What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Camping Cape Hatteras

CraigC

Well Known Member
Hello Doug, All,

I am taking a trip in June to Cape Hatteras and points east. Would anyone like a scouting report of the trip? The campground is right on the beach a mile away from the airport. Let me know.

Craig C

Craig, that is one trip I would like to make in the future. I just need to figure out how to fit my surfboard in a RV-8.

Yes

Give us a report!!
That is a flying trip to do!! You lucky guy!!!
I wish I could come along.

By all means post your trip report.
My wife has been after me for sometime to do that very trip. We maybe going to Savannah Ga. after the Oshkosh bash.
Thanks
Rich

Hatteras

Im too, going to check out the campground with the idea of surf. if memory serves me correct the surf gets good when the conditions are less then VFR.
Ive often wondered about racking a board under the cockpit.
Im currently scouting the greater Atlanta area,no surf yet but the flyings good.

6a flower child
13KN

I have seen canoes strapped on float planes before. Just don't know how well a surfboard would handle 200+mph. Pretty cool idea though.

Florida Boy trapped in Colorado

I know this is a seriously late reply, but for anyone interested, I'll add what little I know.

First off, yes, there is a nice campground right at off the end of Billy Mitchell airport on Hatteras Island. My wife and I have landed there, hiked over for tent camping and flown out the next day. It works just fine. It is about a one mile hike but beach people are generally very friendly and will almost always pick up a hitchhiker to shorten your trek. When we were there, they were doing the ole water conservation trick of turning off the hot water to the showers, so if this is a dealbreaker, be sure and ask when you call ahead to check availability. One huge plus is that the campground is only one dune line away from the ocean, so its a very short walk to get wet and salty. Be sure and look both ways since the beach here is open to driving and its is a very popular spot for surf fishermen. If you get caught short on supplies, there is a nice hunting/fishing store about 1000' from the south ramp called Frisco Rod and Gun where you should be able to find most anything to get you through your adventure (cold beer, sunblock, high power deer rifle, pretty much anything you could think of).

Don't miss a day trip over to Ocracoke Island. Its only 20 miles from Hatteras to Ocracoke and its a beautiful flight. When announcing on the unicom frequency, feel free to follow the local custom and ask Howard's Pub for a ride into town. They will drive out to the airport and bring you back in their open air electric vehicle (don't call it a golf car, they are touchy about that for some reason). If you like walking, its only about 3/4 of a mile. Howards offers good food and libations, so its a great first stop. From there, there are several vendors who can rent you a bike or golf car to drive around and explore the village, and when you are done, Howards will take you back to the airport if you like. As is the case with most service workers in tourists areas, the drivers appreciate modest tips.

For either destination, keep a few things in mind. Ocracoke, Hatteras, and First Flight up at Kitty Hawk are operated by the Park Service so they don't offer any services, including fuel, and night operations are not permitted. Fuel is available at Dare County Regional and Currituck County. Both are reasonable and friendly. Take mosquito repellent just in case the breeze falls out. Be sure to visit all three of the park service airports, they are a must for anyone passing through the area. Wash your aircraft well when you leave, including inside the engine compartment, underneath, etc. It will get salty.

Last edited:
cduster Thank You

Thank you..... Cduster

We (3-6) of us are looking to fly to FFA and camp overnight..... This is great information for us.

I had called FFA (National Parks Service) was told, 'camping is not allowed at FFA. but not enforced' Then was told 'no not ever, we will ask you to leave'.

I have called and currently waiting for answers about camping at KMQI and 7NC2.

I seriously doubt that you will ever get permission to even land at 7NC2. It was put there by a property developer who only lets people who own property in his development use the airport and even then, they can't park there...drop offs and pick ups only.

I'm 35 miles inland at 86NC and usually have camping spots available as well as 100LL, shower, and sometimes an apartment if that is a help to anyone. The phone number on the FAA data base is currently wrong, so its best to look us up at Craft Air Services on facebook for contact info prior to dropping in since it can get really wet here at times.

Thank you..... Cduster

We (3-6) of us are looking to fly to FFA and camp overnight..... This is great information for us.

I had called FFA (National Parks Service) was told, 'camping is not allowed at FFA. but not enforced' Then was told 'no not ever, we will ask you to leave'.

I have called and currently waiting for answers about camping at KMQI and 7NC2.

Don't miss a day trip over to Ocracoke Island. Its only 20 miles from Hatteras to Ocracoke and its a beautiful flight. When announcing on the unicom frequency, feel free to follow the local custom and ask Howard's Pub for a ride into town. They will drive out to the airport and bring you back in their open air electric vehicle (don't call it a golf car, they are touchy about that for some reason). If you like walking, its only about 3/4 of a mile. Howards offers good food and libations, so its a great first stop. From there, there are several vendors who can rent you a bike or golf car to drive around and explore the village, and when you are done, Howards will take you back to the airport if you like. As is the case with most service workers in tourists areas, the drivers appreciate modest tips.

WAIT!! Based on my trip to Ocracoke a couple of weeks ago, Howards Pub, and most island stores/shops/vendors are NOT fully open or staffed,..Howards could not come out to retrieve us. Beach is right next to the airport and fully open ( no facilities, beyond the Port-a-Jon at the airport), and the walk into town is only about 1/3 mile. Don't believe anything on a restaurant's or hotel's website...call AHEAD! Things are changing by the minute.

Ocracoke

Went to Ocracoke last Tuesday. Ate at Howard's Pub. Great eating experience.
But as mentioned, no pick up from them. They lost their electric car to hurricane Dorian.

Smacknally's was open also. We walked 6 miles that day. Many gift shops still closed and some gone for good.

Back