What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foam Panel Mockup Is Worth It

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The foam panel mockup has really worked out well. The foam models of the avionics give you a pretty good idea where things will fit. But, until the actual pieces are mounted, it's best to not cut any aluminum.

As you can see, I had to move my primary EFIS toward the center so the switches would fit on the left. It's important to make sure the landscape on the front and back both work. Just because stuff looks good up front, doesn't mean it will fit in the rear. The ignition switch is a big mother out back. Where I originally planned to put it, interfered with the frame in the back, so that removing it for maintenance or whatever would have been a pita. So, I moved it right. Future cursing averted.

Attachments

• Panel Mockup Front w:Real Switches.jpg
    Panel Mockup Front w:Real Switches.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Panel Mockup Rear w:Real Switches.jpg
    Panel Mockup Rear w:Real Switches.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 154
Ignition switch

Question: is there a reason for you ignition switch orientation? Seems the key is horizontal when off and vertical in normal flight.

Question: is there a reason for you ignition switch orientation? Seems the key is horizontal when off and vertical in normal flight.

My left hand doesn't turn clockwise very well past 2 o'clock. So, with the switch this way, I only have to move it to about 1 o' clock to engage starter.

Last edited:
I borrowed someone else's idea and used a piece of hardware store plexiglass plus foam blocks for initial panel/sub-panel layouts. The ribs are cleco'd to a piece of cardboard simulating the firewall. The cardboard is stapled to a Masonite base so the unit could be moved around.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 108
Back