What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you make radio calls even if you are the only one in the traffic pattern?

Do you make radio calls even if you are the only one in the traffic pattern?

• Yes

Votes: 287 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
"any traffic in the pattern please advise"

Use it on your next BFR and see the response you get from your instructor.

If someone used it with me giving them a flight review I would politely ask them to look up the phrase in the AIM. I would then explain how it is a time soak of radio time, and if they really thought asking someone who has no intentions of replying is really going to get them to reply? If they intend to reply they will quickly get a reply, unless they use the phrase, then they will get it later!

I would then ask "What is this BFR thing you are asking for"?

Mark

I believe the phrase came from the days of a lot of commuter airline traffic at non towered airports. A lot of time crews don't monitor Unicom on the second radio far enough out to get the traffic flow. Comes back to the previous opinion that I agree with of demanding to know what is going on the second you jump on the frequency, instead of respectfully monitoring to figure it out first.

Happens often

Just a bit off topic. We have an area over LAX that VFR aircraft can fly over. Communication is not mandatory but reccomended. It is quiet when you enter but once a position report is made you always hear, I am at the same location, same altitude!!!.

My "favorite" response when I make a report in this area is "Me too!"

Time to Airport

I used to only give distance from the airport, 5 miles etc. Now flying an RV, I have moved the distance out to the 9 or 10 mile range as well as giving time till I get to the airport. 2 minutes out 3 minutes, etc to add to the call so they will know I am a fast moving aircraft. My initial call is usually something like this... RV 42AH is 10 miles north of XXX ETA 3.5 minutes, will be entering left downwind for XX. Right wrong or whatever, thats what I announce.

You listen for others when they make their position reports... Then you know. For you to jump on frequency and essentially "demand" that others make a position report for your benefit is at best, rude. The other people may have just made their position reports 5 seconds before you joined the party, but now have to repeat them just for you?

Now, If you are on the 45 for the downwind, and some other guy is closed traffic turning downwind ( potential conflict), he will most certainly respond to your position report without the redundant "any other traffic..." Further, if another guy is on short final, what value is HIS report to you? He'll be at the gas pumps before you turn final. The point is, if we all make our position reports, it will become obvious what the traffic situation looks like. The demand to advise from every newcomer is redundant and clogs up the frequency.

To be clear, I am not demanding anything. I listen prior to approaching the airport, make all my positions reports whether or not I think there is traffic and do my part to promote safety as far as position reports go. I simply view that as the minimum requirement expected of me as a PIC. If another pilot wishes to offer his position reports to our mutual benefit, then I appreciate that and call it a day.

Yep, on first (and second) read, it appeared you were defending the "any other traffic...." position. I see that you broke that chain and were in fact answering the OP.

Chalk it up to another internet miscommunication...

Another thing I Always do, and it confuses me when others don't, is say the airport again at the end of the transmission.

XYZ, experimental 123 left downwind 36 XYZ. I often find I have a hard time either hearing, or comprehending the first word of a Unicom call( sometimes people speak before pressing xmit, or push the mic closer as they transmit). If they announce where I am in the pattern I can verify or rule out a threat if they say the airport name again at the end. If they don't say it there is a time of concern while asking what airport again.

Mark

Yes to Axel's question, much as Steve Smith stated. Typically the standard traffic positions, and clear of the runway. IMHO (and per my training) its important to listen to calls from other pilots and build a mental picture of the environment (build your Situational Awareness...SA), and make clear, concise calls to help other pilots build their SA. KISS.

We had the opportunity to do this in a 737 at work a few weeks ago, landing in Panama City, FL after the tower had closed for the night (long day!). We used all the standard phraseology...and did not ask for "anyone in the traffic pattern, please advise". ;)

So Axel...here it is Monday. Are you going to reveal the Easter Egg? :D

Cheers,
Bob

I must say that I like the idea of adding speed or eta to the initial position call to give people a better idea of where to be looking with elapsed time...probably not necessary once you announce turning 45 at pattern speeds. Like N42AH, my aircoupe calls were 5 miles out, my RV calls are 10 miles out to give me a similar amount of time, but someone who only knows Cessna 150 speeds might be taken by surprise. This is one case where a slight deviation from AIM I think would be helpful.

