What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where did you hit the wall?

bret

Well Known Member
Well, full steam ahead for three years, just finished the slider, now waiting on funds for the expensive stuff. I think I just ran out of stuff to do on the build. I don't want to put it on a shelf, what have folks done in this situation?

I'm probably going to run into the same problem; the airframe will get close to done and then it'll sit for a while while I scrape together funds for an engine and avionics. Interested to hear the responses...

I did not have that problem, but my personality is such that when I get stopped in the build for any reason, it seems almost impossible to get started again, although I thoroughly enjoy the building process. Often there are little things you can keep on doing while waiting for funds, my advice is to look for and accomplish those tasks. Might be an age related thing but I find I have forgotten far too many details of the build while on a break, makes getting started again difficult.

Paint

If you are going to paint it yourself go ahead and start painting the pieces that are complete. That will burn up a lot of time :) Currently 6 weeks into painting... with a lot more to go.

I approached this stage MUCH faster than anticipated and am facing the exact same thing. Although I don't know the exact status of your build i'm sure you can find inexpensive things that will occupy your time. Get everything 100% except for avionics and engine.

Here are some thoughts

- Design & Plan your panel (this took much much longer than I anticipated) If your doing something modern with an EFIS, I think Stein told me to anticipate 3-400 hours to build if it's your first one.
- Finalize Engine selection and accessories
- gear, wheels, engine mount
- fiberglass, wheel & gear fairings
- antenna doubler plates & antennas
- ELT & Autopilot mounts
- stick grips
- slider koger shade
- mount wings & empennage (then disassemble)
- elevator & Aileron trim
- fuel pump
- wing lighting, pitot, wiring, etc.
- cockpit interior
- baggage compartment tie-downs
- wiring
- firewall pass throughs

Sounds like me, I had most of the kits completed except no engine or finish kit after 3 years. It took 4 years of planning and saving but I've been back at it for about a year. Now I wish I would have completely finished everything, all of the little odd and end stuff really add up. Have you finished all of the fiberglass? You could fill the cowling pinholes inside and out. If you could borrow an engine core you could mount the cowling.

lots of good ideas, thanks, I am painting as I go but can't do the fuse till the pannel, top skin and windshield are in. guess I could do pants and gear leg farrings, that should take so time....

lots of good ideas, thanks, I am painting as I go but can't do the fuse till the pannel, top skin and windshield are in. guess I could do pants and gear leg farrings, that should take so time....
Why can't you paint the empennage, wings, ailerons, flaps? Unless you are familiar, there'll be a learning curve.

Take some time to think about after the build. There's a lot of end-of-build tasks that you can prepare for now. For instance, start a POH. True, you won't be able to finalize the numbers at this point but you can lay out the format and leave yourself markers in your document so you don't forget anything you want to add. It's also a good time to start planning your flight test program. And you can also organize your shop/hangar - not just the leftover parts and tools but also the consumables, spares, and reference materials. Locate your DAR or FSDO and see what they want in documentation and start gathering what you can. I wrote my program letter draft a year before I finished the RV-6A, for instance. We get so caught up in building that we forget it is followed by flying and maintaining.

Also, if you haven't been staying current, this is a good time to go flying again. If you can get some time in your model, that is icing on the cake. Plus, it keeps you motivated.

Totally agree with Flion! I finished my build and was ready to fly but I hadn't done any of the paperwork, fed registration, state registration, finding a DAR, any paperwork for the engine or airframe data plates, all the forms for the airworthiness app, airmanship cert, equipment warranty forms, piles of FAA forms, POH, flight test program, etc etc etc! Anyway, all of this stuff took me 6 months! When you think everything is done, you've only just started! Happy paperwork. :D

Totally agree with Flion! I finished my build and was ready to fly but I hadn't done any of the paperwork, fed registration, state registration, finding a DAR, any paperwork for the engine or airframe data plates, all the forms for the airworthiness app, airmanship cert, equipment warranty forms, piles of FAA forms, POH, flight test program, etc etc etc! Anyway, all of this stuff took me 6 months! When you think everything is done, you've only just started! Happy paperwork. :D

So, Are there any good resources for this process? I did not know it was such a process. I thought this would just be a couple nights of paperwork:eek:

EAA has a paperwork "kit" ...

