What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAR violations on video

n82rb

Well Known Member
I just watched the video on today's front page. First, I know the video was not shot in the US. Second, I do not want to start a discussion about what is safe/unsafe flying. What I want to comment on is people putting things on you tube that can come back to haunt them. If that video had been shot in the US it could have been called exhibit A for the prosecution. The FAA DOES watch you tube. at 2:40 in the video, the pass over the edge of the water, I counted 4 or 5 boats in the water. Had this been a US pilot just putting that on you tube could have resulted in a violation by the FAA. It would be hard to dispute that he was 500 Ft from any person place or vessel. Again, I do not want to call out any pilot, I just want people to think before they post video's of their flying for the world (and the FAA) to see.

bob burns
N82Rb RV-4

Violations

I have a friend who buzzed some people on a lake, got on youtube, FAA got on him. Just think before posting that roll, hammerhead or loop..no parachute...just saying.
I'm also FAA Safety Counselor.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I didn't watch every single second of that clip this mornng. You are absolutely correct. The low fly over slipped past me.

100% my fault for putting on the front page. It has been removed.

V/r,
dr

Along the same lines, please be careful about posting "Need ride to xyz. I'll pay for the gas." FAA is sensitive to the topic of E-AB aircraft being used for compensation (free gas is compensation).

Along the same lines, please be careful about posting "Need ride to xyz. I'll pay for the gas." FAA is sensitive to the topic of E-AB aircraft being used for compensation (free gas is compensation).

Part 61.113 (c) "A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees."

Supposing this definition carries over to EAB...Is this saying that if the expenses involve more than fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees, you can pay less than pro rata share? For example, my RV8 costs me about 100$ (fuel, oil, hangar, insurance) per hour to operate with only 50 of that being fuel. Would someone be able to pay for all of the gas? Any FAA gurus around here?

If FAA is sitting watching Youtube waiting to bust people that are getting gas paid then I think we have too many FAA people and [ed. Politics removed. dr]. Maybe in doing so they can preserve some essential services.

Last edited by a moderator:
It means you cannot count insurance, hangar, engine overhaul reserves, etc. You can split the cost of gas and parking.
In some ways this is very unfair to owners since rental costs, which you can share, have all these other costs built into the rental fee, but that's what it says.

Good friends may buy you a very nice dinner, but only because they like you, not because you have an airplane!

Having previously worked for a quasi government entity, I can tell you that no amount of money is too much to spend, to make sure the rules are obeyed!
Seriously, the FAA gets complaints from part 135 air taxi operators about unfair competition from part 91 operators. That's the reason for the rule.

I agree with the above quote. But I also agree with the FAA that those who hold themselves out to the public for transportation should be held to higher standards, e.g., part 135, so this is a somewhat gray area.

FAA Violations

Many,many years ago an FAA employee was cited for low flying. He brought his son, lets say age 8 at the time, to the hearing. Mr FAA had a convincing story and the violation was dismissed. A friendly chat followed:
FSDO inspector to young man-do you fly with your dad
Young man-yes
FSDO-what do you like about flying
Young man- mostly I like standing up on the seat while my dad does loops.
FSDO inspector to pilot #####I knew you were guilty you ###

Chutes

The Brits for years didn't believe in chutes. The late Neal Williams broke the lower spar fitting on a Zlin, rolled the airplane inverted and got the wing more or less back in place. Flew the pattern inverted and at a very low altitude snap rolled the airplane upright and crashed on the runway, no injuries.

The Brits for years didn't believe in chutes. The late Neal Williams broke the lower spar fitting on a Zlin, rolled the airplane inverted and got the wing more or less back in place. Flew the pattern inverted and at a very low altitude snap rolled the airplane upright and crashed on the runway, no injuries.

Uh....

Really?

:eek:

I mean...oh, yeah...well naturally. I think thats pretty much the textbook thing to do. I practice such things all the time. Admittedly not in an RV yet. Jim, I need to borrow your bird...K?

Not true for the Brits in gliders...:)

I learnt at Lasham in the late 60's and a chute was required for every flight that expected (i.e. any lift present or possible) to get above auto tow launch height - about 700 ft AGL.

It was a well enforced club rule common to many BGA glider clubs. Club rules were also enforced for private owners in their own gliders.

Burden of Proof

I have a friend who buzzed some people on a lake, got on youtube, FAA got on him. Just think before posting that roll, hammerhead or loop..no parachute...just saying.
I'm also FAA Safety Counselor.

Just like lateral cloud clearance limits for vfr, I believe it is very difficult to determine just exactly how far you are from another vessel. At this point, isn't the burden of proof on the FAA to determine that you were inside of such restriction? I'd be curious to exactly how this litigation came about. Be careful about calling someone out without citing the specific FAR.

Aerobatic FAR's

Please read the following FAR:
? 91.307 Parachutes and parachuting.
(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds?

(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or

(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.