I also agree with the request that VFR position reports are not made in "IFR speak". When I was a student, the tower (not my home field) called traffic "at the missed". That is about the most useless position report for a VFR pilot ever, student or not and I let the tower know I had no idea where to look for the traffic.

"Any traffic in the pattern, please advise?" I don't normally use this, but I have, I certainly do not understand the vitriol fervor against it either??? why does this hurt you guys so much? It is a valid question when arriving to an airport in which you've not heard any radio traffic and it is proactive vice reactive. The pilot is asking for other pilots to roger up so they can build SA. It is rude to call this rude. The guy is working to avoid a conflict which is actually very polite IMHO.

Do you guys actually get angry when you hear this? Are you really wound so tight it upsets you? I hope not, cause if so, you worry me more.

I've heard this call many times, and I'll answer with my location in the pattern and surprizingly not once has it hurt me to comply. Often, the gal in the FBO will answer with prevailing winds making it easier to decide which runway to use in the first place.

Come to think of it, I kinda like it, and will use it more often now

It doesn't hurt me to hear it, but what the other guy tells me is: "I'm too lazy to listen in on the party and figure out whats happening before I get to the pattern, so I expect everyone else to accommodate my needs..."

My personal reaction is to remain silent and keep him guessing until I make the standard calls.

I DID hear the "Jump Base" control GO OFF on one of their jump pilots for doing it, however. In fact, the ensuing broadcast argument ended with the demand that the pilot land immediately and bring the airplane keys to the office - his services were no longer required.

"Any traffic in the pattern, please advise"

There are times that this can actually be an advantage. If you are flying into a non-towered airport with no AWOS you won't know which runway to use. If your transmission to the FBO for an airport advisory is unanswered, and no one is reporting their position in the pattern, then "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise" might get someone to respond with a position and the runway that is being used.

I always report crosswind, downwind, base, final, and clearing the runway, even if I (think) I am the only one in the pattern. I start and end with the airport name. I state full stop or touch-and-go. And even then, if I hear "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise" I will respond again.

If all that is too much information for some people, then so be it. In my mind it's all about safety. The better the chance of someone knowing where I am, the better the chance I won't end up in a pile of metal on the ground from a mid-air in the pattern...

If you really want to contribute to safety around an airport............

Turn on your landing light at least 10 miles out. And listen on the radio 30+ miles out.
Say you are an RV and give only the last two digits. Or your color. And, yes... the airport name again at the end.

If you still don't know the active by now, then ask (blind) for "airport advisory please". This is the polite way to arrive at a non towered airport...... of which there are about to be many more.

LANDING LIGHTS ON!!!!!

There are times that this can actually be an advantage. If you are flying into a non-towered airport with no AWOS you won't know which runway to use. If your transmission to the FBO for an airport advisory is unanswered, and no one is reporting their position in the pattern, then "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise" might get someone to respond with a position and the runway that is being used.

I always report crosswind, downwind, base, final, and clearing the runway, even if I (think) I am the only one in the pattern. I start and end with the airport name. I state full stop or touch-and-go. And even then, if I hear "Any traffic in the pattern, please advise" I will respond again.

If all that is too much information for some people, then so be it. In my mind it's all about safety. The better the chance of someone knowing where I am, the better the chance I won't end up in a pile of metal on the ground from a mid-air in the pattern...

There are airplanes flying that do not have radios. There are also aircraft that are on an incorrect frequency or that have the radio volume turned down or too low to hear. You are in a visual environment and separation is required to be by visual clues. The radio is only a tool to help you find the other aircraft. The other guy could have an electrical failure with no radio.

The FAA says that you should not use the phrase in the AIM. It is pretty much SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) to report position when someone else reports position without having to ask.

