What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Storing a Catto 3 Blade Prop

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
I have a beautiful 3 blade Catto prop but I'm not ready to mount it just yet. What is the best way to store a prop like this until I'm ready to mount it? ie lay it flat on floor, lean against wall and sit on the blades, etc...Any experiences?

Storing Catto Prop

I used a metal rod about 1 1/2 inch in diameter bolted to the wall of the shop to hang the prop on. Stored about a year that way. Tim

For what it's worth...

I left the box on mine and leaned it against a wall with another box under the hub to support it with the tips off the floor...

At Craig's shop they are mostly laying flat. Just a few hanging on the hubs. Only blanks are temporarily stood on the tips.

Last edited:
I have an idea...

OK, since no one else offered...

I'd be willing to carefully store this for you right in front of my IO-360. It will be carefully mounted using only the finest hardware. Of course, possession is 9/10 of the law.

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

David

Another vote for leaving it in the box

Craig's shipping containers are an engineering marvel. I decided there was no way I could find - or dream up - better storage my 3 blade. I opened the carton at the tip of one blade just to see see it and say, "ooooooh. Nice." But the rest of the carton was left intact. I hung it on the wall by the hub.

Thanks for the info everyone. I agree that the boxes are an engineering marvel. It was a challenge to figure out how to get the prop out of the box. :eek:)

I have a beautiful 3 blade Catto prop but I'm not ready to mount it just yet. What is the best way to store a prop like this until I'm ready to mount it? ie lay it flat on floor, lean against wall and sit on the blades, etc...Any experiences?

Hang the pricey work of art on a wall in your house. :)

Believe me, that's what I want to do. I'm so proud of it. I was going to just put it right up there on the wall by the family portraits! (Hee hee) Unfortunately, my wife looks at it as just another airplane part that belongs in the cold hangar.:-(

Ben, I will get a picture of my prop, but this is where I stored the two engines I bought. You have to admit, my wife is pretty accommodating to my airplane building.
enginesinthehouse.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back