What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back up for IFR panel

74Papa

I'm wanting to go with Garmin G3X X 2 and 430w GPS. Was wondering everybody's idea as far as a back up system for IFR panel - primarily for attitude indicator.

Thanks

For the money, Tru Trak Gemini-Dynon pocket panel-dynon d6 or d10 have more than you need in one spot.

All of these would be good choices. MGL has some offerings as well but I am not familiar with them.

Trutrak Gemini PFD - 3 1/8" mounting, Very light weight, very shallow depth front to back, Hybrid Gyro/Velocity Vector based display, true air data based ALT and ASI ~$1300.00, recommend backup battery.

Dynon D10A - 3 1/8" mounting, Full Dynon ADAHRS, Dynon network capability, deep front to back ~$2200.00, recommend backup battery and remote compass.

Dynon D6 - 3 1/8" mounting, Full Dynon ADAHRS, no networking capability, deep front to back, ~$1600.00, recommend backup battery and remote compass.

Dynon D1 - Portable or 3 1/8" mounting, Dynon AHRS based display, GPS derived Ground Speed and GPS Altitude ~$1425.00

All of these would be good choices. MGL has some offerings as well but I am not familiar with them.

Trutrak Gemini PFD - 3 1/8" mounting, Very light weight, very shallow depth front to back, Hybrid Gyro/Velocity Vector based display, true air data based ALT and ASI ~$1300.00, recommend backup battery.

Dynon D10A - 3 1/8" mounting, Full Dynon ADAHRS, Dynon network capability, deep front to back ~$2200.00, recommend backup battery and remote compass.

Dynon D6 - 3 1/8" mounting, Full Dynon ADAHRS, no networking capability, deep front to back, ~$1600.00, recommend backup battery and remote compass.

Dynon D1 - Portable or 3 1/8" mounting, Dynon AHRS based display, GPS derived Ground Speed and GPS Altitude ~$1425.00

D10A - Remote compass not required if compass cal done carefully. The Network will only talk to Gen 1 Dynon equipment (EMS, Dynon Servos, HS-34, AP module). It does have an HSI page and when connected to a NAV/GPS with serial output provides a nice dedicated HSI with CRS, BRG, LOC and GS.

I would add that the Gemini is significantly less depth than the D6 or D10 and although I don't have the facts in front on me at the moment, lighter too.

This allows for installation where you don't have a foot of clear space behind the panel. Like in one of the corners, where the fuselage taper or ribs prevents installing any instrument that have any significant depth to them.

The Gemini, D6, and D10 are all good choices for a back up. I don't have any experience with the D1 one, so I'll reserve comment.

The D1 is an amazing little box, totally standalone, and while it is all GPS-based (no air data), could probably hep to save your bacon. I think it's biggest market impact could be in the certified world of single-vacuum-pump Cessnas, Pipers, Grummans, etc. : where you can't "install" any of the fancy experimental glass stuff - but you can mount it "temporarily".

I think RC Allen also has a little glass-based ADI (2-1/8"). I saw it at OSH, and it isn't cheap, but if you have to fit a small hole, it is another option.

Paul

I'm wanting to go with Garmin G3X X 2 and 430w GPS. Was wondering everybody's idea as far as a back up system for IFR panel - primarily for attitude indicator.

Thanks

NONE of these are any good if you don't have electrical backup! That includes spare batteries for the battery operated devices, and a redundent electrical system for the panel mounted devices......

NONE of these are any good if you don't have electrical backup! That includes spare batteries for the battery operated devices, and a redundent electrical system for the panel mounted devices......

For this reason, I have strong belief in steam gauges for the backup system.

I have the D6 as backup...and yes, it *does* have a backup battery built-in to the D6 itself, with 1-hour capacity.

A "redundant electrical system" would then make the battery backup a *third* power source, something I felt was unnecessary (but primary and backup EFISes are on different busses, one on the main and one on the essential).

I don't know about the Garmin, but I'm comfortable with a Skyview+backup battery as primary, D6+backup battery as secondary. YMMV.

My G3X panel has two battery buses. The primary takes care of everything along with the starter. The auxiliary bus takes care of the life saving essentials and it can run for well over an hour. All items that reside on both buses have dual power inputs for seamless transfer.

I do not consider the GTX23ES xponder, the GTN650, or the A210 COM essential life saving equipment. Those and things like them are the power hogs in a typical panel.

The G3X has built in GPS's that can be used for emergency guidance.

A typical electrical failure mode in these type aircraft will be a failure of the alternator. If this happens in my plane, I can shed load as needed to make the primary battery last for hours. If that does not do it I can fail down to the auxiliary battery for at least another hour. Plenty of time to sit down at the nearest airport with a suitable approach.

I think a bunch of time people over do it on electrical redundancy knowing full well that they only have one engine, one prop, one elevator pushrod, etc. etc. etc. any of which could ruin the day.....

I don't know about the Garmin, but I'm comfortable with a Skyview+backup battery as primary, D6+backup battery as secondary. YMMV.

Same here, both with back up battery and feel very comfortable. Also have the 496 to use the GPS derived attitude indication in a 'nothing else left scenario'.

Back