... runs about $15 or so, has all the paperwork and forms you need. But be forewarned, many of the FAA forms have been superceded by a newer release or version since the EAA assembled the kits. My DAR said the FAA will reject any form that's not the latest one issued, even if your older form has all the info they need. Check the FAA website to see the latest version of all forms.

We borrowed $25,000 from our local bank for a used engine and the basic avionics. We overhauled the engine (O-360 from a flipped Mooney) ourselves with some A&P help.

Never regretted it.

Best,

The paperwork kit is handy. My DAR was very helpful and reviewed all my paperwork via email before he made the trip up from PHX to inspect my plane; it took some back and forth before we were done. On the day, he showed up with everything printed out, including my operating limitations, and the post-inspection paper party was pretty smooth. Other things, like the POH, are up to you. My RV-6A POH is pretty basic. The one for the -10 will be more complex, not including the supplemental manuals for all the avionics. Research and decision-making are all part of the process.

Used engine

Im roughly at the same point. Here is my plan for staying busy. Also, I refuse to go into debt for this, so I'm working overtime to pay for the stuff I describer here.

I took the $$ I was saving for my engine, and found a good core her on VAF. Since then, I've been methodically sending out pieces to ECi and the other engine shops to get refurbished. Is is going to save me quite a bit on the engine, and I'm getting an engine education in the process. I've researched electronic ignitions, and still need to do some research on fuel injection.

In the meantime, I built (and rebuilt) the fuel system, designed and started on the electrical layout, fiberglassed the empennage tips, and took my Ham radio license test (so I could install an APR). Thanks to Pete Howell, I'm building my own APR antenn. I rolled my own Nav lights, am building up the wing tips with APR, Nav and strobes, etc. Also bought the ELT and strobe backet kits from Vans, and installed them. I found someone with an engine mount he wasn't using, and bought it so I could save some $$ on the finishing kit and could also lay out the firewall.

This far, I haven't run out of things to do. Good luck!

David

As mentioned, the EAA kit is very helpful but it is just a guideline. Plus it assumes you have already done your homework! I on the other hand assumed it woud be easy and simple. (OK, I confess I used the FAA for my inspection and I beg of you, USE A DAR!)

The forms are easy to make mistakes on. For example, when I filled out the FAA registration form, it was very specific as to the format of the builders name; Last First Middle. When you read the EAA information kit on the data plate, it just says to put builders name on first line or somthing like that. So, I put: First, Middle, Last. Had the data plate engraved and installed it like a proud builder. The first thing the FAA guy did was take the registration over to the data plate and started shaking his head. What's the problem? It's me, we're the same guy! Nope! Stop everything and start over with new data plate, schedule, paperwork, etc. GRRRRR (I beg of you, USE A DAR who will help with the paperwork!)

There are so many placed to screw up the forms, use a DAR who will help get through it.

Anyway, between completed construction and first flight was 6 months caused in part by not having paperwork stuff done that I should have. So you can start very early in the build getting some of this done when you have lots of time.

Also as mentioned, use the time to find/design a paint look that you really like. This took me almost a year of exploring and rolls and rolls of masking tape on the sides before I settled on the final plan. This was a fun process that I worked on when I didn't feel like pounding rivets. Printed lots of profiles and drew lots of designs.

I'm going through the same thing here, too, Bret. I found a great deal on an engine, but it really cleaned me out, financially. I haven't gone into debt at all, and I hope to keep it that way. But I've been spinning my wheels a lot, trying to keep busy and make progress with small bits here and there. I'm working on my electrical wiring, learning a lot, and I keep finding small things to do. It's hard to progress though, when everywhere you turn there's something you need that you don't have.

The "Wall"

I am at the "Wall" and understand this place well. I have decided to retrace my steps in the builders manual. I highlighted in "Pink" when I had to skip ahead on a task, and plan on returning to all these pages to make sure I completed those silly little things you forget about. I am also at the point that I am revisiting instrument panel design, current product availability, and thinking out electrical wiring. All I need now is 6 very lucky numbers, and the financial slow down is over....:)

Penetrating the wall

Oh yeah, one thing that helped me at this point - I sold the Screaming Eagle Electra Glide last month :eek: heck, haven't ridden the thing since I started the build (and having new baby). Don't miss it a bit and more room in my garage.

I must have picked out the two most expensive hobbies, big twin engine boat and airplanes, might need to go on a Top Ramen diet...

Back