What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Johnson Creek and beyond....

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Six of us (1 -7, 1 -6, and 4 -4's) are making our annual pilgrimage from North Florida to Johnson Creek this weekend. We plan on arriving on Sunday, staying a few nights, then heading off to who knows where for another few nights.

Anyone going to be there when we are? If so, stop by the campsite for some talk, music, and good times.

Jealous of you guys. I want to spend a week at Cavanaugh Bay so bad. Hands down the best place I've ever been in my RV.

Last edited:
Jealous of you guys. I want to spend a week at Cavanaugh Bay so bad. Hands down the best place I've every been in my RV.

We spent a night there towards the end of our trip last year. Only problem was everything was soaked because of the rains.

The approach over the lake is really neat!!

Chris,
Just noticed your signature location now shows Orlando. I thought you were in Palatka? Did you move down this way?

The SuperCub flyin is this weekend. Already dozens of aircraft at JC and it will number into the hundreds. You might want to rethink arriving Sunday.

How facetious the "high speed pass" comment might be I don't know. But that sort of circus act has no place in the backcountry. Approach and land.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Mark, yep, I moved recently. I'm just off Alafaya a couple miles south of the 408. Right after I get back we are heading to NC for the summer. We should get together when I return in October.

John,

Thanks for the heads-up, but we are well aware of the SuperCub flyin. Some of us have been made this trip annually since 2007. We arrive mid-afternoon on Sunday, when most of that group has left.

You must have not read the posts very carefully. No one mentioned, much less suggested, doing a high speed pass at JC. The posts were referring to a song, not a proposed arrival. We strictly follow the JC arrival and departure procedures suggested here: https://www.idahoaviation.com/docs/details.php?id=76

Now, calling a high speed pass a "circus act", well, not sure where that attitude comes from. I'm sure there are a lot on this forum that would disagree with you on that point of view.... :)

Hello, Chris,

I may even pop up to say "hi" if I can break away next week. Bring some FL humidity with you; we can use it.

I did see that a song was the subject, but it had to have roots. Like the proverbial rhino charging from the brush to stomp out a campfire, I'm quick to jump on whiffs of impropriety in the backcountry. We've seen too many "Hey, watch this!" types show up here, free of Class D restraints, who think we're here to appreciate them.

Of course, I'll never admit I would ever have done such a thing.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Back