Yes it is a big irritation to me hearing people make the call "...any traffic please advise." It is also a big irritant hearing people say "...taking the active." I have bitten my tongue more than once and not asked "Where are you taking it?"

I Announce 5-10 miles out, entering DW, base, final, and clear of RW. The latter if someone is actually around.

I fly out of a class E airport and I was taught to use the phrase "xxx traffic please advise" and also to start and finish with airport name. xxx, Cessna N12345, departing 18, xxx traffic please advise, xxx. 95 % of the time no one is listening.

I have only been flying for 3yrs and I thought that once I started flying I would leave all the idiots on the ground in cars, but nope they are in planes as well. People flying backwards in the pattern, not using radios (or not having a radio, I know this is legal), flying over the airport at pattern alt but not landing at the airport, and the list goes on and on. I am particularly concerned on no winds days. Supposed to TO/land 18, but who knows. Or someone practicing landings to a full stop, then turning around on the RW and doing a short field Take off in the opposite direction and not talking.

So I guess I will keep irritating some people, but hopefully it will keep me from being killed one day.

I Announce 5-10 miles out, entering DW, base, final, and clear of RW. The latter if someone is actually around.

I fly out of a class E airport and I was taught to use the phrase "xxx traffic please advise" and also to start and finish with airport name. xxx, Cessna N12345, departing 18, xxx traffic please advise, xxx. 95 % of the time no one is listening.

I have only been flying for 3yrs and I thought that once I started flying I would leave all the idiots on the ground in cars, but nope they are in planes as well. People flying backwards in the pattern, not using radios (or not having a radio, I know this is legal), flying over the airport at pattern alt but not landing at the airport, and the list goes on and on. I am particularly concerned on no winds days. Supposed to TO/land 18, but who knows. Or someone practicing landings to a full stop, then turning around on the RW and doing a short field Take off in the opposite direction and not talking.

So I guess I will keep irritating some people, but hopefully it will keep me from being killed one day.

Around my part of the country if somebody calls "traffic please advise" it is taken to mean "y'all git out of the way, here I come".

Makes you sound like a dork, and I don't reply until it's time for my normal radio call unless there is the real chance of traffic conflict with the dork.

Around my part of the country if somebody calls "traffic please advise" it is taken to mean "y'all git out of the way, here I come".

Makes you sound like a dork, and I don't reply until it's time for my normal radio call unless there is the real chance of traffic conflict with the dork.

Tisk, tisk... no name calling. Setting a bad example.

Sam:

I think Great Minds Think alike. Thank you for being more polite than I would have been.

I fly a lot at an non-towered airport where I tow gliders, and there is a very busy skydiving operation, as well as a fair amount of other traffic on weekends. The skydive plane regularly asks for "traffic please advise" for safety reasons, and because he usually has just switched frequencies from ATC to the airport unicom, as he is diving down into the pattern. He also asks also (and waits for either a response or no) before departing, usually on the opposite runway from the regular active (since they are located at the north end). This practice creates a much safer operations for everyone, and while, as you say, it does mean "y'all git out the way, here I come" I would rather have that than him not asking!!

"IFR Speak"

...I also agree with the request that VFR position reports are not made in "IFR speak". When I was a student, the tower (not my home field) called traffic "at the missed". That is about the most useless position report for a VFR pilot ever, student or not and I let the tower know I had no idea where to look for the traffic.

At our non-towered, but quite busy airport we used to hear "Cessna XYZ, practice VOR approach." And that was all. And I heard it several times on several different days.

Before my Instrument Student days, I thought, "What in the world does that mean?"

Still, for even an Instrument pilot without approach charts for our airport, one could only guess where that pilot was.

It would have been much better for the pilot to say, "Cessna XYZ, practice VOR approach Runway one-eight, 5 miles north, descending from 2,400, with low pass and departure to the south." Or something like that. [Don't beat me up, I never finished the instrument ticket and it's been over 15 years since I've flown an instrument approach.]

