What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS coupled approaches with remote Val Nav radio

Jesse

Well Known Member
I know this has been hashed around a fair bit recently, but not exactly as I am wondering, hence the new thread. Has anybody installed the AFS (Val) remote Nav radio and used it for coupling an ILS approach (or VOR or Loc) both vertically and laterally? I assume it can be done, but wanted to verify.

I'm interested in the same thing, and also whether or not the Val Nav radio will interface with an older, non-S AFS 3500?

The AF-NavRadio (VAL) has the same interface as the SL-30 NAV side. We have many customers that fly fully coupled approaches using the SL-30. We (and VAL) have done all the testing using a NAV simulator with the AF-NavRadio and it is working with the AF-5000 EFIS screens.

We are currently replacing the SL-30 in the RV-10 with the Dynon Com and AF-NavRadio and we should be flying approaches in the next few days.

The older AF-3000 and AF-4500 units do not have the ability to tune the NAV frequencies and will not work with the NAV or Com radio. The AF-5400 is a drop in replacement for the AF-3500 and AF-4500 EFIS screens that will give you all the new features including the Dynon Skyview network interface.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Val 2000 or. INS429 would work, wouldn't they?

Rob,

I understand the tuning issue with the 4500 and 3500s. But couldn't one install the Val 2000 or Val INS429, tune the frees the old fashioned way (twist a knob), and still be able to fly coupled approaches with either a 3500 or 4500?

Thanks,

DD

Back