What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best battery

A battery that large would be very unusual in an RV and is going to weigh about 60 lbs.

Maybe take a look at other RV electrical systems and see what others with similar equipment are using?

Does Brazil require a full hour reserve battery capacity for maximum possible power draw? You will not be pulling peak current constantly - the radios are only transmitting for a few seconds at a time, the battery does not need to be that large - it only need to handle the AVERAGE load for that period of time.

Get Bob Nucchols book

Cristiano,

If you haven't already done so, you should get Bob Nuckols AeroElectric Connection book. It describes in detail how to size a battery for an A/C load. Remember, that for most of the time, your alternator will be topping up your battery, so the battery does not need to carry the full load of your avionics. If the alternator dies, you'd want to get back on the ground with just a subset of the electrical, and there are strategies to deal with that event. Many will go with an Odyssey PC680, and then a smaller backup battery for the endurance bus. There's quite a bit written here about these scenarios. Use the search feature, and happy reading.

David

Thank you guys!

My panel consumption is about 35Ah with pressed PTT.
Brazil does not requires any battery reserve.
I'm experiencing battery drops because I'm still learning to use the AFS EFIS and GTN650 and I have problems with GTX32 that doesn't works. I,m trying different configurations in the GTN and it overloads the battery. I do it on ground without power and I do not have a external power connector.
I did read some folks saying that the quality of the Odyssey batteries has dropped. Is it true?

Thank you all!

Cristiano

Do you mean 35A when transmitting? Ah or amp hour is a measurement of charge, not of power - you would need to keep your PTT on for an entire hour to use that amount if you are reading 35 amps at time of transmission. You really need external power to play with your avionics on the ground.

Do you mean 35A when transmitting? Ah or amp hour is a measurement of charge, not of power - you would need to keep your PTT on for an entire hour to use that amount if you are reading 35 amps at time of transmission. You really need external power to play with your avionics on the ground.

Well, this was what the panel builder told me. The plane came with a 26Ah battery but now it have the 60Ah that probably wasn't full charged and got zero charge. I recharged twice but it doesn't maintain the charge. So I'm acquiring a new one and will do it at Sun 'n Fun on Lakeland. How may I post a picture of my panel here?

Last edited:
Advanced Auto Part

These look good to me and are available at Advanced Auto Parts for $83. They are 4lbs lighter than the Odyssey PC-680 but are rated at 14Ah compared to 16Ah for the Odyssey. Part No. ETX15L.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...gnapower_16940004-p?zoneAssigned=1#fragment-2

MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 220 CCA
Acid Included: Yes
Amp Hours: 14 h
Battery Type: AGM
Battery Usage: Power Sport
Cell Electrochemical Type: Acid
Cold Cranking Amps: 220
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 6.5625 in
Length: 5.25 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Package Quantity: 1