On my initial solo pattern as a student, I was on downwind just about ready to drop the flaps when I hear a King Air call: "at the outer marker, inbound..." for MY runway.

I had NO idea where that was, nor how much time I had to land. So I broke out of the pattern and flew around for a while until he cleared.

As I gain more experience, I guess I find it odd that there is a lot of talking on the radio, but not much communication. That?s why I like the military's almost fanatical devotion to the "less is more" approach... Succinct, standardized, no BS.

Sam:

I think Great Minds Think alike. Thank you for being more polite than I would have been.

and you guys have a problem with other people being rude! Pot, meet kettle...

break break

Agree with Mike, comm brevity is helpful. Less talk, more look and much more THINK.

Traffic in the pattern

I've heard the phrase " any traffic in the pattern please advise" a number of times and I don't interpret it like some of you have stated above. I appreciate the fact that the guy is in the pattern and HOWEVER ADMITS that he does not see me for whatever reason. That gives me the chance to be sure he does. I have no objection to the phrase and have never interpreted it to mean "git" out of the way.

I don't ignore those pilots calling ATITAPA (I make note of their presence), but I don't respond either. If they just wait about 15 seconds, they'll hear me make a position report that I would have made whether they requested a roll call of all pilots in the area or not. Any pilot oughta know approximately which way and how hard the wind is blowing. If you hear nothing but silence, keep your eyes open and do as you please. There's no such thing as an "active" runway at an uncontrolled field...regardless of what pilots may have been using for most of the day. I chuckle to myself when there's no wind and nobody in the pattern, and when making a call for a runway opposite to that which has been used for most of the day, I get an indignant call from someone who just took off and is departing the area telling me that runway XX is "in use". And regarding "in use" runways, upon hearing no radio activity, there's nothing wrong with entering a "downwind" for the runway you thought you'd be using, then checking the sock and turning x-wind for the other runway if you don't like what you see. Your "downwind" just becomes an upwind.

Last edited:
I must really be a dork, because...

Before I take the active, I lock my brake and make a 360? clearing turn, checking the pattern for anyone that is NORDO, or didn't announce their position. That must really **** some people off that are behind me... :rolleyes:

I started doing that because one day I completed my run-up, and taxied to the runway, only to be screamed at by a Cherokee on a 1/4 mile final. He hadn't said a word in the pattern. And of course I knew I was on the correct frequency because I could hear him screaming!!! :D

I fly a lot at an non-towered airport where I tow gliders, and there is a very busy skydiving operation, as well as a fair amount of other traffic on weekends. The skydive plane regularly asks for "traffic please advise" for safety reasons, and because he usually has just switched frequencies from ATC to the airport unicom, as he is diving down into the pattern. He also asks also (and waits for either a response or no) before departing, usually on the opposite runway from the regular active (since they are located at the north end). This practice creates a much safer operations for everyone, and while, as you say, it does mean "y'all git out the way, here I come" I would rather have that than him not asking!!

Let me make sure I got this right.....

You are comfortable with this sky dive pilot because:

1) He uses non-standard and non-AIM approved radio communications

2) He dive bombs into the pattern in clear violation of standard and common-sense procedure

3) He routinely takes off against the established traffic pattern

4) You don't mind him saying "y'all git out of my way, here I come"

Wow........

Agree with Mike, comm brevity is helpful. Less talk, more look and much more THINK.

You have very precisely stated my point. Stating "any traffic please advise" is more talk, less look, and much less thinking.

