What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size doesn't matter?show off your...

aarvig

Well Known Member
SHOP! As my project has progressed, I have added kids to our home (3) and all the trappings that go with them. When I first started my tail kit I had a 22X22 foot shop. After I began running out of room in the garage, I had to down size my shop to a 19 X 14 foot side load garage. Well, the kids get bigger, bikes all over, cars running out of room, lawn mowers, snowblowers and a boat and what do you know, there is no room for my plane! Once again it gets moved. To an even smaller area of the house. The basement utility room. Just enough room to GET ER DONE.
8X22 feet long. It gets tight but its enough to build two wings. Did I mention that there is all of our home storage in there too? Big pluses of building inside…its climate controlled. Wouldn't change it for the world, although some sound proofing might help improve those late night drilling sessions…:D
Another reason I wanted to show these pic's is that so people wondering just how much space is needed to build a plane…well my current set up is smaller than a one car garage and I am hoping to be able to finish the plane to final assembly stages in this room.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Last edited:
Funny...

I think you need more clecos. :)

I had that exact thought tonight?but then I said?."NO, I have to stop, I have to get control of all this cleco craziness in my life?" otherwise next thing you know, I'll be buying another thousand.

In all seriousness, I bought a ton of them knowing I wanted to build both wings at the same time.
And, NO, building both is not faster.:D

Here is mine. A 2 car garage. It gets very cluttered and dirty very fast. I would have to be a much cleaner and efficient worker to succeed in your shop! Its fun to look back at build photos. I cant believe my wings are sitting in my wing stand now. Eating that elephant, one bite at a time I guess.

I won't show pics of my one-car garage and second bedroom (read: workshop). It's *cramped*. But, hey, whatever works. And you can never have enough clecos. Only when a major part, like the wing, looks like a porcupine do you have enough. :D

I built the garage to build the plane in!

24' x 28' and I fitted the wings on inside!

P4060385.JPG

IMG_0314_1_.JPG

:cool: CJ

Last edited:
No pics, but my RV-10 shop is 18x11---currently working on the doors. It can be frustrating at times, but it is certainly doable.

David

SHOP! As my project has progressed, I have added kids to our home (3) and all the trappings that go with them. When I first started my tail kit I had a 22X22 foot shop. After I began running out of room in the garage, I had to down size my shop to a 19 X 14 foot side load garage. Well, the kids get bigger, bikes all over, cars running out of room, lawn mowers, snowblowers and a boat and what do you know, there is no room for my plane! Once again it gets moved. To an even smaller area of the house. The basement utility room. Just enough room to GET ER DONE.
8X22 feet long. It gets tight but its enough to build two wings. Did I mention that there is all of our home storage in there too? Big pluses of building inside?its climate controlled. Wouldn't change it for the world, although some sound proofing might help improve those late night drilling sessions?:D
Another reason I wanted to show these pic's is that so people wondering just how much space is needed to build a plane?well my current set up is smaller than a one car garage and I am hoping to be able to finish the plane to final assembly stages in this room.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Looking GREAT Aaron!!!

Those wing stands look a little shoddy though... ;)

looking good!

looking great buddy!

A friend of mine told me my shop a 2 car garage that is one car wide and 2 cars deep 16 X 32 was to small. After seeing these pics i feel like i have enough room to add an RV3 in the corner! :D

One of my favorite shops belonged to a friend that built a slow build -6. Shortly after starting his wife wanted the garage back to keep the cars in, go figure. So he built a very nice guest house in the back yard. I remember visiting shortly before he finished the -6 and it was in the living room with wings and engine on sitting on finished hardwood floors under a ceiling with nice crown moulding with the fire place burning and a view out of the extra wide triple doors of the back yard. I wish I had taken a picture.

Looking GREAT Aaron!!!

Those wing stands look a little shoddy though... ;)

LOL. Yeah I got them from some builder that really beat the heck out of them yanking the wings on and off ;)

In all seriousness, they are awesome stands! They work well and hold the wing perfectly level. All I have to do is put a level on the wing, work the screw jacks until the bubble is centered on both sides and I have a twist free wing. I just plumb bob'd one of them the other day and it is DEAD ON. Thanks Peter!

Tight...

It does get frustrating at times... :roll eyes:
The fuselage takes almost all available length.
I move it left or right depending on which side I'm working.
Crouching and passing underneath to the other side works also... lol

It's 9 X 19 feet or 2.8 X 5.8 meters whichever you prefer.
IMG_2137.jpg

Back