What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior/cockpit advice

ILikePike

Well Known Member
I am nearing the end of the canopy and need to make some decisions about the cockpit. I am planning to keep interior simple with nice learher seats and arm rest pads. In general terms, what would you do again and what would you change if you had it to do over again? Things like seat choices, switch and control locations, fresh air vents, interior lighting, etc.

I'm not a small guy and my elbows never get close to the "arm rests". I opted to not install any padding there and, instead, I made those spaces into "side pockets".

I'm not a small guy and my elbows never get close to the "arm rests". I opted to not install any padding there and, instead, I made those spaces into "side pockets".

I have to Agee wif Humpy.

I only put armrests in the front to finish the "look". If I was to do it again I would make pockets for storage and only put armrest in the back.

Flew 2 hours yesterday with arms resting on the canopy rail for about 1.7 of those. The auto flew while I did prop and speed/rpm testing. Cant ever imagine actually using the armrest. They look nice however... but they aren't exactly light.

I enclosed my fuel-pump... didn't need to. You dont see that area unless your ducking your head in below the rail while the plane is on the ground.

Back seat, the armrest seem more useful.

My GIB uses the arm rests all the time but I have NEVER used those I installed up front. Unless you are a wide person the elbow position isn't natural up front and too narrow to really comfortably let them rest.. YMMV

If you plan to fly with passengers in cool weather, consider heated seats! It gets mighty cold back there.

If you plan to fly with passengers in cool weather, consider heated seats! It gets mighty cold back there.

AGREE! Tom 'Redtail' Prokop just added a rear heated seat for his wife in their RV-8A :D Rosie

Leather

I bought the Rv-8 seat cushions from Van's. I also bought two cow hides locally and had the seat cushion covers made by a local upholsterer. I used the extra leather to cover the glare shield, arm rests, flap control housing next to back seat, and side pockets. I used spray on headliner glue to stick the leather on the epoxie painted sheet aluminum. It seems to be holding up well, is light and looks good. My mission is day/ night VFR, so I have an MGL Odyssey EFIS, MGL V-10 radio, Garmin 327 and the EXP DC Load Center to wire it all together. It came in at 1066 lbs. with paint and w/b pretty well centered.

My thoughts

I am nearing the end of the canopy ...

If still an option put handles on the roll bar to aid entry/egress.
On all the available sidewall spaces put pockets/bins/holders
Have your interior fabricator fashion you a tonneau cover that extends from the windscreen aft to near the canopy rail which will give you sun protection for the times when you don’t want to use the canopy cover (e.g., breakfast run).
Get the most comfortable seats regardless of cost (the phrase “pay me now or pay me later” comes to mind).
I had carpet in the front cockpit for a flight or two then removed it. The “slippery” floor has more utility for me.
One more vote for the “no armrests.”
I used Flightline Interiors which you’ll find well recommended in the “search” section.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am nearing the end of the canopy and need to make some decisions about the cockpit. I am planning to keep interior simple with nice learher seats and arm rest pads. In general terms, what would you do again and what would you change if you had it to do over again? Things like seat choices, switch and control locations, fresh air vents, interior lighting, etc.

If I had to do it over again - would not get the full leather side panels (Classic Interiors) again. They take up too much room in our 9 as nice as they are. Wife and I are not big, but not small either, so I guess that is relative. The tonnouea cover is awesome - keeps everything out of the sun and sight. On that note, would probably get the heated seats option next time.

Would not use the junk fresh air vents from Vans - they leak big time and in our weather (Alberta) are more than annoying. Will be updating that this spring.

Would not be without our Reiff pre-heaters. Have the cylinder bands, 2 oil sump and 1 oil cooler heaters - 1.5 hr plugged in and oil temp is 70 - 85 before startup. Unheated hangar and about 20 outside.

Two changes on the sticks switch - I would like the flap control on the stick and a PTT on the passenger side as well. No big deal - we bought it built, unpainted, no interior and couldn't be happier. (Thanks Troy :))

I haven't seen a whole lot of pricing information on sheepskin. How much does it typically run? And from whom?

I'd expect that most if not all upholsterers would have it available. Flightline Interiors does and not only has a great reputation, they made the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

But I can't say what the difference in cost is. Shouldn't be too much, though.

Dave

Our seats are ultraleather sportsman seats from Classic Aero Designs. Wouldn't change a thing about those.

I don't have any arm rests and haven't yet felt a need, I don't even think my elbows will reach that area in the front or back.

A stick boot setup for the rear is on my list of things to buy because I am getting a ton of cold air from that area in the winter.

Non skid on the floor is also on my list.

My rear passenger headphone jacks are all the way in the back rear behind where their elbow would be in the "arm rest". Turned out to be a perfect location.

If I had to do it over again - would not get the full leather side panels (Classic Interiors) again. They take up too much room in our 9 as nice as they are. Wife and I are not big, but not small either, so I guess that is relative. The tonnouea cover is awesome - keeps everything out of the sun and sight. On that note, would probably get the heated seats option next time.

Would not use the junk fresh air vents from Vans - they leak big time and in our weather (Alberta) are more than annoying. Will be updating that this spring.

Would not be without our Reiff pre-heaters. Have the cylinder bands, 2 oil sump and 1 oil cooler heaters - 1.5 hr plugged in and oil temp is 70 - 85 before startup. Unheated hangar and about 20 outside.

Two changes on the sticks switch - I would like the flap control on the stick and a PTT on the passenger side as well. No big deal - we bought it built, unpainted, no interior and couldn't be happier. (Thanks Troy :))

The Van's air vents do suck, but in the winter a little tape solves that problem.

What I like and recommend

1. 2 small eyeball fresh air vents on the panel. I bought a pair from Stein, I think they were mfg by Boeing for the F-16. Very nice and worth it.

2. Vetterman exhaust with mufflers. Each muffler has a built in heat muff that produces an abundance of heat. I placed two heater valves on the firewall, one in the middle of the floor and one plumbed to a large vent that is on the aft side of the front baggage panel. This one shoots hot air to the GIB.

3. Heated seats for sure. I often fly through the winter in the NE without a jacket.

4. Power outlet directly wired to the battery buss. This is very helpful, particularly when you want to trickle charge the battery or you need a 12v source without having to power up the master.

5. With heavy use of Foreflight and a GoPro camera I have an increase need for USB power ports that will charge an iPad and iPhone. To charge the iPad while in use you need a 2.1 amp charger. Just ordered one from Commit and it will be installed shortly.

6. Pockets to stash glasses, charts, checklists, pens, iPhone, .....

7. I had Flightline Interiors make some side panels. I would install them again in a heartbeat. Not only do they look nice but they also help keep the interior warm.

8. Music jack for iTunes, can't fly without it.

Last edited:
-8A Comfort

Sheepskin seat cover from Sporty's - really increases the comfort level of a "fighter-basic (no upholstry) cockpit.

My biggest fuss with the interior on our -12 is the velcro holding in the carpet near the rudder pedals, as not enough was supplied and carpet would shift and bind with the pedals. Always have to check that on pre-flight now.

colour???

would paint my interior some nice dark colour, maybe one of those hammer finish spray spackle finishes.....or just flat black or olive brab if a military scheme.
this is for reducing glare in the canopy, and better photos is a side benefit!
( maybe worse in a sbs than tandem?)

Back