And makes the pilot sound like a dork. :)

Last edited:
I don't ignore those pilots calling ATITAPA (I make note of their presence), but I don't respond either. If they just wait about 15 seconds, they'll hear me make a position report that I would have made whether they requested a roll call of all pilots in the area or not. Any pilot oughta know approximately which way and how hard the wind is blowing. If you hear nothing but silence, keep your eyes open and do as you please. There's no such thing as an "active" runway at an uncontrolled field...regardless of what pilots may have been using for most of the day. I chuckle to myself when there's no wind and nobody in the pattern, and when making a call for a runway opposite to that which has been used for most of the day, I get an indignant call from someone who just took off and is departing the area telling me that runway XX is "in use". And regarding "in use" runways, upon hearing no radio activity, there's nothing wrong with entering a "downwind" for the runway you thought you'd be using, then checking the sock and turning x-wind for the other runway if you don't like what you see. Your "downwind" just becomes an upwind.

This becomes a different issue when both patterns are on the same side of the runway.

Point to Ponder

First point to ponder [factual information]: The NTSB estimated GA flew 21,688,000 hours in 2010. The 2011 Nall Report showed 4 mid-air collisions that year, 3 of which were fatal. That works out to one operation in 5,422,000 hours or a rate of .018 per 100,000 flying hours. Pilot's participating in the system appear to be doing a reasonable job of avoiding mid-air collisions.

Second point to ponder [technique only] "Fighter pilot 101": Look out is everything. Listening is always more important than talking. If you do talk, clear, concise, and correct only--if in doubt, don't say it. Assume everyone is trying to kill you at all times; expect "non-standard," it's normal. RV's have outstanding visibility and maneuverability--that's a big advantage in and around the traffic pattern.

Third point to ponder [technique only]: It's possible to "DR" a position report (i.e., extrapolate position from a single radio call, nothing to do with our gracious web master!). If traffic is entering mid-field downwind, I'd expect it to be turning base 30-45 seconds later and final about 30-45 seconds after that. I'd base my initial visual scan on my estimate of where I'd expect the traffic to be. I would never assume anything, until I'm tally, at which point what I see overrides what I hear. I'm always willing to give up the right-of-way or my order in sequence (unless I have an emergency that makes landing now imperative).

It's easy to be critical of mistakes or techniques, it's also easy to make 'em.

Fly safe,

Vac

Before I take the active, I lock my brake and make a 360? clearing turn, checking the pattern for anyone that is NORDO, or didn't announce their position. That must really **** some people off that are behind me... :rolleyes:

I started doing that because one day I completed my run-up, and taxied to the runway, only to be screamed at by a Cherokee on a 1/4 mile final. He hadn't said a word in the pattern. And of course I knew I was on the correct frequency because I could hear him screaming!!! :D

I don't agree with a 360 for two reasons.... 1. It takes more than a glance to see an aircraft in the air. 2. Any other plane near you gets blasted.

Pull up to the hold bars, turn toward the approaching traffic and LOOK for 5 seconds before you enter the runway.

"Any traffic in the pattern, please advise?" I don't normally use this, but I have, I certainly do not understand the vitriol fervor against it either??? why does this hurt you guys so much? It is a valid question when arriving to an airport in which you've not heard any radio traffic and it is proactive vice reactive. The pilot is asking for other pilots to roger up so they can build SA. It is rude to call this rude. The guy is working to avoid a conflict which is actually very polite IMHO.

Do you guys actually get angry when you hear this? Are you really wound so tight it upsets you? I hope not, cause if so, you worry me more.

I've heard this call many times, and I'll answer with my location in the pattern and surprizingly not once has it hurt me to comply. Often, the gal in the FBO will answer with prevailing winds making it easier to decide which runway to use in the first place.

Come to think of it, I kinda like it, and will use it more often now

So you intend to violate the AIM? They found it to be enough of a problem to now (it didn't used to be in there) actively prohibit it. I have known pilots who have gone through enforcement actions in the past for disregarding the AIM. they wrote them for a reason.

I guess your attitude speaks volumes, and no amount of reason will persuade you to follow the rules.

I think that is what gets folks wound up.

Mark

Last edited:
This becomes a different issue when both patterns are on the same side of the runway.

