What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clearance issues with elevator trim tab

ToadMan8

Long story short, I didn't bend the elevator AND the trim tab aggressively enough along the relief holes, so they interfere if I were to install them. I probably need a collective fat quarter inch.

An experienced serial builder suggested attempting to smash the bends a bit more aggressively with a mushroom set, but I'm concerned about wrinkling the skins around the bends.

I have seen people cut the ears off, fabricate riblets, face the web of the riblets into the trim tab and elevator, and squeeze some solid rivets around the edge. That seems easy enough, the downside being the unsightly gap between the tab and the elevator (is this an operational issue, or just a visual issue?).

Van's builder assistance suggested a wacky third option, to chop the ears off, score the insides a bit, then use spray-foam (like the stuff you use on your house to seal holes where pipes come through the foundation) to form the "rib", and put some sealant (epoxy?) over the ends.

Any suggestions from experience?

You can have mine...

I didn't like my first trim tab (I think Van's retirement is predicated on all of us buying at least two of these...) even though other builders told me it was just fine. The first one was built with a riblet, and I believe there is some 'spare' material you could cut off the inboard portion. I can send you photos if you'd like, and would send it to you if you want to cover the shipping. You'd still have to figure out how to deal with the stab though. Contact me via email if you're interested.

David
[email protected]

I had the same situation as you. In my case, I ended up taking it off and cutting off the bend and using the riblet thing.

BUT...

I really like the Van's idea, though I'd probably opt for some sort of balsa/foam/fiberglass epoxy sort of solution.

Back