What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gascolator gasket

seagull

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if Aircraft Spruce sells the gasket "O Ring" for our gascolator?

Vans describes it as "O Ring Gasket GAS 3,4,5,6" part number "GAS-3-4-5 GASKET"

I am fortunate to have a Spruce close by and they will deliver to the local airport, since I am picking up a case of oil I wanted to add this to the order. Unfortunately because of the delivery I can't take a sample to match.

From a long ago post: Wick’s P/N USH-226-V75 Gasket. $1.79 at the time of the post. Hope that works for you.

Thanks for the Wicks / Usher #.
Aircraft Spruce is where I am ordering from, nothing crosses over there.

Boycotting Wicks for their lack of a stand on the Georgia voting act?😝

Not at all, never gave it a thought.

As I explained in the first post I will be picking up an order from Spruce tomorrow and wanted to put it on the order. It is for inventory not an immediate need.

Good sleuthing Ninerbikes;
I copied the wrong line, it's the bowl gasket I was looking for,

Description; GAS-1 Bowl gasket Part number; GAS-1 GASKET

It might be this one on that list, I'll have to measure one;
M83248/1-138

Is this still the lube of choice for the O-Ring on the gascolator bowl gasket, Dupont Molycote 4 (Formerly Dow Corning DC-4)?

I’m curious, so I’ll ask question here… Has anyone found anything of consequence when disassembling/inspecting Gascolator?

The reason I ask is the Gascolator, by design, is a self-cleaning unit. Water, being heavier than gasoline, is extracted thru the bottom drain valve. Likewise, any foreign particles small enough will slip around the small O-ring and through the drain valve. The fine mesh screen at the top of the unit should remain clean because fuel flow is slowed in the unit and vibration will most likely cause any particles attached to the screen to fall loose. Its doubtful any large particles will find their way into the Gascolator because they would first have to pass through fuel tank finger screen, the in-line Facet electric fuel pump, and then the fuel flow transducer.

One very well soaked cottonwood seed, stuck to the screen. That's all I've ever found.

Water settles to the bottom and can be drained.

Fine particle contaminants tend to stick to the screen. The only way to remove is is to disassemble and clean the screen.

There are many posts here in the forum about people finding a lot of material on the filter screen. Most of the time this is shortly after the airplanes first flight. At times it has been enough to cause reduced fuel pressure indications.

Last edited:
I used to use DC-4 but think it gets a bit gummy after awhile and makes the bowl tougher to remove. Now I just smear a touch of grease around the inside of the bowl housing and all is well.

ps -- On two occasions, I have found a slimy jelly-like substance on the screen. It appears to dissolve as soon as you touch it. Maybe something in the mogas/ethanol mix? I have never found any water or particles in the fuel bowl (95% use of fresh mogas/ethanol).

At last condition inspection this is what I found on the gascolator screen
Never have found anything in the screen from the tank to the main fuel line.

Last edited:
Jim,

Your analysis would be correct if the flow rate through the screen was sufficiently high to flush off debris, but there is at best a trickle when you open the drain valve. I wish you were right because the gascolator cleaning and inspection is one of the biggest PITA tasks at annual!

Rich

Back