And the approaching pilot should have a clue about that as well. I don't think it's unreasonable for an approaching pilot to listen to the CTAF for at least 2 minutes before entering the pattern. Again, if you hear nothing, keep your eyes open, make your position calls for whatever runway you feel is proper and do as you please. Still no such thing as an "active" runway at an airport with right and left traffic when there is nobody in the pattern. Is the slacker in the FBO who may or may not respond on UNICOM supposed to keep up with which runway the NORDO Cub in the pattern is using? Eyes open, ears open, and a little brain activity is what it's about. But for anyone who thinks ATITAPA "saves lives", then you're going to keep doing it anyway. I'll keep taking a mental note of you, and I'll keep with my lack of direct response to your roll call request.

Last edited:
I'm going to throw a grenede here.

How many people here that are quoting exactly what language the AIM states that should be used when on the CTAF have ever used the frequency to have a conversation with a buddy? If we are going to quote the exact examples in the AIM then we should only use air-to-air frequencies to ever say anything else! Note: 123.45 is not an air-to-air frequency over the continental US.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I guess I'm a product of the environment. Here in CA there are many days when the UNICOM frequency is non-stop busy, with transmissions from multiple airports audible. So needlessly long transmissions invariably block other calls. That, and only that, is what I dislike. If it's quiet, I don't care if they talk about the hamburgers on the field. But quiet is the exception around here.

I'm going to throw a grenede here.

How many people here that are quoting exactly what language the AIM states that should be used when on the CTAF have ever used the frequency to have a conversation with a buddy? If we are going to quote the exact examples in the AIM then we should only use air-to-air frequencies to ever say anything else! Note: 123.45 is not an air-to-air frequency over the continental US.

Just my two cents.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

OK all, this got out of hand. It was a simple question. Moderator please close this thread. Thank you!

Here is the reason for the post. I almost lost my life on Saturday.

At approximately 1320 Pacific Standard Time on 30 March 2013, I was on my landing roll out on runway 15 when an unannounced aircraft attempted to land opposite direction on runway 33. On the go-around the aircraft flew over my canopy at about 50 ft. He did not even step to one side of the runway.

That was my 3rd flight of the day for a total of 2.5 hrs. I was returning from formation practice in SoCal. The weather was VFR and it was bumpy as it is on most days around the desert. I was on flight-following and cancelled 16.6 nm out from my home airport (uncontrolled field). At that time I called on 122.8, XYZ traffic experimental XXX, single RV-4, 16 miles to the SE, full stop, XYZ traffic. Performed my landing checks (all lights on, etc.) My plan (in my head) was for an over-head recovery to runway 33 (calm wind runway). I got wind advisory on 4 different times prior to joining the pattern, because the winds are unpredictable during those types of conditions at my home field. I called again at 8 miles and at 4 miles with the same call. I called when established on downwind, base and final. The last wind check indicated 150@5. I usually would have done the overhead for 33 as I planned in my head but decided not to because I was 2.5 hrs into my 3rd flight, one of them a formation flight, I was in a tailwheel aircraft, I spent all day moving to a different hangar the previous day and fatigue was starting to set in. So risk management wise, it was the right call for me.

On my landing roll-out, as I dropped my tail, I saw something white disappear under my nose. Hum that was weird! Let me move my nose to the right and check it out. As I did that my brain recognized that in front of me was an aircraft on the flare on the same runway and in the opposite direction. I started screaming go around, aircraft landing at XYX field go around, there is an aircraft on the runway. I then saw the aircraft start to climb and it flew above my canopy at approx 50 ft. I looked up and was so shaken, I could not remember the N number. Instead of fixating on the aircraft above me, I slowed down mine and retained control. I made 3 calls requesting an N number and no joy. In my anger, for almost losing my life, I moved my aircraft around to see what he was doing and entertained the thought of taking off again and following him in order to get the N number. On my 4th call the pilot of the other aircraft (high wing plane) gave me the N number. I asked him, to meet me at the fuel farm to discuss what happened.
I called cleared of the runway and taxiing to fuel farm.

