What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Aerobatics

Little Wing RV-4

I'm New Here
I want to fly Aerobatics in my RV-4 other than aileron rolls. It has O-320 160hp, no inverted fuel or oil, carbureted, fixed pitch prop. Is there anyone out there, anywhere, who provides Aerobatic instruction in an RV-4 same configuration, or is it just not recommended in this type airplane other than rolls?
Thanks

The aircraft, including in your configuration, is no issue doing a lot more e.g. loops.

The issue will be getting instruction in it... usually an RV-4 2 up is above the max aeros weight, even with little fuel. Depending on you, the instructor, the country you are in, the rules and your attitude to the rules/limits some people might undertake it?

Alternative is get the instruction on another type, ideally RV-7/8, which will translate well. If it is "basic" aerobatic instruction you require, I would use a more conventional aerobatic type until proficient, then a quick RV "convex" as above.

The RV-4 is a horrible airplane for aerobatic instruction. You'd both have to be jockey sized for the CG/W&B to work out and it's kind of slick if you screw it up.

The idea behind aerobatic instruction, at least in the beginning, is knowing how to fix the screw up. 2 things happen, a dive (not good in an RV if you aren't paying attention) and a spin (not good in an aft CG RV-4).

Go get some instruction in an Extra, Pitts or Citabria. I think the Extra flies like an RV-4 if you just limit the control input. You'll have the same sight picture and basic flying characteristics.

RV4 A/B training

Much thanks to both of you for your help. I have found a school in Fla that has both the Citabria and Extra, and will go that route.
Happy New Year!

Back