Christmas when they had the same sale.

I've got 120 hours on my 9A now, and have had the cowling off more times than I can count during the first 50 hours especially.

They aren't cheap, but I'd buy them again in a second. They look really nice, and make getting the cowling off so much easier/safer (on your paint).

-Dan

Mounting Tabs

Skybolt is offering a 20% discount on all of our COMPLETE RV cowling kits for the month of December. The sales starts today and ends December 31st 2015. Please remember to reference December Sale in the comments box when ordering online:) Please click here for a description and photos of our kit contents.

Skybolt appreciates your business and we wish you all a Happy Holiday and safe flying.

I get confused about who has the mount tabs. Milspec Fasteners has a cheaper kit but I think you have to buy the tabs separate or fabricate your own. Does anyone know the straight scoop on the tabs? Does Milspec even offer the tabs? It seems like I saw a post where they do.

Thanks, Justin
Building RV6

I would recommend the pliers and the appropriate retainer installation tool.

One addition thing. Buy a pack of these o-rings to hold the grommets in the cowl during the process. I tried other methods and this worked the best without interfering with the installation. Retainer removal is difficult.
IMG_1241%252520copy.jpg

I get confused about who has the mount tabs. Milspec Fasteners has a cheaper kit but I think you have to buy the tabs separate or fabricate your own. Does anyone know the straight scoop on the tabs? Does Milspec even offer the tabs? It seems like I saw a post where they do.

Thanks, Justin
Building RV6

Hi Justin
Skybolt has the mount tabs. All Skybolt Kits include enough of our US Patented SK-RVFS1 pre-fabricated mounting flanges to easily construct a factory-appearance; fully functional ?-Turn Engine Cowling.
The interlocking flanges allow adjustment for receptacle clearance in areas like the engine mount....in seconds.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to give me a call

Thank you
April :)
352-326-0001

I would recommend the pliers and the appropriate retainer installation tool.

One addition thing. Buy a pack of these o-rings to hold the grommets in the cowl during the process. I tried other methods and this worked the best without interfering with the installation. Retainer removal is difficult.
IMG_1241%252520copy.jpg

Great suggestion! :)

Skybolt 20% OFF year-end sale

Skybolt 20% year-end sale ends December 31st. Starting today, all Skybolt Vans RV Kits will include our newest SK245A162A Adjustable Non-Floating Receptacles:
1) Easily convert to a floating receptacle if required for hole and cowling alignment. Converting to a floating receptacle is a snap-out, snap-in exchange of the barrel/insert, 2ea included per kit.
2) Our new SK-RET012 temporary grommet retainers.

This kit revision will also allow the builder to easily convert to optional ejecting fasteners when they become available in mid-2016. Our latest development for the defense industry will become another innovative design that allows the stud to fully retract when unlocked with perfectly flush heads when locked regardless of skin thickness variations. Adjustment only sets the clamp-up force.

Just wondering if there will be a show special for SnF or OSH16?

Also, can you provide more details on the differences of the non-floating receptacle and the ejecting fasteners? How are there different from the stock ones that come in the RV kit?

Thanks!

Non-Floaters and Ejecting Studs

We changed to the cage configuration using non-floating inserts so that if a floating insert is required for a hole not quite centered, simply change the insert. The cowling remains non-floating. There is no side to side movement which means the cowling nose can not move up or down. The bucktail of the rivet limits end to end. It is our theory, the limited end to end movement will not allow the cowling to move.

The ejector studs remain on the drawing board to adapt a design we did for a defense contract. We hope to see some prototypes by late summer. The design will be a simple exchange option for the current CLoc design. Everything uses the same cage and the same holes for the grommets....no cowling modifications or new paint required. They will cost more and therefore, they will be an option...but a really nice option.

I hope everyone has a very safe Sun N Fun and trip home,

Ned Bowers, Skybolt

Any show specials for Oshkosh? I'm on the fence about using these and a show discount may push me over the edge :)

Skybolts

I was told one of the owners Debra Bowers would be at the show in the Aero booth. I looked at the list of exhibitors and I believe it's the Aero fasteners booth that she will be at. A show deal was not mentioned. I am going to stop by there and check. I'm on the fence to, but don't want any excuse to not remove the cowl and look things over.

Is SkyBolt still in business? No reply to emails.

I wonder if they will be this hard to contact once I'm not trying to give them money and need support...

Found the AERO booth and they offered a tiny discount and I decided not to buy as they have a new product right around the corner. If anyone comes across them at the old 20-30% discount please let me know.

I purchased from the A.E.R.O. Booth, they gave me 10% off plus free shipping for RV14 upper cowling only kit. Best I could find.

Cheers Jim

Is SkyBolt still in business? No reply to emails.

I wonder if they will be this hard to contact once I'm not trying to give them money and need support...

I struggled mightily with Skybolt during my build many years ago. They took my order and didn't advise that they were out of stock. Then, when I followed up weeks later, it was like pulling teeth to get a promise date on the delivery.

It was the AERO booth. Not the Aero fasteners, I made a wrong assumption about the booth. They are the competition. Aero did have the 10% off offer. I will wait to see if Skybolts offers a 20% discount at the end of the year.

Back