What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Fuel Flow on Climbout

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
Several times recently I?ve experienced a ?High Fuel Flow? (20.3 gph) warning on climb out. When I checked my instruments all other indicators are normal. I move my mixture back to where the alarm goes off (less than 18 gph) and then further reduce it to a more reasonable 13+ gph for climb out. Thorough out the rest of the flight everything remains normal. Any ideas?

Fuel Transducer

Where do you have your fuel transducer? It is supposed to be after the mechanical fuel pump. My neighbor installed his in his RV-7 before and when the auxiliary pump is turned on at take off, his readings are way high. Then back to normal when he turns off aux pump in cruise. So be careful about leaning on takeoff. You may have wrong readings.

I?m not sure where the fuel transducer is located but up until just recently my fuel flows have always peaked around 16 gph on takeoff. Since my engine is injected I do not use the aux pump on takeoff. I agree that having that on will give excessively high fuel flow readings because several times I have turned it on when changing tanks and forgotten to turn it off only to discover high readings and higher fuel burn/discharge.

With colder winter temps I don?t think 20 GPH is that unusual if you are at low altitude with the mixture full rich.
G

Unfortunately, I must also say this high fuel flow rate was first observe when the temperatures were considerably warmer. It?s not just a cold weather phenomena.

I don?t smell fuel so it?s probably not a leak but I sure would appreciate some ideas (experience) on how to better diagnose this concern.

Back