As I shut down the engine this rush of adrenaline and rage came over me. Now I had to speak with this individual and I was not happy. I sat in the cockpit for a few minutes to calm down and to think how I would address this individual. I watched him land and started pumping gas as he taxied in. He taxied over and shut down. I could not look at him, I just kept pumping gas until he came up to me. As I sat in the cockpit waiting for him and calming down, I came up with my first question I would ask. This is what I asked him right off the bat.

How do you think we should handle this situation?

His response; what do you mean? I did not do anything wrong. It is suggested by AIMs that I call on the radio at uncontrolled fields, it is not required. I don't have to.

I was as calm as I was going to be until he replied with that. My response was ?just because it is recommended does not mean you can be stupid about it and kill me. If you choose to kill yourself, have at it. But you don?t kill me too?. I then continue to tell him my wife would be at the airport in a few minutes and what would she have done when she started looking for me and she saw two airplanes on the runway on top of each other and one of them was her husband.

His reply was that he did not know.

I kept pumping gas and tried to calm down again. My next series of questions were to identify how this happen.

Some facts:
-He was also on flight following and knew I was landing at my home field.
-He told me he had me on TCAS via his G1000.
-He was not a local guy.
-He told me that his radio was not turned up, but I never heard him make make a call either.
-After I asked him if he check the winds he told me yes. Well how did you do that if your radio volume was down???????? Ohhhhhh, I have weather on my G1000.
-He did not get AWOS or flew over the field to check winds.
-He assumed I was going to take 33 because of the direction I was arriving from.
-He did not hear me scream go around.
-He did not have any strobes on or landing lights.
-He had radios but chose not to use them.

I told him that we both needed to learn something from this situation. He maintained that he did nothing wrong until I told him if we are not learning from this situation, then the FAA FAST team would be involved. Once I said that, the conversation changed and he said he learned something and apologized. I don?t know what it was but I left it at that. I told him I was going to push my plane back, go home and drink a beer. And to have a good day. He replied with a thank you.

My wife showed up about 3 minutes later to our new hangar. She knew immediately something was not right. So I told her the story.

Today, I briefed it during our monthly safety stand down and brought some awareness.

In my job, as I perform flight test, we are constantly mitigating high risk situations. We have methods that I take home and use even when I am changing a light bulb. I certainly used them as I fly my RV. One of those methods was used when I chose to take runway 15 due to the factors mentioned above. I also mitigated risk by announcing where I was, my intensions, turned all my lights on. I mitigated risk of losing control on the ground during the roll out by not fixating on the aircraft that flew above me even though I wanted his N Number. However, a lot of that was perceived mitigation on my part. When it came down to it, the residual risk was the same as if I have not done anything due to the fact that I can?t control the other guy or his actions. Maybe he saw my landing/strobe lights during the flare and that save my bacon. Maybe not.

-I will continue to make my calls every single time.
-I will implement some of the suggestions mentioned on this thread like the one stating how long prior to arriving at the airport.
-I will continue to scan for traffic.
-One thing I need to verify is if my traffic advisory system was Far/Near/Off. I don?t remember it going off during the landing pattern.
-I will no longer assume that the runway is mine and I have landing priority when I am on short final.
-I will no longer assume no calls=no additional aircraft.
-I will do a self assessment and see where I am becoming complacent with aviation, I know that all aircraft don?t have radios and that it is only recommended to call. Why did I blow that one??????

I am sure that I have learned other things. I have not flown since Saturday but you bet I will be more vigilant and will implement some changes.
You can debate all you want about what is right/wrong, what makes you angry or what you would do if someone does this and that. At the end of the day, if you come home to your family alive, that was a great day. And something to be thankful for???

Be safe out there.

How could this happen on a 7000 foot runway? Were both of you landing long?

I am glad you are home and safe.

OK all, this got out of hand. It was a simple question. Moderator please close this thread. Thank you!

Be safe out there.

A thread on VAF get out of hand:rolleyes:

Glad you are safe, hope you had that beer, and a couple more just in case.

As per your request, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back