What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Experimental Anti Icing?

Geico266

Well Known Member
I ran across this product for anti icing. Interesting product to say the least. It would be fun to try it on airfoils and see how it performs. The leading edges of the prop, wing, and HS could use this product and maybe add a layer of protection for cold weather RV drivers.

http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry

Can we use experimental anti icing products on RV's? :confused:

Last edited:
Interesting to say the least. However, I'll be nice and let someone else test it under real conditions.:D

Can we use experimental anti icing products on RV's? :confused:

Im always surprised when folks ask if we can do something with our experimentals.
You can bolt a Briggs and Stratton Engine on, grab a boat oar paddle and bolt it on as a prop, pour Elmers glue on the wings to prevent anything from sticking to it, mount a kites to the tail, and knock your socks off. And of course you do not need an A&P sign off to do it.

Im always surprised when folks ask if we can do something with our experimentals.
You can bolt a Briggs and Stratton Engine on, grab a boat oar paddle and bolt it on as a prop, pour Elmers glue on the wings to prevent anything from sticking to it, mount a kites to the tail, and knock your socks off. And of course you do not need an A&P sign off to do it.

This is a little different, no a lot different. I'm talking about flying into known icing conditions, deicing on the ground, ect. Are there FARS that govern this with experimentals?

With experiments we can't just fly any way or any where we want. ;)

Last edited:
Interesting to say the least. However, I'll be nice and let someone else test it under real conditions.:D

Easy, apply it to one wing. :eek:

Seriously, it is pretty easy to find icing conditions around here. Are there any regs that keep us from trying this?

Easy, apply it to one wing. :eek:

Yeah... :eek: is right. Asymmetrical span load and lift distribution would not result in the fun meter being pegged hi. Testing of this nature is high risk. Please approach carefully.

Read 14 CFR 91.527. As usual your interpretation and those of the FAA lawyers will differ such that the advantage will reside with the government...

Yeah... :eek: is right. Asymmetrical span load and lift distribution would not result in the fun meter being pegged hi. Testing of this nature is high risk. Please approach carefully.

How about 1/2 of each wing?

Certainly would work on the belly for oil. :D

superhydrophobic

Just google superhydrophobic and deicing you will find research using these types of products for deicing.

I thought I read a study a while back for this getting approval for aircraft, but can't find it now.

Test

Why not start by treating a test surface (2' painted squares of aluminum)and placing them outside (along with untreated control pieces) during conditions that will heavily frost an airframe and see what happens. If results are positive then repeat the test with cheep box fans blowing over the surfaces to simulate airflow.....and so on... conservative test approch. Russ

This is a little different, no a lot different. I'm talking about flying into known icing conditions, deicing on the ground, ect. Are there FARS that govern this with experimentals?

With experiments we can't just fly any way or any where we want. ;)

For instance:

Sec. 91.527 ? Operating in icing conditions.

(a) No pilot may take off an airplane that has frost, ice, or snow adhering to any propeller, windshield, stabilizing or control surface; to a powerplant installation; or to an airspeed, altimeter, rate of climb, or flight attitude instrument system or wing, except that takeoffs may be made with frost under the wing in the area of the fuel tanks if authorized by the FAA.
(b) No pilot may fly under IFR into known or forecast light or moderate icing conditions, or under VFR into known light or moderate icing conditions, unless?

(1) The aircraft has functioning deicing or anti-icing equipment protecting each rotor blade, propeller, windshield, wing, stabilizing or control surface, and each airspeed, altimeter, rate of climb, or flight attitude instrument system;

(2) The airplane has ice protection provisions that meet section 34 of Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 23; or

(3) The airplane meets transport category airplane type certification provisions, including the requirements for certification for flight in icing conditions.

(c) Except for an airplane that has ice protection provisions that meet the requirements in section 34 of Special Federal Aviation Regulation No. 23, or those for transport category airplane type certification, no pilot may fly an airplane into known or forecast severe icing conditions.

(d) If current weather reports and briefing information relied upon by the pilot in command indicate that the forecast icing conditions that would otherwise prohibit the flight will not be encountered during the flight because of changed weather conditions since the forecast, the restrictions in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section based on forecast conditions do not apply.

[Doc. No. 18334, 54 FR 34314, Aug. 18, 1989, as amended by Amdt. 91?310, 74 FR 62696, Dec. 1, 2009]

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Just a note, the above quoted FAR (91.527) is in subpart F, "Large and Turbojet Aircraft", so it does not apply to RV's (at least, I don't know of anyone who's stuck a turbojet on one).

That being said, if anything goes wrong and involves ice the FAA can be pretty quick to pull the trigger on the "Careless and Reckless" clause. Assuming the pilot is still alive.

Also, pilots should know that it is FAA policy not to bring enforcement action against pilots based solely on Pireps. They know that if they did, no one would ever report icing.

Plus 1 - there's more to it than just protecting the leading edges of the wings.

The leading edges are not the first thing to get your attention in ice. The prop is usually the first thing to cause concern by icing and going well out of balance as the ice flings off in chunks.

I'm a duffer with lots of time flying in ice, and I have a simple rule: No "known ice" unless you are flying something with a minimum of two turbine engines and all the systems working. In a fat-winged little piston single, avoidance is the answer.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back