What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Sorting

kreidljj

Thought I would share the way that I sort and separate rivets. This morning I dumped a bunch of rivets, I already had a few strays laying on the floor. I made this ‘tool’ a while back from some scrap J-Channel. The J Channel is spaced just far enough apart that the rivet shank will fall through but not the head of the rivet. You dump rivets in the channel and rock it around to get the rivets to fall into the slot. Then you can look at the rivet tails on the bottom and see which ones are different. Makes sorting out the awe shoot moments a little less time consuming. - Jason

Attachments

• 4E8010C5-3C16-4BDF-B5CA-DEE46B519CAE.jpg
    4E8010C5-3C16-4BDF-B5CA-DEE46B519CAE.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 46A2F05A-FA0E-4F7C-913C-D5AC30F18413.jpg
    46A2F05A-FA0E-4F7C-913C-D5AC30F18413.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 282
  • EE7474A3-E70E-4BE0-80D4-FBC3088EAA45.jpg
    EE7474A3-E70E-4BE0-80D4-FBC3088EAA45.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 294
Hey, that's not too bad at all! I started with the idea that the best way to deal with mixed spilled rivets is a dustpan and an online order for new rivets. But perhaps not.

I'm still working out how to store my rivets. Strongly preferring closed containers like screw-top jars so far. Open trays seem like asking for trouble.

Water bottles

Hey, that's not too bad at all! I started with the idea that the best way to deal with mixed spilled rivets is a dustpan and an online order for new rivets. But perhaps not.

I'm still working out how to store my rivets. Strongly preferring closed containers like screw-top jars so far. Open trays seem like asking for trouble.

Tip from my Mentor Dave
Buy a case of small water bottles. Drink the water. It's good for you. Dry the bottles and label. Best and cheapest storage. Even if you drop one, almost nothing spills.

Riveting... grab a few paper bowls. Scribble the size inbthe bottom. Shake a few in the bowl and go.

For rivet storage, I bought a whole bunch of these and drank them. The bottles are glass with wide mouths at the top and metal lids. The beverage wasn’t great but the bottles are perfect for rivets.

Back