What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTN-650

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Anyone who has installed a GTN-650 have trouble with the little configuration module wiring? How did you do it? Also, what does this thing do and what happens without it? Cannot seem to find details in Garmin literature. Seems kinda cheesy for a nearly $10K piece of avioinics.

Thx!

Ken

Did not have trouble with it but the wires are very small. I just crimped the pins the same as I did with the normal 22ga wires. I think those config module wires are like 28 or 30ga. Way too small!

I do not have or use the high dollar mil spec high density pin crimper. I use a Paladin crimper that is a little better than the el-cheapo crimper that most use for normal density pins. It seems to do a decent job with the high density pins.

I am not sure what won't work without the config module. I see there is an alert warning when the module is not present or not working.

It is my understanding that the config module stores things like your configuration settings as well as license information for things like the 16W COM option and or TWAS option. It may also have something to do with the system ID and database validation.

The good thing is that once it is installed and wired, most likely you won't ever have to mess with it again....

Ditto what Brian said. Except I have the cheaper SAT-004 4-way crimper from Stein. I do have 2 dies though -- 1 for normal density pins and 1 for the high-density pins. I used the high-density one and it worked just fine with a little work. The wires by themselves were too small to crimp with the high-density die, so I simply stripped double the amount of insulation off normally required for pin installation and folded the extra wire back on itself to "locally" increase the wire's diameter in order to get the pin to crimp and hold. Probably not the best solution but it worked.

Last edited:
Me three.......

I used a Daniels crimper and didn't have an issue installing. I'll power up the panel next weekend, which will be the real test if it's installed correctly.

bob

Data points

The G3X touch (GDU 460) also comes with one of these configuration modules.

It came with a pigtail wire that had a very small "micro" molex connector (making up words here) on the other end.

The config module wires were 24 AWG in my case, so I used the DMC AFM8 crimper and K13-1 positioner set on #5 for the sockets.

It looks like it crimped just fine. As Bob said, the real test is power up, but so far so good. I'm not sure why the Positronic tool is recommended in the Garmin install manual.

I have a 650 and have not even heard of this configuration module, so apparently it's not needed for normal ops.

With the 650, the configuration module is indeed needed...all the time - it won't work without it. You may not see it because it's buried inside the actual backshell and isn't readily noticeable.

Also, if you have problems getting that small wire into the pins, sometimes looping it back on itself will help give you extra "bite" into the wire when you crimp it.

Cheers,
Stein

Yeah......for a 750 as well....what on earth caused this stuff up? Clearly a design oops.

Any rumours Stein?

Yeah......for a 750 as well....what on earth caused this stuff up? Clearly a design oops.

Any rumours Stein?

At first we all were of the same thought process...as in "WTF", but after using it awhile we've come to find those little modules quite brilliant. In fact nothing sort of a design oops at all. It's quite calculated and quite on purpose.

You see, if you remove the box, or update the software, or have it repaired, etc.. (which sometimes whipes out all your settings) it keeps all of your configuration data stored nicely inside the backshell. In the past, you either had to have photographs of all your configs, had a good record of all your settings, etc.. Now, if you pay attention you can pull out your unit, have it completely zeroed out and put it back in (or remove/replace with another one) and 'upload' all of your config data right from it's on backshell. It also will help in theft situation as well (since it won't work with one, and it's VERY hard to get one, that will cut down on the online quick sales where someone gets screwed).

Also, the same is true for the EFISes they make. We've also found this quite invaluable when replacing, changing, or troubleshooting. If all your configuration data is stored in the wiring itself, then it makes resetting your device SO much quicker. Basically, this comes from the heavy iron world where most of the avionics are true LRU's - it's just now filtering down to us small guys. For us little airplane drivers we aren't necessarily losing money when the airplane is parked, but with something big like a whale minutes can mean huge piles of money...so swapping stuff out and having the configurations easily update is good.

Yes it can be a pain upfront, but we've come to like the time and headache they can save down the road.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I thought every IFR GPS had a similar thing - certainly the elderly (ancient?) KLN 89B and KLN 94 have a configuration module that lives in the backplane of the mounting tray and holds similar kinds of information.

Garmin Configuration Module

Adding to what Stein said, another reason for the configuration module is to provide a unique and secure 13 character System ID.

Everyone using FlyGarmin and Jeppesen for database updates knows that the System ID is what identifies your system and makes it possible to distribute databases specific to your system.

Since the System ID stays with the aircraft in the backshell of a connector, you never have to worry about your System ID changing should you ever need to change out G3X displays or the GTN.

Not that you ever would, but you could change out every display in a G3X system and use the previously created database card to install databases in the new displays because they will receive their System ID from the configuration module.

Like a previous poster, I have never had any trouble using the Daniels AFM8 crimper with K13-1 positioner set to 6 to make a good crimp on the config module wires using the 336-00022-01 contacts made for this wire. If you are having to double back the wires, you are using the wrong contact for this 28 AWG wire.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.....it sure did look like an afterthought.

After the GNS530W which did not have it, it was a suprise little packet in the box when I found it.

Mystery Config module

After several flights with the 650 alert " Config module needs service," I bought a new one figuring the "old" one was kaput. I was solemnly warned to document the 650 settings, as the config module was the keeper of the keys!

The pins were crimped without fanfare & held-up to a gentle tug.

Believing the settings are documented in the AFS manual, I proceeded to ignore the warning & installed the new config module & voila .. To my great surprise & delight all the settings were there. Immediately, the config mod function became a total mystery.

BTW, the new module is encased in clear plastic; a definite improvement over the previous design.

I thought every IFR GPS had a similar thing - certainly the elderly (ancient?) KLN 89B and KLN 94 have a configuration module that lives in the backplane of the mounting tray and holds similar kinds of information.

This is one of those "kinda sort but not really" things. That config module in the KLN's actually only really stores 4 main things:

1) Whether or not the Alt.Alert function is enabled (yes/no).
2) Whether or not a fuel mgt system is interfaced (yes/no).
3) Whether or not an Air Data Computer is interfaced (yes/no).
4) Conditions for bus voltage alert activate.

That's about it. It actually does not store any real configuration data of the unit (as in port settings, interface setup, system id's, baud rates, etc..).

To Chaz's point, there is a way with many of these new units to "Update TO the config module" or "Update FROM the config module"...though this is not an absolute on every unit from every mgr.

Cheers,
Stein

Back