What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chinle, AZ, E91

jpowell13

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of flying out to Chinle, AZ for a few days in July. Looks like a nice long runway with a place to tie down and that's about it. Anyone have local knowledge to share? Thanks, John

Chinle

Lots of air ambulance activity 24/7 so airport is reasonably secure despite remote location. Check with the local motels to see if they will pick you up. No other transportation as far as I know. Canyon jeep tour is highly recommended. Holiday inn is probably best, decent restaurant. Been a while since I was there but not much has changed.

xykd-VZtD9xrFqmZhuo_eCvYU_BZv4Hr9SdDdSZgKYxV8HpAkXCk09HQOontxIuyHsTNMzjfQn47fjj9Y_ToueaM9TXAJvYKBJ4FxamOC6vrxG0_bzqW_Fx3ractOrE7-Ve6n1FFZoU2Ob2APQzjWDeUPZrpu_PxmgIzkQCw3WczwymMUkXIEhIBcz4N69HXf5fmBnK6CGgNG_KQUiLRAwRS-uSDvYZz-bjfb7hFMbKHMNrtAzWISWDulm8gDr5qucjYa71Q_SvCQ3laRelrdPS2wc2CkomKVKNUXOebXbigoqdiIHHyBCrLVGXuq8KKi9PWo90eprFAzG_2NMdad-ecTOEAXsyva71MFZBBNx8oeJJKH-GyQ5KYrTAc_hC7XrKF83gotkc3Rf520wongSiusDKtjpaJkvV_5jfoJYRxTgPR8WmtyZqxvnYaScheaX_TNabtRgQmnolwT8OaKWZN3YWg7k6x8p_Y43tjGZGY7aHxMvFLrqvrwNrHpKlb6_DXau6N4JssVD_LMIfxtiBz6hcvWKt_d5Q9Bl1u2FamxZziHEMWjBtHdNEYUh4_6TPrspYNDjshlu1RU815NOR07MzZPUTtxW8JYgk-iP6uhQj5LPqQ=w495-h331-no

Yep, gets windy there, and in this case about 90* cross.

Motel pickup and return was a snap.

Good luck.

Interesting country. You might hop over to Marble Canyon as well. Motel across the road and a restaurant. Shiprock is nice from the air too.

We were at Monument Valley on Thursday/Friday. First time since they paved the entire runway. Nicer on the prop, but at a loss of charm IMO.

Get the mini Navajo Taco, the full size is a MTOW buster.

Last edited:
We were at Monument Valley on Thursday/Friday. First time since they paved the entire runway. Nicer on the prop, but at a loss of charm IMO.

Get the mini Navajo Taco, the full size is a MTOW buster.

Looks a bit familiar----------

itITfEfg1GrwVuZL56dXpjWz1jV7ruSAQeLjeux_2EYR4jt25rUGmZXMbHoAvBbP6OnbmP-YOgzX1PuVd2893ytqB7a2QUXCqHxtBRXfGM-a-eLld7rCe9JCzF0W44qtlc5Y-TgFBzh1w2jwc2ogmKyQbY8yIxBx9ydl9vxiyN9CzhtMsvh_Afa2p86NQhbQVxmdmMoey6_3IjGr0UgHeufHOgcxPCTRCFE67zFFbqbEhBA5POwTDeaJ9bkfrZS2-2Dt56e4jx5e0WNPyEYOYeEfDmXwNvUzIKYOItPEGFBzSC73MpqLp8oxGJ5iQVII0lI87MGRRpZKhHegta7ilhIgckfbFVlt7GroYllLuti5tCFOTG7orYt0IxGHd50cIszSMfYc7lRv9kjdRBlAW0n8IvDaAMqzc0oJcxPjuqU09k0SC6zx3_pM3jfV4zh9iE24GW834f5ZGmD24N4QJ9fIGi8VYh50qm4fFAfZrWL6LwrwnaDkBdr8lnQFqh45KCJ-RwTU3OfXeqxoLBy-3jEbh9ybsq14DyQwiEJu_FWs0ak5PvrsFKghyCmi6GPF5ykhJJrWCWxlysmpu6VwkPDkr2FAtOPHpisQKdaxD9dQr__VvJECYQ=w1327-h888-no

That's funny. I think I was standing at the picnic table in front of the trading post when I took that.
30 years ago this month I got my first regular paycheck Flying job for an outfit called Lake Powell Air, and one of the common assignments was flying tourons into there several times a week from Page. We'd sit in the restaurant or play PacMan in the gas station while they took a ground tour, then we'd fly them back. I was in Page last week too and several of the old 207's on the ramp were the same ones we flew 30 years ago ... and we thought they were tired back then!
There is something about the whole color canyons area that just gets into your soul and forces you to come back.

Chinle

A word of caution: Chinle and Kayenta are reasonably safe airports to leave an airplane overnight. I would not leave an airplane unguarded even for an hour on any of the other reservation airstrips in that area. Way too much vandalism. Kayenta is the nicest of the Navaho towns, Chinle a close second. Still lots of bad actors both places.

OP

Not sure about the contradiction in the last post. Safe or not safe?
Anyway... as you might have noticed, posters are suggesting prettier areas to visit than Chinle. At least for an overnight or extended visit.
Hope it all works out and you have a nice trip. Post a photo or two after and we can all update our knowledge base. Cheers !

Reason for going to Chinle

I was invited to join a group that goes to the Navajo Nation each summer and builds a church. Two years ago I flew into Cortez, CO. Last year it was Winslow, AZ. Both trips were great. Flew through Monument Valley out of Cortez which was awesome.

This year the construction project is in Chinle. Due to the 12 hour work days I would probably not get back to the plane for a three day stretch. Might be best to fly to a secure airport, such as Gallup (GUP), and rent a car. John

Last edited:
E91

I just departed Chinle. After getting a first hand report from a pilot friend in the town and talking with the airport manager, I decided to park the plane there for six nights. There's a security camera viewing the ramp and 3 King Airs tied down most of the time. Had no problems except for departure from Gallup with full fuel and high temps for the last leg to E91. Climb rate was pretty weak.

The Best Western is a clean motel with the best restaurant in town. Sorry, I forgot the take a picture. The runway is cracked but quite serviceable. Once again, no 100LL.

John

Chinle

A better plan for high density altitude is to take minimum fuel into Chinle and fuel in Winslow on the way out. Roughly 1500' lower than Gallup.

Winslow

I really like the old Winslow (INW) airport. I stayed there last year. The people were friendly and helpful and there's a pretty good Mexican restaurant. I read somewhere that it was established by Charles Lindberg for early transcontinental flights. As I recall, the terrain drops off a little if you use Rwy 11 for takeoff.

After filling up in Gallup I had enough fuel to make a pass through Monument Valley on Thursday then on to Chandler, AZ yesterday. Just have to go early before it gets hot.

John

Chinle update

They've made some improvements at Chinle. The runway seemed to be in better condition this year and an electric gate has been installed. I was also met by a friendly policeman when I landed. There is a clean Portapotty on the ramp as well, all of which made me feel a lot better about parking my plane there for 5 nights. John

Winslow

It is correct that Charles Lindbergh was involved in the establishment of Winslow Airport. He was working for TWA and Winslow was an important part of the first transcontinental route structure. Ford Trimotors, then DC2 and DC3. Markings are still visible on the big hangar.

Back