So, the way I have always read this is that true, a pilot with no passengers does not require a chute, once you put a passenger in the plane, the pilot and passenger(s) must wear an approved chute. Or have I always read this wrong?

And yes, I am only talking United States FAR's. And yes, there are posts on youtube that show a passenger in the plane with no chute. Just be careful.

Are Kids reading?

Dear Guys, the video that make this thread posibly was published in a personal acount and not published directly on this page.

Why? because in the time that I folowed this forum there are some members that always look and write the bad things and not enjoy the viewing. I think all you guys are adult people that holds a PP licence so all of you must know yours country regulations, so why always look the bad and not look the good. There are some contries that not have your regulations, our fathers flyght above brigdes, stop piper cubs engines in flyght and pushed the prop siting in the tires etc... Now we flight with other regulations and other types of planes, so are different times.

When I make mi first flight in the RV i rotate the plane and go over the runway to check controls and the stability, then i make a 30 degree bank up at about 120 knots to take altitude and the posibility to get back in case of any emergency. you know that rvs can do it. ther was a lot of good coments in that thread but as i write over always are a member that critique something like the way i take the airplane up.

The thread looking shutes and others etc the same.

So Please enjoy, always we can do things better, but never lost the enjoy of flight, enjoy of see.

The flight was not maked in the us and there are no regulations that mentioned in the US fars dar etc.

Regards

Dear Guys, the video that make this thread posibly was published in a personal acount and not published directly on this page.

Why? because in the time that I folowed this forum there are some members that always look and write the bad things and not enjoy the viewing. I think all you guys are adult people that holds a PP licence so all of you must know yours country regulations, so why always look the bad and not look the good. There are some contries that not have your regulations, our fathers flyght above brigdes, stop piper cubs engines in flyght and pushed the prop siting in the tires etc... Now we flight with other regulations and other types of planes, so are different times.

When I make mi first flight in the RV i rotate the plane and go over the runway to check controls and the stability, then i make a 30 degree bank up at about 120 knots to take altitude and the posibility to get back in case of any emergency. you know that rvs can do it. ther was a lot of good coments in that thread but as i write over always are a member that critique something like the way i take the airplane up.

So Please enjoy, always we can do things better, but never lost the enjoy of flight, enjoy of see.

The flight was not maked in the us and there are no regulations that mentioned in the US fars dar etc.

Regards

Well spoken;)

For those people that like to fly high and good sightseen these is my Field/House in Chile, these is Ranco Lake, and Calcurrupe SCLF field, you are all welcome its only 6000 miles from KOSH :)

https://vimeo.com/61208586

ps: DR there is no Far violation

Regards,

as I said in the original post, I know the video was not shot in the us. I do not know the laws in chile, however, most countries laws do mirror ICAO rules.

the point made that this was a personal video shows just how fast things travel on the the internet. It made its way to the front page of this site. DR did remove it when he saw the content. did he need to, probably not, but it shows his concern for the members and the image that the public has of pilots and private flying.

As i said in the original post, I do not want to call out anybody for the way in which they fly. But, if people put video on the internet of acts that are against the FARS, then in this world of viral you tube it could be detrimental to the flying community as a whole. don't think so? we have a state senator in florida that has introduced a bill to require anger management classes to buy ammo.

bob burns
rv-4 N82RB

Regards

+1 .. No shortage of self-appointed fun police willing to turn your smile into a frown from a soap box.

Yes, although....

+1 .. No shortage of self-appointed fun police willing to turn your smile into a frown from a soap box.

Yes, although, sometimes those folks are acting in what they perceive to be the interests of all of us in preserving privileges that could be jeopardized by the unwise actions of a few.

So, I kinda see both sides of this....

JUST DON"T DO IT IN THE STREETS AND SCARE THE HORSES!

Muy Hermosa!

For those people that like to fly high and good sightseen these is my Field/House in Chile, these is Ranco Lake, and Calcurrupe SCLF field, you are all welcome its only 6000 miles from KOSH :)

https://vimeo.com/61208586

ps: DR there is no Far violation

Regards,

Senor Santibanez,

Thank you very much for sharing your videos, I enjoyed them very much! Your country is stunningly beautiful, you are a very lucky man to live there and enjoy such beauty and the freedoms of flight! I would like to come someday!:)

Muchas gracias!
Damon

Please read the following FAR:
? 91.307 Parachutes and parachuting.
(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any intentional maneuver that exceeds?

(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or

(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative to the horizon.

So, the way I have always read this is that true, a pilot with no passengers does not require a chute, once you put a passenger in the plane, the pilot and passenger(s) must wear an approved chute. Or have I always read this wrong?

And yes, I am only talking United States FAR's. And yes, there are posts on youtube that show a passenger in the plane with no chute. Just be careful.

I can't EVER recall any unusual attitude training that doesn't include a lead up that would be outside those limits. And what about spin training for CFI students?

Spins

I thought spin training for CFI was exempt for chute requirements??? If you only do one spin you could always say it was inadvertent.

Back