What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended stops to/from Oshkosh?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
So in a few weeks, if we can get the new instrument panel in the RV-9A and I can learn how to use it, I'll be flying myself to Oshkosh in a circuitous route so that I will have done takeoffs and landings in all of the lower 48 states. The route is Georgia over to Louisiana, up to Iowa, then Oshkosh; after the show, over to Maine and down the east coast back to Savannah.

So here's the question -- what are the fun airports to stop at along the way? Points are given for interesting airplanes and attractions ON THE AIRPORT; food on the airport or very close with a courtesy car; and of course, cheap gas. Grass fields in good condition are fine, Class C airspace and airports are not a problem, as that's what my home field has.

What airports would you recommend?

C17 - KIIB

Hi Ed! I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations here, but I'll throw an early one in since you mentioned my home state of IA. I have two equal recommendations for you in the eastern IA area. Both have cheap fuel and either would work as a great "last-stop" with OSH only a short ~1-1.5hr hop over the Mississippi away. Sorry, neither has food on the field other than the typical $1 pilot munchies and refreshments:

C17 - Marion, IA: Small "homey" airport with a mildly challenging 26-ft wide (but plenty long) paved runway. Nothing too special on the field as far as planes or attractions go, but they do have a courtesy car (an old beat-up buick) and shopping/food/hotels are close nearby. Sarah works the desk here and will be happy to get you fueled up! Oh, they have mogas available too if that's your preferred flavor.

KIIB - Independence, IA: Same "homey" feel airport typically buzzing with folks who love to hangar fly and spread the love of aviation. Owner/airport mgr Jonathan is a close friend of ours and is also an excellent instructor/pilot who specializes in advanced training (tail, upset attitude/spin training and mild aerobatics) in a beautifully restored 7GCAA Citabria. Courtesy car also available (a bada** Ford Aerostar, remember those?!) to hit up a local diner or hotel, although there are probably a few less sightseeing options nearby since Independence is a fairly small town... it's a huge airport for the size of the town!

Best of luck in your voyage up north! :D

66S in northern Idaho for a camping overnight or lunch stop. No fuel. It also has great access to an easy route back through the Rockies where you don't really have to go above 8000' to pass. I think it's the Lewis or Clark River valley.

Thanks, Mike! Actually, I used to live in Marion, IA. Sid, Idaho is way, way out of the way for this trip -- maybe next time I'm out west.

3O9--Right on Grand Lake in Oklahoma, food on the field or they'll give you a lift to the floating restaurant on the dock.

MO9--Kingsly Missouri, Hangar Kafe right on the field

K81--Miama County with decent fuel and We-B-Smokin BBQ.

1K1--Stearman field with restaurant

How about Walnut Ridge, Arkansas?

I stopped there on the way from KHAO to Austin and it was a dandy find. The FBO folks were friendly and helpful; the Ops building had CLEAN restrooms with a Pilot lounge full of free drinks and snacks.

Next door to Ops is a unique restaurant, an old converted SWA 737:

http://www.parachuteinnrestaurant.com

Check times, the hours/days vary.

Finally, after lunch there's a dandy museum just across the street from Ops recounting the history of the airport, staffed by some fine folks who fed me a free breakfast just for stopping in that Saturday morning!

http://www.wingsofhonor.org/Pages/default.aspx

Avgas was cheap, free food, and a dandy way to walk off lunch and kill an hour!

A pilot's dream!

:D

KBUU Gas about $3.99/gal

Burlington WI, KBUU is 1/2 hour south (78nm) of OSH, 18nm inland from Kenosha KENW. Normal price self serve, as of last 6/20.

Cheapest fuel lin eastern Iowa is typically Washington AWG. Call about crew car.
Also cheap is Clinton. New FBO. Crew car to nice restaurants on Mississippi River.
Iowa City KIOW has crew car and can walk to food. Higher priced fuel. A couple of L29's, M2, etc. in the OPL hangar.
Monticello KMXO crew car. If hangar is open, T28, Skyraider, T6.
You could land at Blakesburg SW of Ottumwa, home of Antique Aircraft Association. Grass strip. Nice museum of old stuff. Call first to make sure it's open.
Greenfield is clear west of Des Moines but a wonderful museum.
Muscatine MUT is OK. Crew car.

Back