What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taking the EFIS plunge

hobby_rv6

For those of you that built (or bought) your airplane back before the electronic revolution, and have since upgraded your airplane to include an EFIS, what finally pushed you over the edge into making the financial outlay and replacing a perfectly good "steam gauge" instrument panel?
I fly my RV6 about 100 hours a year in West Texas, and don't get a lot of IFR or night flying, but I see more opportunity to expand my flying in the near future and I want to have all the capabilities on hand that I need (or might want).
I currently have a standard vacuum instrument panel, Garmin GNS430W and a Tru Trak II VSGV, which flies the airplane fine and shoots GPS approaches much better than I can hand fly them. But I still have the itch to put an EFIS in. So what finally convinced you to take the plunge?

Last edited:
My EMS died, and I wanted a redundant 6-pack for IFR. I also added a GNS 480, but didn't want to spend the money for a separate indicator when the Dynon D-180 would give me all of that for less panel space and less money.

When you consider that an HSI alone used to cost upwards of $5k, an EFIS for IFR becomes an obvious choice.

I had an electric attitude gyro that became slower and slower to recover from acro.
The cost of the Dynon D10 was not much more than overhaul for the gyro. Weight was the same. No Brainer!

At 64 years, I'm definitely old school but....

....when I gave some BFR's with guys and their 'glass' cockpits, I quickly realized that I was missing out.

Then I did the first flight for a friend, in his new RV-4 with only a Dynon 180 and 1 round airspeed for back-up, I decided that was it. I found out that not only is a D-180 less expensive than a six-pack, it saves 11 pounds without the vacuum pump and gyros.

My -10 has a D-100 and D-120, coupled to an SL-30 and a 430W, TruTrak ADI II and also flies the lateral part of approaches and I'm almost done with instrument refresher training. I've found out that you can much more easily scan 1 glass panel than six round gauges as well.

Best,

Maybe my situation doesn't really apply, but in theory it does. I had PLANNED my panel a long time ago for steam gauges -- that's all that was available. I planned it out with Panel Planner and printed out several versions. I knew the cost, the information they'd each provide and their respective weights.

By the time I was really ready for a panel, the electronic revolution had arrived and I could get more info for less money and less weight. That settled it for me.

Back